Hi all,

I added a custom "banner-extension" shell-script under /etc/hotplug.d/iface/20-banner and discovered a small "problem" or at least a small usefull extension for /etc/ppp/ip-up.

The mentioned banner-extension is just a quick-hack and only adds the date&time and the current dynamic assigned IP-address:

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 WHITE RUSSIAN (RC4) -------------------------------
  * 2 oz Vodka   Mix the Vodka and Kahlua together
  * 1 oz Kahlua  over ice, then float the cream or
  * 1/2oz cream  milk on the top.
 ---------------------------------------------------
     LAST IP-UP EXECUTION:
Fri Feb 10 21:41:53 CET 2006
         EXTERNAL IP:

In my opinion this two informations (last update-time and IP) are very helpfull in case you log in to your router (over internet) and want to start a more or less long configuration session without being disconnected right after 5 Minutes because the 24-hours-limit has been reached!

The problem concerning the banner-generation was: the /etc/hotplug.d/iface/banner-ext.sh does not know about the current local nor the current remote IP-address!
But pppd already provides these two informations to IP-UP. On the other hand OpenWRT's (WhiteRussian RC4) /etc/ppp/ip-up script does not use them.

So, my suggestion would be the folowing small extension to /etc/ppp/ip-up

instead of:
[ -z "$6" ] || env -i ACTION="ifup" INTERFACE="$6" PROTO="ppp" /sbin/hotplug "iface"

please use this:
[ -z "$6" ] || env -i ACTION="ifup" LOCALIP="$4" REMOTEIP="$5" INTERFACE="$6" PROTO="ppp" /sbin/hotplug "iface"

I would suggest to include at least these two variables into /etc/ppp/ip-up to make passing of dynamic alocated IP-addresses possible within hotplug.d-scripts...

If you are also interessted in my banner-manipulation please let me know!

Thanks a lot!

Cheers dp

(Last edited by dp on 10 Feb 2006, 22:20)