OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-LINK WDR4300 Israel firmware patched.

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

well my friend how are u ?
i have the tp-link wdr 4300 israeli version and i didn't managed to do what you did
i need halp contact me on zoharfreak@gmail.com

Hi
I am also from Israel. Tried to upgrade to your bin file and now the connection between the router and the lan is dead ( wifi and ethernet not functioning ) so i cant go to the admin page.
can you please be in touch with me.
Thanks
amit
ipadgv1@me.com

(Last edited by amitgv1 on 19 Apr 2013, 12:52)

Well, due to a lot of common questions, I must say that this firmware does NOT contain any web interface by default.
In order to install it you'll have to telnet to the router on 192.168.1.1, make sure you got internet connection (For ADSL / PPtP you can set the dialup manually) or if you got MPLS connection with the cable company, it will just pull DHCP.

In order to install luci web interface, after you got an internet connection, you should just run from the telnet session

# opkg update
# opkg install luci
# /etc/init.d/uhttpd enable
# /etc/init.d/uhttpd start

Another note is, that USB is currently not available due to lack of the usb modules for this kernel.
Hope it clarifies some things.
Again, feel free to ask if you got any questions.

Hi

Thank you for your help.

But,can i upgrade from this firmware to another?

I'am trying and i get massage  "The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format"

Thank You

after succesfull install how can i use L2TP protocol ?

As we found out[1] today, you can switch from this firmware to any other openwrt (AA or trunk) via direct mtd write.

Warning!
This commands are potentially harmful and you might brick your device if you'll try to write broken firmware image!
Checking md5 checksums might be useful before flashing.

I.e. flashing newer trunk:

# wget -O /tmp/firmware.bin http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
# mtd -r write /tmp/firmware.bin firmware

After successful flash via mtd you will be able to use common sysupgrade to upgrade firmware, as your device will be unlocked. However if you actually live in Israel remember your regional restriction on 5GHz channels and txpower that you'll need to set up yourself to conform your local laws.

[1] http://forum.ixbt.com/topic.cgi?id=14:56970-167#4660 (discussion in russian)

I also have a TP-LINK WDR4300 with an israeli firmware
is there a way to go to the official international firmware? ither directly or indirectly by intalling openwrt on it and then going back to an official firmware
since i'm a noob to the router custom firmware flashing
could any one please explain to me how to install the openwrt firmware or point me to a decent guide
or at least relate to my problem

mtd won't check, if the file you flash to your routers partition is valid for it or not. so you can go over openwrt to a different firmware. TP-Link sometimes provides firmware images including the bootloader, in that case you need to cut off the bootloader.
There is information about getting back to stock firmware in the wiki of several TP-Link devices - they are all somehow similar. Also keep in mind to not violate your countries regulations.

I am glad to see this post, great to know about such a nice details that I really need..

leo76

Hi all,
I Uploaded a new firmware based on linux kernel 3.10.
Download the zip file and use the appropriate image.
sysupgrade - for upgrading from the previous build
factory - for a new installation.

http://www54.zippyshare.com/v/52243650/file.html

In order to install LUCI web interface you may have to install the 'libustream-openssl' package in addition to the instructions mentioned above.

md5 sums:

13876e08be92cd101ddeb17f0b602fd8  openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-il-squashfs-factory.bin
3296cbec6cad238323d31e4666e98913  openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-il-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Enjoy smile

Tal.
tfishler@gmail.com

(Last edited by tfishler on 25 Aug 2013, 18:07)

Thanks to tfishler and eximido,
the chain:
tp-link Israeli stock FW GUI  ->
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-il-squashfs-factory.bin CLI ->
openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin LUCI ->
tp-link International stock FW
(don’t forget to cut  the first 0x20200 Bytes from stock firmware if you have Boot version),
worked well for me
(all Wi-Fi settings are set to Israel).

New release !
This one is based on OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r40887 / LuCI Trunk (svn-r10253)
Kernel 3.10.36
Luci is already compiled in!
In addition, multiwan, polipo, wondershaper and a few more goodies are inside..

Files uploaded here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= … sp=sharing

md5sums:
94733100f8c0680e0edd634a3c011d97  openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-il-squashfs-factory.bin
16829b34bdce71b9135c55b79535e608  openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-il-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Let me know if you got any questions.
Thanks

Tal Fishler.
tfishler@gmail.com

Hello,

I just got the tl-wdr4300 v1.7 and would like to get back to the global firmware rather than the Israeli one.
So just to make sure, should i run first :
1. openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-il-squashfs-factory.bin
and then:
2. openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-il-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin?

Anything else I need to do or worry about?

Many thanks
Avi

tfishler wrote:

New release !
This one is based on OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r40887 / LuCI Trunk (svn-r10253)
Kernel 3.10.36
Luci is already compiled in!
In addition, multiwan, polipo, wondershaper and a few more goodies are inside..

Files uploaded here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= … sp=sharing

md5sums:
94733100f8c0680e0edd634a3c011d97  openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-il-squashfs-factory.bin
16829b34bdce71b9135c55b79535e608  openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-il-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Let me know if you got any questions.
Thanks

Tal Fishler.
tfishler@gmail.com

Avi,
There's no difference between the Israeli and the "Global" firmware.
There's just some static software signature which I put in and recompiled the original.
But basically, just run the factory image, and then you can run the FACTORY global image over it.
NO NEED FOR THE SYSUPGRADE ONE.
The sysupgrade is for routers that have already IL version and want to upgrade to a newer version without losing the settings and configuration.

Let me know if you need any more assistance.

Tal.

Hi Tal,

My Current Firmware Version is : 3.15.33 Build 131016 Rel.53333n, which is a higher version number than the firmware on the global TP-LINK site.  Plus I have this red worming message saying I can not update the firmware from the TP-LINK Global site. 

Can i still do the update to the OpenWrt version without getting in to the Putty and telnet part? and will it be possible to go back to the global TP-Link firmware version (not the Israeli one)?

Thanks a Lot
Avi

(Last edited by avma on 10 Nov 2014, 20:17)

Avi,
You're talking about the firmware version of the original TP-Link? If yes, you can do the openwrt upgrade safely.
After you upgrade to openwrt, you can revert back to the original TP-Link official firmware from their global site - there should not be any issues with that.

Tanks Tal,

Well, If we can call the Firmware provided with the device sold in Israel (and tweaked by the local vendor) original then yes ;-)

any way i'm gonna give it a go this evening and see what happens

tfishler wrote:

Avi,
You're talking about the firmware version of the original TP-Link? If yes, you can do the openwrt upgrade safely.
After you upgrade to openwrt, you can revert back to the original TP-Link official firmware from their global site - there should not be any issues with that.

tfishler wrote:

Avi,
There's no difference between the Israeli and the "Global" firmware.
There's just some static software signature which I put in and recompiled the original.
But basically, just run the factory image, and then you can run the FACTORY global image over it.
NO NEED FOR THE SYSUPGRADE ONE.
The sysupgrade is for routers that have already IL version and want to upgrade to a newer version without losing the settings and configuration.

Let me know if you need any more assistance.

Tal.

hello and thanks for helping me  get rid of the firmware issue i was having ... but now i have a router i cant use  at all hmm
to clarify, i flashed the router with your factory image and now it wont accept any other .bin file to flash over it, i have tried all 3 downloads from the TP-Link website,
i have also tried the latest OpenWrt firmware for this router, and i have tried  the DD-WRT factory flash and all i get is a warning saying that it does not contain a valid image type for my router
my biggest problem of all is the lack of internet ... i had to go back to my spare router [the one i was trying to replace]
im not good with linux,  i know basically no commands for it so i don't really want to keep openwrt, but anything that would let me actually use my router now would be great  hmm

tfishler wrote:

Hi All,
After all discussions I compiled openwrt with the patch from http://www.mail-archive.com/openwrt-dev … 17574.html

So If anyone intersted. I'm attaching it here.
It is confirmed to work!

Have fun smile

openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr4300-v1-il-squashfs-factory.bin

how did you come up with the hwrev string 8001 ? from official fw?

as far as i know there 3 differents ways of firmware localization:

1. string 00000001 at offset 44-47 that should allow any firmware upgrade

2. country code in hex format at offset 44-47: 55530000 (used in TL-WR810N US ver.)

3. several different hwrev strings across various firmware files at offset 42-43: 0001 (EU?), 0101 (CN?), 1101 (US?) and 8001 (IL)

I personally thought this thread was dead, until i got the email with anarchy99's reply, i havnt had any feedback from tfishler since a couple months after my last reply as i contacted him via email, i still have a quite useless router and its got to a point where it would be very useful to have it work again.

i am seriously considering trying to flash it via a USP- serial adapter if i can find a soldering iron to put in some pins as all i get at the moment is that the image type isn't supported. 

at this point i dont even have a copy of the original il tp-link firmware to try and flash back onto it to see if that would work again

The discussion might have continued from here.