OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: password

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I felt I little bit stupid because I lost the password of my router. :s Maybe is because of a bug in the web interface. Do you now is there is something to do ? I've already tried to flash and reset the router with no success, also I tried to restore the original firmware but its ask you for a password.
Got any ideas ?

Boot failsafe,
>mount_root
>passwd

- DL

Hello.

I've got the same problem.
wrt54gl v1.1 white russian rc5
And forgotten password...
I've already tried to flash and reset the router with no success, also I tried to restore the original firmware but its ask for a password.
I dont have linux...and i'm in the dark with it...

The booting in failsafe is OK.
the DNZ flashing ..

But i dont know what is it :mount_root  and passwd...and where to write this commands..

I know..i'm lbit stupid...but pleas help me.

ive got windows xp.

thanks!

rendezo

The booting in failsafe is OK.
the DNZ flashing ..

But i dont know what is it :mount_root  and passwd...and where to write this commands..

OK, you have to telnet to your router:

telnet 192.168.1.1

And then run the commands that DL told you:

/sbin/mount_root
passwd

I dont have linux...and i'm in the dark with it...
ive got windows xp.

You should probably get more familiar with Linux/Unix and the basic use of a Unix shell since you're running OpenWRT on your router.

BTW, you ARE running OpenWRT, right? Because if you don't, the instructions above will not help at all.

-- jp

(Last edited by jp on 25 Oct 2006, 13:10)

Thank you for the fast reply jp!

yes, i running OpenWrt.

Router Info

_______                     ________        __
|       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
|   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
|_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
WHITE RUSSIAN (RC5) -------------------------------
  * 2 oz Vodka   Mix the Vodka and Kahlua together
  * 1 oz Kahlua  over ice, then float the cream or
  * 1/2oz cream  milk on the top.
---------------------------------------------------

Firmware Version     WHITE RUSSIAN (RC5)
Kernel Version     Linux version 2.4.30 (nbd@ux-2y02) (gcc version 3.4.4 (OpenWrt-1.0)) #1 Sun Mar 26 19:02:04 CEST 2006
Current Date/Time     Sat Jan 1 00:01:10 UTC 2000
MAC Address     00:18:39:83:59:FA

I get this , when I open an explorer with adress 192.168.1.1

But...when I try to TELNET 192.168.1.1   ....LOGIN FAILED..:(((

What is the problem??

I try several things.

In fail safe:

telnet -> 192.168.1.1 -- Login failed.
ssh : same
webif : nothing.

In 'normal' mode:

telnet : login failed

ssh :
login as: root
root@192.168.1.1's password:
Access denied
root@192.168.1.1's password:

webif: password.

TFTP:

Windows 2000/XP TFTP Client short Instructions

* Open two command windows (Start-Run-Enter "cmd")
    * In one window, type "ping -t -w 10 192.168.1.1" and press enter. 192.168.1.1 is the router IP.
    * Ping will continuously try to contact the wrt with 10 ms timeout instead of default 4000 ms. Keep this running

In the other window, prepare the tftp command "tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT OpenWrt-gs-code.bin". Do not press enter yet!
    * Now you may plug in the router (unplug it first if it was plugged).
    * In the ping window it will start saying "Hardware Error"
    * Return to the tftp window. As soon as the ping window starts to answer again, press enter in the tftp window.
    * The image should now be flashed without multiple tries.
    * If ping starts with "Hardware Error", then starts to answer, and then returns to "Hardware Error" again for a short moment, you waited too long.

But ALLWAYS timespan...:(:(

I give up.

So who can help me to remove the openwrt , and put back the original firmware??

Please!

Thx!

Hi.
Are you sure you actually got into fail-safe mode?

I've already tried to flash and reset the router with no success, also I tried to restore the original firmware but its ask for a password.

How exactly did you do those? Pressing reset after powering on the unit? Did you wait for the DMZ led?

Or did you use recvudp?

And I see that when you couldn't get into failsafe you tried tp TFTP a new image. Did you disable the firewall in your Windows machine?
Please try the TFTP method again, but try to be really quick to press enter in the tftp window when pint starts to answer.

-- jp

Hi.

Thank you for the answer again.

Yes I'm sure about the fail-safe mode.
But i made a mistake at first time, when i try to got the fail-safe....i don't wait while the DMZ lights up....pressing the reset after powering on the unit.
But now i know..this is not good.
Yes I use recvudp too...with succes.

But all that things going wrong,that i wrote above...

Yes firewall turned off, and lan speed 10Mbit half rate..

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT original.bin  - i do it like this.

So I don't know what can I do now..:(

But i made a mistake at first time, when i try to got the fail-safe....i don't wait while the DMZ lights up....pressing the reset after powering on the unit.

So... You probably erased the NVRAM.
You mentioned it's a wrt54gl v1.1, and the default NVRAM setting for
boot_wait in it is off, according to the table of hardware:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Har … ys/WRT54GL

Let's try getting into fail-safe again:

But...when I try to TELNET 192.168.1.1   ....LOGIN FAILED.

You did not get into fail-safe then.

This time, with more details:

0. Make sure you have plugged the Windows box on one of the four ports of
   the switch.

1. "Set the client to a static IP in the failsafe subnet range. The router will come up
   as 192.168.1.1 so 192.168.1.10 for example is good."
   Your Windows machine is NOT configured to use DHCP, right? Set it to use the
   IP 192.168.1.10, for example.

2. Start the recvudp utility.

3. Plug in the router and wait for the go signal.

4. When you get "Msg from 192.168.1.1: Press reset now, to enter Failsafe!", then you
   *quickly* press reset and *hold it* for two seconds

5. ONLY after you see "Msg from 192.168.1.1: Entering Failsafe!" you will be
   in failsafe mode.

6. Now, from your windows box, telnet to the router (telnet 192.168.1.1)

Does that work?

-- jp

(Last edited by jp on 26 Oct 2006, 21:07)

Hi.

I feel myself stupid...:(

I do exactly what you sad to me..:(

firewall turned off.
WRT connected to the port four.
Set the ip 192.168.1.10..
recvudp started...and DMZ flashing...and I see "Msg from 192.168.1.1: Entering Failsafe!"...

BUT, when I try to Telnet ...

telnet 192.168.1.1   

Login Failed!  sad:(:(

serial : CL7B

(Last edited by rendezo on 28 Oct 2006, 12:47)

and I see "Msg from 192.168.1.1: Entering Failsafe!"...

So you did get into failsafe mode.

Login Failed!

Hmmm. This is strange. Entering failsafe means you booted with the defaul setup, as if you had just flashed OpenWRT.
It really should have worked.

Maybe someone else can help? When he resetted NVRAM, could he have changed something that prevented telnet to accept connections?

-- jp

From the documentation:

The act of switching between a normal boot and failsafe mode could change your MAC address! This will invalidate the ARP cache of the workstation you're using to access OpenWrt with. If you can't ping OpenWrt at 192.168.1.1 flush your ARP cache.

Now... How do you flush the ARP cache in windows?

-- jp

Also... After getting into failsafe, did you try to open a browser and point it to http://192.168.1.1 ?

-- jp

Hi

In failsafe mode , http://192.168.1.1 doesn't work.

With this command in cmd  "netsh interface ip delete arpcache"  flushed the ARP cache

telnet ..login failed:(:(:(:(:(

BACK TO LIFE!! big_smile

I don't know how,but now the TFTP is worked!!

Flashed with original sad firmware..

At this time I read carefully the documentation,and start to use OpenWrt.

JP ,I really don't know how to thank you for help!!

Thank You very much!

rendezo

Thank You very much!

You're welcome! :-)
I'm glad you got your router back to life. Try to read the documentation carefully, and next time you install OpenWRT, please do set boot_wait=on so things will be easier. Also, be careful with the reset button and things that may erase your NVRAM.

Good luck! :-)
-- jp

good to see that is working,
in response to post 13 above   to flush the arp cache(on windows 2k\xp\2k3) all you need to do is go to start then run then type ncpa.cpl and hit ok then right click on the local area connection and click on repair when windows attempts to repair the connection one of the things it will do is clear the arp cache

(Last edited by 22bsti on 1 Nov 2006, 16:22)

I have the same problem.  I bought a WRT54G v.4  about 5 months ago.. set it up with the BIN file... openwrt-wrt54g-squashfs
Playes around with the unit for a few days.  REALLY liked it... set it aside   now back at it...

I changed the password to something I now can not remember.

it works perfectly... but I can not get into it.

I tried EVERYTHING above in this post.
Still  Login failed.
used recvudp got hte right messages back at me, but when I go to connect....  login failed.

I've come to read many of these types of posts but it seems that they all used the JFFS version as compared to the SQUASHFS version I used.

Would this cause a problem?

I did an NMAP ( from another machine) and on the LAN side the ONLY port that is open is port 23 (telnet)  yet I can NOT attach to it! 

No matter what I try, I get Login failed,  connection reset.

I put a LINUX box on the router also, thinking that MAYBE it was the win-xp box here ... nope.
While the port is there, it just keeps closing down when you try to attach to it.

Tried to TFTP to it while it was "supposed to be" in the safe boot mode, nope can not connect.

Since this is Verson 4 of the wrt54g, is there any other little quirks I should know?

I see that one some of the other versions, you can take jewelers screw driver and reset things, yet each version has a different pin-out.  I think that this is rather drastic.. but what the heck?  Does anyone know the pin out for the v4 ?

Again, it runs fine when booted normally, I just can NOT get into the settings.

Any other ideas?  Is it the squash vs the JFFS ?

tia

Nitch.

P.S.
Normally, test units I use a specific password, but I had to change it for some reason.  I think if memory serves me right, it did NOT like the password and kept throwing it back when I tried to set it.  So I had to change it to somethign else... that I did not write down sad

(Last edited by nitchimon on 3 Nov 2006, 00:30)

Hello Everybody,
i've had the same problem, but after reading this topic for 3 times i can debrick my wrt54gl from white russian.
I used tftp and i understand you SHOULD fire immediately when the first ping arrives. ;-)
Thanks,
Peter

The discussion might have continued from here.