OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Quallcomm qca9558/TP-Link WDR7500 support

The content of this topic has been archived between 1 May 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

el_goretto wrote:

On the wiki:

For the Archer C7 v1.x and WDR7500 v2.x, the 5GHz 802.11a/n/ac functionality is not supported, and likely will never be, since support for the AR1A (v1) variant of QCA9880 chip is not included in the open source ath10k driver.

Thanks for that information, it's a shame. Can the mini PCIE card (or preferably even the microchip to save on cost and waste) be replaced and if so, any recommendations on what with?

Ubcqtml wrote:
el_goretto wrote:

On the wiki:

For the Archer C7 v1.x and WDR7500 v2.x, the 5GHz 802.11a/n/ac functionality is not supported, and likely will never be, since support for the AR1A (v1) variant of QCA9880 chip is not included in the open source ath10k driver.

Thanks for that information, it's a shame. Can the mini PCIE card (or preferably even the microchip to save on cost and waste) be replaced and if so, any recommendations on what with?

Would it not be both easier and cheaper to sell off the OpenWRT incompatible router locally and buy the supported C5/C7 instead?

el_goretto wrote:
el_goretto wrote:

I have an issue though (archer C5 with OpenWRT BB):
After 24H of being up, the 5GHz radio (configured to do 802.11ac like in the wiki) gets crappy, almost no traffic can pass through it (measured with a Nexus 7: from 100Mb/s right after boot to 0.1Mb/s the day after).

After 24h, when the bandwith collapses on 5GHz, I get this spammed in the logs:

Sat Oct  4 11:49:48 2014 kern.warn kernel: [174407.140000] ath10k: Spurious quick kickout for STA <MAC_address_of_nexus7>

I reflashed the router to see if the problem could come from the reghack "patch" I applied (btw, that's crazy the vanilla restrictions OpenWRT enforce on this band!)

Without the reghack applied, it seems to be much better. The issue is not 100% reproducible now.
I'll keep going testing and confirm this.

(Last edited by el_goretto on 12 Mar 2015, 10:42)

el_goretto wrote:

Without the reghack applied, it seems to be much better. The issue is not 100% reproducible now.

It's been a week without the issue. I'll reboot and see if that's related to the 5GHz channel it binds to (I configured the channel 48 (like it is now) but it oftens takes the 44 by itself).

el_goretto wrote:
el_goretto wrote:

It's been a week without the issue. I'll reboot and see if that's related to the 5GHz channel it binds to (I configured the channel 48 (like it is now) but it oftens takes the 44 by itself).

No luck. Happened again.
So reghack is not involved in this issue.

My only solution would be to try trunk/CC? Nobody has issues with 5GHz band on BB?
The only notable change I made is to set the bridge (LAN: wifi/switch) interface "unmanaged" instead of letting an IP address on it.

Hi,

I've setup a build from CC trunk (r44918) for Archer C5/C7 targets:

• DFS support fully enabled (following wiki instructions: replaced wpad-mini by hostapd & wpa-supplicant)

• removed artificial ath regulatory limitations (wiki source): ATH_USER_REGD=y

• Added ath10k driver

• Added luci interface

I'v included the .config file resulting so that you can reuse it or check if I did anything wrong here smile

You'll find images, .config and checksums here: <<download link>>

I'm actually using the C5 build (I upgraded from BB using  the sysupgrade image).
The good news:

• DFS is really working, regulatory domains are finally correctly enforced. A whole new world full of shiny (and legit) channels is at hand smile

• Setting "auto" channel for 5GHz band is working

The things that can be improved:

• You'll have to correct the LEDs settings: by default, both WLAN LEDs are set to the same event. Bind the 2,4 LED to phy1 and 5 LED to phy0 and it's fixed.

• The webUI has the legacy theme/look. Well, I personnaly don't care at all. I've build the OpenWRT theme though, so if you know how to switch the theme, feel free to share smile [edit: go to "System->System->Language and Style->Design"]

I'll report later if my issue is fixed.

(Last edited by el_goretto on 28 Mar 2015, 21:44)

Thanks el_goretto. I'm eager to find out whether your issue is fixed with this newer build. There have been several ath10k driver and firmware fixes added since BB.

Hi, i have a router WDR7500 v3 and i change the flash from 8 to 16Mb
I guess i made some mistake and  not able to get anymore running OpenWRT . I have access to console using serial port also i can program the flash in a standalone programmer.
Can i get a complete dump from a version 2 or some steps to use old firmware (to accept 16Mb)
thank you in advance

Some update: the issue I had with my Archer C5 is gone ([edit]see this ticket, may be related[/edit]). BUT. I have a new one (less critical) that may or may not be a new form of the previous issue smile
"After a while" (I'll try to see when or what cause this), the 5GHz wlan interface decides to change the channel from whatever it was (for ex: 112 (when manual) or 116 (when auto) from my tests) to "36", the very first channel on 5GHz band (5180 MHz):

daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: IEEE 802.11 driver had channel switch: freq=5180, ht=1, offset=1, width=3, cf1=5210, cf2=0

That may be due to DFS being defective or a new form of my previous issue. But this time the bandwith is unharmed. ([edit] I'll follow this ticket to see if that's related[/edit])

Unrelated, but as I wondered how to do that: to change for the "bootstrap" WebUI theme instead of the OpenWRT legacy one, go to "System->System->Language and Style->Design".

(Last edited by el_goretto on 29 Mar 2015, 19:36)

Hi everyone! Great job for posting all this useful info!

1. Sorry for chiming in like this, but may I ask why is it necessary to upgrade the flash from 8mb to 16mb on the WDR7500 v3 ? I'm asking because I found a seller on aliexpress who ships the WDR7500 with openwrt preinstalled. Asked him about the size of the flash and he said it's 8mb. He claims that 5GHz works fine and everything is perfect(like any seller would do meh..).

So can anyone tell me what will the router lack if it gets openwrt with only 8mb flash?

2. Also the only difference between Archer C7 v2 and WDR7500 v3 seems it is the antennas. THe ARcher C7 v2 has 3 external and 3 internal the WDR7500 has 6 external. The price nowdays seems almost identical, or very close. Is there a point in getting the WDR7500 for the 3 extra external antennas?

(Last edited by spiritfly on 29 Mar 2015, 04:51)

Just a heads up...

I'd been running CC on my C7 V2 for a few months without much issue and decided today to upgrade to the latest trunk dated 28/3/15. It didn't go so well. After the upgrade the C7 kept rebooting. I was able get into failsafe and undo my wireless config. Once  I did that it stopped rebooting, which points the finger at the Wireless config. I tried for a few hours to get it working by going back to a basic config, however, even with the stock openwrt wireless config, any attempt to use the OpenWRT SSIDs would result in a reboot of the router.

I ended up going back to BB and everything is fine again.

bards1888 wrote:

Just a heads up...

I'd been running CC on my C7 V2 for a few months without much issue and decided today to upgrade to the latest trunk dated 28/3/15. It didn't go so well. After the upgrade the C7 kept rebooting. I was able get into failsafe and undo my wireless config. Once  I did that it stopped rebooting, which points the finger at the Wireless config. I tried for a few hours to get it working by going back to a basic config, however, even with the stock openwrt wireless config, any attempt to use the OpenWRT SSIDs would result in a reboot of the router.

I ended up going back to BB and everything is fine again.

This is exactly what happened to me. I upgrade trunk builds 2-3 times a week and have been doing so for quite some time. This is the first time I ever had to use failsafe mode to restore to an older firmware.  The build at issue was r45064. I couldn't narrow it down to the wireless configuration, though, so I just ended up restoring to an older version.

I live in China and i need it to setup an OpenVPN client, all was working wireless 2.5, 5Ghz
I didn't find any trunk which was working with option obfuscation so i decide to go to 16M.
Whatever now i am waiting to get socket for IC and try to update my art partition to make it running to have wireless

spiritfly wrote:

Hi everyone! Great job for posting all this useful info!

1o can anyone tell me what will the router lack if it gets openwrt with only 8mb flash?

2. Also the only difference between Archer C7 v2 and WDR7500 v3 seems it is the antennas. THe ARcher C7 v2 has 3 external and 3 internal the WDR7500 has 6 external. The price nowdays seems almost identical, or very close. Is there a point in getting the WDR7500 for the 3 extra external antennas?

pbpeod wrote:
bards1888 wrote:

decided today to upgrade to the latest trunk dated 28/3/15. It didn't go so well. After the upgrade the C7 kept rebooting. I was able get into failsafe and undo my wireless config. Once  I did that it stopped rebooting, which points the finger at the Wireless config. I tried for a few hours to get it working by going back to a basic config, however, even with the stock openwrt wireless config, any attempt to use the OpenWRT SSIDs would result in a reboot of the router.

This is exactly what happened to me. I upgrade trunk builds 2-3 times a week and have been doing so for quite some time. This is the first time I ever had to use failsafe mode to restore to an older firmware.  The build at issue was r45064.

It is bug 19239, caused by r45061 and already fixed by r45069.
See
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/19329
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/19337
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/19343

https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/45069

Do not try using wifi with build 45061-45068.

(Last edited by hnyman on 30 Mar 2015, 17:53)

I successful change my router WDR7500 v3.0 (8M) in WRD7500V2(16M)
- replace the IC W25Q64FV with W25Q128FV
using this forum and another forum about this router i create the new file
Look everything is OK (can install OPENWRT) and wireless both band are running
if somebody need the complete bin file please let me know and i will upload to a server
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=94597438176917760709
thanks for help

(Last edited by ccost1974 on 31 Mar 2015, 10:37)

After playing around with openwrt, I wanted to flash back to stock firmware. When I uploaded the stock .bin to the tmp file and did the mtd -r firmware.bin firmware command, my archer c7 v2 just keeps rebooting. How can I recover from this

Midnite8 wrote:

After playing around with openwrt, I wanted to flash back to stock firmware. When I uploaded the stock .bin to the tmp file and did the mtd -r firmware.bin firmware command, my archer c7 v2 just keeps rebooting. How can I recover from this

Did you trim the stock firmware as instructed in the wiki? If not, that's probably the problem. You can try a TFTP recovery or serial recovery. See the wiki for instructions.

(Last edited by drawz on 1 Apr 2015, 03:22)

I am using Tftpd32 and set the ip to
and pointed the file to the bootloader removed file named ArcherC7v2_tp_recovery.bin
I click Put and I get a window that transfers and says 31745 blocks transferred in 3 seconds. The router still keeps rebooting

(Last edited by Midnite8 on 1 Apr 2015, 06:48)

Hi, I have an Archer C7 V2 with BB 1407r42625 talking to an Arris CM820A. I have two showstopper issues.1.) If I reboot the router, it does not acquire an external IPv4 address on reboot. 2.) I get no IPv6 whatsoever from Comcast. Surely I must be doing something wrong--at least on problem 1? tia

fingers wrote:

Hi, I have an Archer C7 V2 with BB 1407r42625 talking to an Arris CM820A. I have two showstopper issues.1.) If I reboot the router, it does not acquire an external IPv4 address on reboot. 2.) I get no IPv6 whatsoever from Comcast. Surely I must be doing something wrong--at least on problem 1? tia

Never heard of this problem. Is your WAN set to DHCP? ipv6 should be enabled by default with OpenWrt BB (shows as WAN6 for me)

Thanks. Helpful to know. I've made good progress by swapping in a SB6120 modem and returning to an
to an almost pristine network config. I'm not seeing IPv6 addresses and able to ping.
However, my downstream machines aren't binding. When I do "rdisc6 br0" on my Fedora, for instance,I get a nice long report that
includes "Stateful address conf yes" and "Stateful other conf yes"
Shouldn't those both be "no" ? I believe this is coming from the C7, but I can't figure
how to fix it. Any hints much appreciated.

Oops. I meant to say "I'm now getting IPv6 on the router." Router is good now. It's the PD downstream that still isn't happening.

Read through the last half-dozen pages, and I'm not 100% clear on the state of support for the C7 v2.  I've flashed a couple routers with WRT in the past, but they've been stable builds that have just worked.  From what I gather, the stable build for the C7 lacks full AC support, and the unstable builds lack a webUI.  El_goretto posted a build from a few months ago that has AC and webUI, but has some issues which have since been fixed.

As I am unable to compile a nightly build, is there a pre-built firmware from a recent revision that I can download that will "just work"?  Or is WRT for the C7 still in a state where someone like me shouldn't even be fiddling with it?  All I really want is working 2.4GHz, 5GHz, guest network, gigabit LAN, webUI, and bandwidth monitoring (monthly totals).  Should I just steer clear until it's more polished?

As someone for whom 2/3rds of this thread is above my head, I would appreciate any clarification I can get.  Thanks.

(Last edited by candre23 on 12 Apr 2015, 16:32)

You can install the BB 14.07 release which has working 2.4GHz and a web interface in the image. For 5GHz you need to install the ath10k driver (this can be done from the web interface too if you are afraid of the command line).

If you want to install a trunk image (latest development), you need to install the web interface via SSH.

Gigabit LAN should work in either case. Bandwidth monitoring needs installation of a package that can do that for you.

As for an image that has everything you need, maybe someone else can help you.