OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Which mini pci card (atheros?) for Asus WL500g Premium v1?

The content of this topic has been archived on 1 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

My router seems to be working OK, but I was having problems with the wireless.  I have reinstalled Attitude Adjustment a number of time, change my configs, and then once I enable wireless... the power light shuts off, the wireless light shuts off, then all lights shut off then flash back on, and the cycle repeats forever... even after a reboot.

I'm thinking that maybe the wireless card is fried, and perhaps it's finally time to put an atheros card in here.

Is there anything in particular I should look for??  Or are all atheros chipsets supported on Attitude Adjustment??

I'd suggest to check your PSU first, most wall warts aren't of particularly good quality (including theWLl-500gP) and may not provide enough power anymore (aging capacitors).

If your PSU isn't the problem (although your descriptions sounds a lot like that), I'd rather suggest to replace the whole router with a modern design - which won't be much more expensive than a semi-decent replacement mini-pci wlan card, while at the same time offering GBit/s ethernet switches and actually the processing power to drive 802.11n (or dual-radio).

So on this router, is the psu considered the a/c adapter, or is there an actual box inside with wires??  Thinking just the adapter, but want to make sure.

I actually did have a problem with loading too much power thru a surge protector connected to one socket in the wall, and that one socet is looking rather crispy now.  Replaced the surge protector, but this problem has been intermittent until yesterday.  Now there's no wireless at all.

I would imagine that a new adapter and mini pci card wouldn't be much more than $20.  At least not on eBay.

Is there another router with more ram, atheros chipset, and usb 3.0 ports that I should be considering??

Yes, the PSU is the a/c adapter. Although there is also a step-down circuit inside the router, which might cause problems due to aged capaciators. About other routers with more power, check the table of hardware in the wiki.

I kinda meant is there a typical recommendtion in terms of value?

The ToH does not include pricing and availability.  I'm always looking for a good bang for my buck.

Well... I was looking for some new routers, and the Netgear WNDR4700 looked nice, altho definitely way more than I'd realistically want to pay right now.  Altho, it does seem awfully convenient and would make backups extra easy.

I decided to just go ahead and purchase an ac adapter from Radio Shack for around $43 after taxes.  sad   It is rated for 2.0 amps, while the original, stock plug is rated for 2.5 amps.  And the plug doesn't EXACTLY fit, but if I just set it still in one position, it manages to keep working... wireless, too!!  I guess I'm going to order a replacement adapter and take this one back to "The Shack".  smile

How important do you guys think the 2.0 -vs- 2.5 amp issue is for the adapter?  If 2.0 works, is that an acceptable replacement?

(Last edited by grndslm on 25 May 2013, 04:59)

Thanks for the suggestion, slh.  You were most definitely right.

I'm still interested in getting a mini pci atheros chipset, tho.  Will 12.09 (Attitude) support ALL atheros chipsets?  Is there anything in particular I should be looking for?? ... specific to OpenWRT?  ... or specific to the WL500gP?

The discussion might have continued from here.