OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Does anyone has the experiences that porting xfce to openwrt ?

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I am wondering that if I can porting xfce to openwrt so that we can operate the router in visual UI.
And now my x86 pc (with 4 ethernet interfaces) is running openwrt with command line UI.

Any suggestions and instructions will be appreciated.Thanks!

You probably could but then there is absolutely nothing in XFCE (or any other Linux DE) that understands the openwrt configuration system, so it would be pointless more or less.

You should install the "luci" GUI for Openwrt.

hnyman wrote:

You should install the "luci" GUI for Openwrt.

no , the luci is web UI which is visited via browsers.
I mean the desktop UI.

I miss a point of this a bit...
If you have a server / desktop put normal OS on it and just configure properly, it is linux in the end...

jow wrote:

You probably could but then there is absolutely nothing in XFCE (or any other Linux DE) that understands the openwrt configuration system, so it would be pointless more or less.

I think it is signicant to me as I really want to porting the xfce to this platform.
we can see the file under the openwrt SDK root directory,named feeds.conf.default, and the xfce's feeds is here.

(Last edited by banglang.huang on 16 May 2013, 12:13)

jaceq wrote:

I miss a point of this a bit...
If you have a server / desktop put normal OS on it and just configure properly, it is linux in the end...

yes, maybe I should porting luci web solution to the normal released linux system.

btw. have a look at this: http://www.zentyal.org/ maybe this suits your needs better

jaceq wrote:

btw. have a look at this: http://www.zentyal.org/ maybe this suits your needs better

it seems like a good and new choice to me.thanks

Hi - can you please explain what it is you are trying to do? What is the purpose of xfce on a router? Are you trying to boot thin / diskless clients off of the router environment?

Regards.

Beeblebrox wrote:

Hi - can you please explain what it is you are trying to do? What is the purpose of xfce on a router? Are you trying to boot thin / diskless clients off of the router environment?

Regards.

First of all, my device is not a router, it is a x86 desktop PC with 4 ethernet interfaces.It has VGA port and supports mouse and keyboard with ps2 port.

I am trying to verify whether the openwrt support graphic user interface, and I learned xfce(one of the desktop UI, like gnome,xde,etc..) relevant package was supported.

Recently, I found that the feeds.conf.default file has commented the xfce package,so I uncommented it and runed ./script/feeds update -a / install -a,then I can see xfce desktop package when enter the 'make menuconfig'.

Thanks for answering and the detail.

I am trying to understand why you would want openwrt to support a "graphical environment" what would be the purpose? The only purpose I could think of was thinclients, that is why I mentioned it.

Beeblebrox wrote:

Thanks for answering and the detail.

I am trying to understand why you would want openwrt to support a "graphical environment" what would be the purpose? The only purpose I could think of was thinclients, that is why I mentioned it.

maybe just for personal hobbies.

I'm not judging, your preference of course. I just think that if you tell us what it is you are trying to do, you will get better ideas and better solutions.

Regards.

Beeblebrox wrote:

I'm not judging, your preference of course. I just think that if you tell us what it is you are trying to do, you will get better ideas and better solutions.

Regards.

m...,ok, As there is a VGA port on my x86 device, thus I just want to let the openwrt can show friendly user interface on the screen rather than text message like now.Is it possible ?..

The discussion might have continued from here.