OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WD N600 support

The content of this topic has been archived between 1 Apr 2018 and 1 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I will check my net and tell you tommorow. I have smo dropouts on the first firmware but according to dates and hours (29.09 01:33) on firmware download they change firmaware, try put last firmware.

Update: No dropuots of WiFi on Android. Maybe you must check your Android device

(Last edited by istarenki on 1 Oct 2013, 11:39)

Hi,
I have a N600 router on my network with a PC, Laptop, Blu-ray (DLNA support), Samsung TV (DLNA support) and 2 andoid phones. Only the laptop and phones are wireless connected. Also I have an external WD Passport HDD connected to the router USB.
I don't know why I can't stream my video files .mkv through DLNA from my external HDD (avi, mp4 works). I can see all the video files but can't stream .mkv files
Is this a problem with N600 routers or with my settings?
The firmware is 1.04.
If you have a solution for this I will be happy to try it.
Please help me!!!

marighiz wrote:

Is this a problem with N600 routers or with my settings?
The firmware is 1.04.

This firmware has nothing to do with OpenWRT. You should contact WD about these problems.

I know that,
I just asking if you know something about this problem and if openwrt solved this issue with the custom firmware (I saw that it's a firmware posted here for this router).
Or can you tell me what are the features of openwrt firmware. (I'm rookie in this branch).
thanks

I have similar configuration like you. 2 samsung tv (wifi) + plus laptop + desktop etc. I had similar problem like you and openwrt solve mkv and other problema. But, smile it is not so simple configure that some problems still exist but reason for that is that I am noob for openwrt.

(Last edited by istarenki on 7 Oct 2013, 23:06)

istarenki wrote:

I have similar configuration like you. 2 samsung tv (wifi) + plus laptop + desktop etc. I had similar problem like you and openwrt solve mkv and other problema. But, smile it is not so simple configure that some problems still exist but reason for that is that I am noob for openwrt.

What you mean to say with "similar problem"?
Did not work for you either .mkv files on TV, but have worked on PC and laptop?

Yes, I did not watch mkv movies from hdd attached to n600 on tv and it was one of main reason why I went on openwrt. Now everything works fine.

(Last edited by istarenki on 8 Oct 2013, 14:14)

istarenki wrote:

Yes, I did not watch mkv movies from hdd attached to n600 on tv and it was one of main reason why I went on openwrt. Now everything works fine.

This is a good news.
Can you tell me (or everyone) if I can return to the stock firmware if I want it?
Can you tell me what are the benefits of this firmware? (I'm a rookie on this)
Please give me a link or some steps to:
-install openwrt (I have found the post with some steps for my net N600, but I'm not sure if this is the one that I should use: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/wd/n600)
-return to stock firmware, also.

Thanks guys.

istarenki wrote:

...and what TV series have you?

Samsung 32 seria 5 with wifi dongle and 50f6400

(Last edited by istarenki on 9 Oct 2013, 21:17)

This is a good news.
Can you tell me (or everyone) if I can return to the stock firmware if I want it?
Can you tell me what are the benefits of this firmware? (I'm a rookie on this)
Please give me a link or some steps to:
-install openwrt (I have found the post with some steps for my net N600, but I'm not sure if this is the one that I should use: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/wd/n600)
-return to stock firmware, also.

Thanks guys.

No one knows?
Please help

My sugestion, start with link from your post and try. About returning a stock firmware, I do no know.

Hi. I installed OpwnWRT on my WD N600 and it works great.
However, I purchased this router for one reason only, that is to create a multiwan setup.
I followed the install methods found on Openwrt documentation and on Google, but I get an error while trying to install the package in LuCI.

Here is a copy of what error comes up:

Installing luci-app-multiwan (svn-r9916-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … r71xx.ipk.
Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for luci-app-multiwan:
*     kernel (= 3.10.13-1-804226e8f21c1e28abf6ca7f7cc8d0d8) *     kernel (= 3.10.13-1-804226e8f21c1e28abf6ca7f7cc8d0d8) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci-app-multiwan.

Is multiwan supported on this device?
Any help please?
Thanks in advance.

I had same mistake and on one of forum I found that after you download firmware to avoid this type of error you have to immediatly instant luci and other packeks. Download again firmware and immediatly install luci and all packages what you need. Time frame is about 24 hours. I do not know about multiwan sad

(Last edited by istarenki on 11 Oct 2013, 15:04)

Hi,
I am an OpenWRT NOOB and want to get OpenWRT working on my WD mynet 750 router. The only difference with mynet 600 is that it has 2 USB ports and gigabit LAN. RAM/CPU/FLASH specs are same.
Could someone guide me on how to change the source files for mynet 600 to get a build for my device?
Thanks.

Could someone please telnet to this router(mynet 600) w/ stock firmware and post the results of "cat /proc/mtd".
Should this change when OpenWRT is installed?
If not, even those who are running OpenWRT can access the router via telnet/ssh and post this.
Thanks.

Hi,
I installed openwrt and now I try to figure it out how to get dlna work
I installed luci-app-minidlna and shared my folders but when I try to restart minidlna (from putty) I get a meesage:
"Command 'cd " minidlna.c:495: error: Media directory entry not understood!"'
failed with return code 2 and error message
-ash: cd: line 73: can't cd to  minidlna.c:495: error: Media directory entry not understood!."
I think this is the problem. I can't see the files on my TV and the Minidlna status is "The miniDLNA service is active, serving 0 audio, 0 video and 0 image files."
I can access the files form my PC (they are shared on the network)
I tryed ushare too but I see the files and I can not ply them.
Can anyoune help me? Please

I figure it out that the error form above dissapear when I erase "media_dir=P," from Media directories tab.
But the problem remain. I can't see any folders and any files through minidlna but I can see them through ushare but I can not play them.

(Last edited by marighiz on 8 Dec 2013, 17:18)

I just thought I'd let people know of a firmware I've built with two extra patches by Felix on the openwrt-devel mailing list.

This seems to fix the problems with signal strengths that this router had.

Download link to the binary here:
https://www.crc.id.au/2014/01/10/wd-myn … rt-update/

abhishek.anand.iitg wrote:

Hi,
I am an OpenWRT NOOB and want to get OpenWRT working on my WD mynet 750 router. The only difference with mynet 600 is that it has 2 USB ports and gigabit LAN. RAM/CPU/FLASH specs are same.
Could someone guide me on how to change the source files for mynet 600 to get a build for my device?
Thanks.

Look at the link on my above post - it has a firmware binary for the N750 as well.

I got a WD MyNet N 600, yesterday. I am trying to install OpenWRT based on the instructions in the wiki.

I can browse to 192.168.1.1 but when I try to upload openwrt-ar71xx-generic-mynet-n600-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin, I get an error message - "Invalid image file." The WD firmware is 1.01.20

Please let me what I might be doing wrong/ how to correct this.

Also, with OpenWRT allow me to use this router as a repeater?

Thanks

(Last edited by shikarishambu on 11 Jan 2014, 04:04)

shikarishambu wrote:

I got a WD MyNet N 600, yesterday. I am trying to install OpenWRT based on the instructions in the wiki.

I can browse to 192.168.1.1 but when I try to upload openwrt-ar71xx-generic-mynet-n600-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin, I get an error message - "Invalid image file." The WD firmware is 1.01.20

Thanks

I was able to do it with openwrt-ar71xx-generic-mynet-n600-squashfs-factory.bin. On to configuring it. Any idea if N600 can be used as a repeater/ extender (not wired Access Point)?

shikarishambu wrote:

Thanks

I don't think you're holding the reset button down to get into recovery mode. Re-read the instructions on the WD N600 wiki page.

CRC wrote:
shikarishambu wrote:

Thanks

I don't think you're holding the reset button down to get into recovery mode. Re-read the instructions on the WD N600 wiki page.

I installed openwrt-ar71xx-generic-mynet-n600-squashfs-factory.bin - is there a difference between that and sysupgrade if I am installing it for the first time? I am struggling to get LuCi installed - actually can't seem to get on the web - connected the router directly to the cable modem - the power light and the globe light is on.

UPDATE: After a few hours and one cable modem reboot (not sure why I didn't do that before) I got Luci installed. I then tried to setup repeater using  a) http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/relayclient and b) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rbsh2zxPnk

The wiki instructions results in a "bridge" interface that is connected to main router SSID. I don't see a new SSID created at the end. In the youtube video - the person seems to be creating multiple SSID on same radio. I was not able to enable both SSID on the same radio in WD MyNet N 600. Any ideas how to extend signal/use N600 as repeater?

(Last edited by shikarishambu on 12 Jan 2014, 01:30)

anybody know where mtd partition structure definition in openwrt source code?
to be exact where to define this mtd partition structure?
0x0000001e0060-0x000000b0f060 : "rootfs"
0x000000fd0000-0x000000fe0000 : "devrev2"
0x000000fd0000-0x000000ff0000 : "devrev3"
0x000000fe0000-0x000000ff0000 : "devrev1"
0x000000ff0000-0x000001000000 : "radiocfg"

My whole SPI firmware chip is corrupted
Can anybody dump u-boot partition and radiocfg partition?

The discussion might have continued from here.