OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TL-WR703N WiFi Router question

The content of this topic has been archived on 9 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I got a LinkSprite Robot kit that came with a TL-WR703N that was modified to use the TP_IN and TP_OUT to connect through the micro USB to an ATMega168.   I discovered that I could receive but not transmit over the Wifi connection.   It uses ser2net so I set up a control port to monitor the term side and nothing the ATMega168 sends out shows up.  So I opened the TL-WR703N and found that the TP_IN is wired directly to the micro USB connector which then connects through the USB cable to the Tx pin on the ATMega168.  The ATMega168 uses 5V TTL and the Atheros AR9331 uses 3.3V TTL.  Could this connection have damaged the Atheros AR9331?   I was just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem?

Update-  I created a cable to connect the TL-WR703N micro USB connector to the CP2102 TTL to USB cable that came with the kit and the TL-WR703N OpenWRT console works fine on my computer COM port.  So the TP_IN pin on the AR9331 is ok.  The Arduino Tx pin can also send data through the same TTL to USB cable to my computer.  The problem is that I cannot get serial data from the Arduino Tx pin to the AR9331 TP_IN pin.  I suspect that there is either a problem with ser2net or some incompatibility between how the Arduino sends and the AR9331 receives serial data.  Any information about this issue would be much appreciated.

I figured out the problem.  I had to remove the line "ttyATH0::askfirst:/bin/ash --login" from the /etc/inittab file to prevent OpenWRT from using the ttyATH0 serial port as the console.

The discussion might have continued from here.