OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Why is the SDK configuration out of sync?

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I would like to use an SDK from Attitude Adjustment 12.09-rc (OpenWrt-SDK-brcm47xx-for-linux-i486-gcc-4.6-linaro_uClibc-0.9.33.2) to build a single package. So I extract the SDK and link the package's directory into the SDK's 'package' directory.

While the results seem ok, every make will tell me that the onfiguration is out of sync, and that I should run make menuconfig, oldconfig or defconfig, e.g.:

malte@spiro:~/openwrt/attitude_adjustment/12.09-rc1/sdk-brcm47xx$ make package/bro/download V=s
Collecting package info: done
WARNING: your configuration is out of sync. Please run make menuconfig, oldconfig or defconfig!

Why? Isn't the configuration stored in .config? But that's part of the SDK already.

I've tried oldconfig and defconfig. Both result in a very small .config file. With that, the build does not work anymore:

malte@spiro:~/openwrt/attitude_adjustment/12.09-rc1/sdk-brcm47xx$ make package/bro/download V=s
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/malte/openwrt/attitude_adjustment/12.09-rc1/OpenWrt-SDK-brcm47xx-for-linux-i486-gcc-4.6-linaro_uClibc-0.9.33.2/scripts/config'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `mconf.o', needed by `mconf'.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/malte/openwrt/attitude_adjustment/12.09-rc1/OpenWrt-SDK-brcm47xx-for-linux-i486-gcc-4.6-linaro_uClibc-0.9.33.2/scripts/config'
make[2]: *** [scripts/config/mconf] Error 2
make[1]: *** [.config] Error 2
make: *** [package/bro/download] Fehler 2

Where can I read up on how to handle the configuration with menuconfig, defconfig, and oldconfig?

The best way to solve the problem you have encountered is to get the Attitude Adjustment 12.09-rc buildroot source and select the package you want to build. This way, the build process will build everything needed to compile the package. Sure it takes time; however, it will solve a whole lot of other issues.

That error message is misleading and wrong in the SDK case. Since everything is precompiled you cannot run oldconfig.
You need to restore the .config from the archive and ignore the warning from then on.

Thanks to both of you. I have added a note about this to the SDK wiki page. And I'll try the buildroot to find out whether it will resolve a compilation issue I have.

How do I use defconfig and oldconfig with the OpenWrt buildroot?

mazilo wrote:

The best way to solve the problem you have encountered is to get the Attitude Adjustment 12.09-rc buildroot source and select the package you want to build. This way, the build process will build everything needed to compile the package. Sure it takes time; however, it will solve a whole lot of other issues.

But doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of having an SDK ?

The discussion might have continued from here.