OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: LaFonera Serial Console port

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have an old LaFonera FON2100 laying around. So, I thought I would use its serial console port to connect to the serial console port of my bricked Netgear WGT634U. When I launched minicom, pressed ctrl-C, and switched on power on my WGT634U unit, it kept rolling without giving me the CFE prompt. In this case, I couldn't even intercept the booting process when prompted to press [f] and [ENTER] to go to fail safe mode. Also, after finished booting and prompted me with a shell, I couldn't use it as if it was frozen. I certainly would appreciate if anyone knows how to resolve this issue so that I can debrick my WGT634U. Thanks.

Here is how I resolved this issue:

1. Edit /etc/inittab (on FON2100 unit) and comment the ttyS0::askfirst:/bin/ash --login line.

2. Disable the Hardware Flow Control option (I use minicom).

3. Power cycle the unit.

(Last edited by mazilo on 17 Jul 2013, 03:48)

Hi, i have the same problem but my router is TP-Link wr703N. How can i get the port serial without terminal messagge?
i dont find the Hardware Flow Control and my inittab is different than your.

I edited my post above to make it clearer on item #1.

Hardware Flow Control is an option setting found on minicom software. The /etc/inittab on my FON2100 is based on OpenWRT firmware.

Ok, i have Openwrt too. i will make a new post because i dont find anything of this cause. When i heard serial out of Wr703N, openwrt type inside. i need build a new Firmware but i dont know that i need erase or change in it. do you know anything of this cause? thanks

The discussion might have continued from here.