OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Compiling OpenWrt with ARPNAT Support

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I'm trying to use openwrt with ARPNAT and I'm using this link as a reference:
http://projectgus.com/2010/03/wireless- … h-openwrt/

I've downloaded the gargoyle arpnat patch from here:
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/gargoyle … pnat.patch

I applied it to the attitude adjustment branch and it completed successfully. Then I compiled openwrt with ebtables but it doesn't seem to be working with client_bridge=1.

Does anyone know why this is?

(Last edited by omggo on 1 Mar 2013, 12:35)

bump

bump

bump

no idea.  but perhaps some people would opine if you described a bit more what is and isn't working?

for example, is there an ebtables binary  available on your router now ?

vhrm wrote:

no idea.  but perhaps some people would opine if you described a bit more what is and isn't working?

for example, is there an ebtables binary  available on your router now ?

sure

im not 100% sure what to be looking for but ebtables is installed and i bridge the wireless and ethernet adaper and set client_bridge to 1. after restarting the router the wireless stays down and wont bridge like when the patch is not installed.

ok.  Then follow some more debugging steps.   

For example:

1) without any of this fancy arpnat (i.e. w/o client_bridge setting) can you get your device (what device is it, btw?) with the build you have installed connect to your wifi network ?

2) Once you get that working  add back in the client_bridge  setting, restart  and follow some of the debugging conversation in the comments on that  project gus page.  (e.g. use  "ebtables -t nat -L"  to see if anything is listed there)

(i'm not even clear how that gargoyle patch CAN apply cleanly (e.g. what's w/ the references to "linux-2.6.30..." ?)  but i'm not up on patch/diff syntax or this build system so that could all be fine)

If arpnat rules are listed... see if they work.
If arpnat rules aren't listed then you'll have to start debugging the startup scripts to see why they didn't insert the rules they should have.

edit: and a (trunk) build i did a little while back doesn't have iwconfig (which is used in that script it seems)  just iw.   so you'll either have to install it or change the scripts to use iw to get its info.

(Last edited by vhrm on 9 Mar 2013, 23:17)

vhrm wrote:

ok.  Then follow some more debugging steps.   

For example:

1) without any of this fancy arpnat (i.e. w/o client_bridge setting) can you get your device (what device is it, btw?) with the build you have installed connect to your wifi network ?

2) Once you get that working  add back in the client_bridge  setting, restart  and follow some of the debugging conversation in the comments on that  project gus page.  (e.g. use  "ebtables -t nat -L"  to see if anything is listed there)

(i'm not even clear how that gargoyle patch CAN apply cleanly (e.g. what's w/ the references to "linux-2.6.30..." ?)  but i'm not up on patch/diff syntax or this build system so that could all be fine)

If arpnat rules are listed... see if they work.
If arpnat rules aren't listed then you'll have to start debugging the startup scripts to see why they didn't insert the rules they should have.

edit: and a (trunk) build i did a little while back doesn't have iwconfig (which is used in that script it seems)  just iw.   so you'll either have to install it or change the scripts to use iw to get its info.

thanks for your help. i really appreciate it.

I'm currently re-compiling openwrt with "wireless-tools" which has iwconfig and with ebtables after applying all the patches in gargoyle's "patches-generic" folder.

this time i downloaded the source straight from gargoyle's website.

im compiling the attitude adjustment branch, not the trunk. my router is a dlink dir-615 and it connects fine to my wireless network and can get on the internet.

I got it working! it must've been the wireless tools that it needed.

(Last edited by omggo on 10 Mar 2013, 11:43)

cool!

enjoy your CPU bound transfer speeds :-)

vhrm wrote:

cool!

enjoy your CPU bound transfer speeds :-)

thanks, at about a 15% speed loss, I can't complain tongue

(Last edited by omggo on 11 Mar 2013, 13:14)

The discussion might have continued from here.