OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: iwlist not found

The content of this topic has been archived on 19 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi, I've just flashed my tp-link wr703n to Attitude Adjustment 12.09, now reading on here http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/routedclient
to get it to client mode but I failed on first step sad
I input first set of instructions there and then after "iwlist scan", I get "iwlist not found", I have no idea why, google seems not helping too.

Please guide.

After flashing the image, what did you do before running the uci commands in the link you mentioned?
Did you telnet in and set the password with 'passwd'?
Did you then log out and ssh back in:

ssh root@192.168.1.1

using the password you set?

Finally, I am not 100% certain, but luci should be available in that build, so you should be able to connect to 192.168.1.1 from your browser and set up the client via that.

robthebrew wrote:

After flashing the image, what did you do before running the uci commands in the link you mentioned?

Yes, I changed pass and ssh to the device successfully. You are right, Luci is available and I can perhaps make the router a wifi client by that but I also would like to understand the reason, why iwlist is not found.

Could you help please?

Very odd.
Do other commands work, like 'opkg update' or 'iwconfig'

I'm running into a similar problem. Reading around, it looks like iwconfig and iwlist have been deprecated in favor of iw.

Your solution will probably be to run 'iw dev wlan0(or your interface name) scan"

If anyone can help me, I'm trying to figure out how to find a command that will output the current txpower of an interface. I can do it with iwlist with "iwlist <interface> txpower", but I can't seem to find a similar command with iw.

I have a TP-Link TL-WDR4300 with OpenWrt Barrier Breaker 14.07-rc3 and I also couldn't find the iwlist command. I had to install the wireless-tools package (opkg update && opkg install wireless-tools)

The discussion might have continued from here.