OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Has anyone tried a Linksys RT31P2 with OpenWrt?

The content of this topic has been archived on 31 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Subject says it all really... I'm looking at getting a RT31P2 (apart from a PAP2 these are the only Linksys VoIP boxes available in New Zealand) and would like to run OpenWrt on it, does anyone know which chipset it's based on?

Will I have to go out and buy one and open it up to find this out?

(Last edited by Jamey on 30 Jan 2006, 11:08)

I believe an RT31P2 uses different type of CPU. You will be better off buying a Linksys WRT54GS v3 + a Linksys PAP2.

Thanks, I figure it uses at least a slightly different CPU. Possibly a BCM1101, which still uses the MIPS32 core.
I have a WRT54GSv1 with OpenWrt already, I'm looking for a VoIP capable box with OpenWrt inside...

(Last edited by Jamey on 30 Jan 2006, 11:08)

If you open your RT31P2, you should be able to confirm its CPU, Flash, and RAM sizes. From there, you can decide to download/taylor/compile the whole distribution of OpenWRT to fit for your RT31P2. Then, the risk to flash this newly compiled firmware to see if it will work on or brick your router.

The discussion might have continued from here.