OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: questions about the patches under "openwrt\target\linux\omap35xx"

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I am using openwrt version 12.09. There are three patch folders "patches-2.6.32" "patches-2.6.36" "patches-3.0". I think they are all special patch for omap35x. But I see the config file is "config-2.6.32", and in the "Makefile", it has "LINUX_VERSION:=2.6.32.33", so it means openwrt for omap35xx  uses the 2.6.32.33 kernel, my question is the openWRT will also apply "patches-2.6.36" "patches-3.0" or just apply "patches-2.6.32"?

And If I set  "LINUX_VERSION:=3.0" in "Makefile" and use "config-3.0", it will only apply the "patches-3.0" or it will also apply "patches-2.6.32" and "patches-2.6.36"

If you wanna find out yourself, do this under your OpenWRT root directory:

1. Execute make target/linux/prepare QUILT=1

2. Change directory to buil_dir/target-<platform>/linux-<platform>/linux-<version> directory, then execute quilt series and see which patches are listed.

Thank you very much, mazilo.

I did the test.

It will apply the generic patches first, then apply the matched platform patch. If use  "LINUX_VERSION:=3.0", it only applies "patches-3.0"

one more question:
I can get the whole beaglebone-3.2 patchset for kernel3.2 from the link: https://github.com/beagleboard/kernel

How can I apply all the patches? Should I just create one folder named "patches-3.2" and put all the patches into the folder?

Or I have already one kernel version 3.2 source code for beaglebone. Can I just use this source code and apply the patches of openWRT and make openWRT run on beaglebone?

Thank you.

michaelhu wrote:

one more question:
I can get the whole beaglebone-3.2 patchset for kernel3.2 from the link: https://github.com/beagleboard/kernel

How can I apply all the patches? Should I just create one folder named "patches-3.2" and put all the patches into the folder?

I have never done thing like this. However, you can give it a try. If OpenWRT doesn't support kernel v3.2, then you will have to edit the Makefile (wild guess) to include kernel v3.2.

Or I have already one kernel version 3.2 source code for beaglebone. Can I just use this source code and apply the patches of openWRT and make openWRT run on beaglebone?

Again, I have never done this before. So, your guess is as good as mine.

Thank you, mazilo.

By the way, how can I judge what kind of kernel the openwrt support? I know the latest version of openwrt support the kernel 3.3.8. I saw in the kernel-version.mk which is under "include", there are bunches defines about the "LINUX_VERSION". I assume openwrt supports all of them. While, I changed omap4 kernel version from 3.3.8 to 3.2.16 to test. It gives me errors as follows:

touch "/home/hui/openwrt/build_dir/linux-omap4/linux-3.2.16/.quilt_checked"
/home/hui/openwrt/scripts/kconfig.pl    > /home/hui/openwrt/build_dir/linux-omap4/linux-3.2.16/.config.target
Parse error at /home/hui/openwrt/scripts/kconfig.pl line 137.
make[4]: *** [/home/hui/openwrt/build_dir/linux-omap4/linux-3.2.16/.configured] Error 255
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/hui/openwrt/target/linux/omap4'
make[3]: *** [compile] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/hui/openwrt/target/linux'
make[2]: *** [target/linux/compile] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/hui/openwrt'
make[1]: *** [/home/hui/openwrt/staging_dir/target-arm_v7-a_uClibc-0.9.33.2_eabi/stamp/.target_compile] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/hui/openwrt'
make: *** [world] Error 2

And if I still use the default setting--3.3.8, it will run successfully. So I just wonder whether the openwrt just support one kernel version? Thank you.

The discussion might have continued from here.