OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: to make a small ft232 board for inside ttl

The content of this topic has been archived on 26 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

i see some guys just use a inside pcb conver micro usb to ttl inside route,i think that's pretty cool,so i wana design some smaller board to doing that,but if i just make few board,it's kind cost,so i think why i make a preorder so i can make some more pcs to the board.

so here is what i think:
* a small board,just covert micro usb to ttl,and a 3.3v power supply.
* it's very small ,just fit like the chip of ft232
* it's with a smt tiny switch,you can switch off the ttl function,in case you dont wana it.
* with a small led...i think it not need..yeah,maybe dont need it,but i wana use it to show the function is work..when switch off,it off too..

there a lot board use pl2302,it's more chip,but i wana use ft232,it's dont because change the usb port so change the com port.

so my think is the preorder of this board is 4.8us for one pcs,just for the preorde.

and the roadmap is:
2013-5-28 start design the pcb
2013-6-8 stop preorder
2013-6-9 start make pcb,and buy the chip
2013-6-20 start shiper the pcb we make

i dont if it's a good idea,or a bad idea...but i think put it in some route,is cool,like wr703,so we dont need a specal cable any more.

so i put it to the ebay sore,here is it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171048044328

for now,this my sketch for what i thought:
http://see.sl088.com/w/images/7/79/FT232-mini-board-sketchA2.png

i think this the five hardware we design

(Last edited by slboat on 28 May 2013, 18:39)

It's bad idea. I can buy USB-UART adapter for 1,5 USD.... can you make it cheaper? smile

pepe2k wrote:

It's bad idea. I can buy USB-UART adapter for 1,5 USD.... can you make it cheaper? smile

the chipper is ft232,if use pl2302,it's can be really chiper(in china,we can buy it in 3.6rmb,that's about 0.6us),but that's not what i wana.

(Last edited by slboat on 27 May 2013, 17:15)

slboat wrote:

the chipper is ft232,if use pl2302,it's can be really chiper(in china,we can buy it in 3.6rmb,that's about 0.6us),but that's not what i wana.

If you can not make it cheaper than 1,5 USD... don't waste your time smile

pepe2k wrote:
slboat wrote:

If you can not make it cheaper than 1,5 USD... don't waste your time smile

sometimes do tupid thing is more good doing smart thing,so i will doing it,just for small and fun

I have one question... how to use the small switch if the adapter is closed inside the router box? I made a lot of that kind of modification and didn't even think about making switch to disable USB-UART adapter... simply because in idle it doesn't take more than few mA...

pepe2k wrote:

I have one question... how to use the small switch if the adapter is closed inside the router box? I made a lot of that kind of modification and didn't even think about making switch to disable USB-UART adapter... simply because in idle it doesn't take more than few mA...

not for power,that's mostly for personly reason,i wana it sometime just shutoff,dont give a com port in pc,specail you have not install the driver,so you can close it at all.so i can use it just for power.

and i will put it with the back shell
http://see.sl088.com/w/images/8/85/Slboat_eos_1726.JPG

The discussion might have continued from here.