OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: No Multicast Receive

The content of this topic has been archived on 1 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Gang,

that closed wl.o beast does not like multicast. While sending is ok (IBSS) no packets are received whatsoever. Grmbl. I see those packets - on my old centrino. How is the status of that opensource drvr?

LG Sven-Ola

The Open Source driver still needs some time to really become usable. As to the multicast thing: try ifconfig <interface> allmulti

Great!!! Thanks for the fast and helpful answer...

Did it work as it should? If it did, I will add it to the init scripts...

Yes ist works. At least for eth1(wlan) on the WRT. Observed a funny side effect (on my notebook only, 2.6.x kernel): That thing does not reply to ARP any more and I have to run tcpdump (==promisc) for a network connection on eth0(notebook). May be a local fault. Another observation: Running mrouted or pimd (ipks on freifunk download) switched to allmulticast at least for br0 and eth1 (br0 has vlan0 only). May have side effects for devices in the bridge on wrt's - still need some testing...

P.S: In difference to OpenWrt the Freifunk kernel has MROUTE and PIMv2 enabled in the kernel. I doubt that this has a broader audience, but I spent that additional ~10k to ~16k in the kernel to make our playground more interesting smile

The discussion might have continued from here.