OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Gaming QoS, hand tuned rules based on OpenWRT vs. D-Link Gaming Router

The content of this topic has been archived on 12 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I just got the WRT54GS router, a version 2 indicated by the serial number.  With the intention of using it as a base to establish some QoS for my online gaming over a cable modem. There are two workstations using this cable modem to play the same games, very often at the same time.  I have experienced enough negative issues involving the responsiveness of the games to feel that QoS is what I need to get past most of them.

I just found this site http://gamer.ubicom.com/index.html which goes into the technology behind the D-Link gaming router.  Here is a link to the appropriate document: http://gamer.ubicom.com/guides/qos_tech … guide.html

It sounds very solid, and it sounds like it would be able to actually do what I would try and do manually with this router and the QoS and traffic shaping that the OpenWRT firmware will give me access to.

Has anyone had the oppurtunity to  compare these two to see if there is any benefit to having full access and control to the QoS rules that OpenWRT would allow?  Or does this D-Link gaming router with the StreamEngine algorithm do it all without the need to hand write/tune and tweak the rules that the OpenWRT method would require?

It sounds like the most important concern in regards to gaming performance over a cable modem is just making sure that the outgoing packets do not ever get stuck in the cache on the cable modem.  From what I understand this is mostly achieved by limiting the rate of outgoing packets from the router to the effective uplink speed of the cable modem.

The catch is that apparently this is an ever changing value and if uplink transfer rate to any given server your game happens to be using ever goes below your preset upper limit in the router you will still get packet caching on the modem.  Are there QoS techinques available through what can be achieved with OpenWRT that will detect this and be able to adapt the routers uplink limiter?  Or in practice does this rarely, if ever, happen and they are just trying to sell gaming routers smile

Oh the irony...

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating … device.asp

Ok, I found 5 minutes to do some research. It's actually Ubicom's StreamEngine Net Accelerator, which I recall reading was responsible for delivering QoS for Quake 3 online play. In fact, according to Ubicom, with QoS enabled, "Quake 3 doubled the playability during heavy background traffic." Ubicom developed algorithms and techniques to assess in real-time the available bandwidth, then applied advanced packet-by-packet analysis and inspection techniques. It combined these technniques into the StreamEngine software package for intelligent stream handling and advanced peer-to-peer networking, and bundled it with a hardware platform based on its IP3023 processor with memory, voice pump, ipOS multithreaded operating system and support for Atheros Communications' 802.11 radios. The Linksys WRT54GS is one router with this QoS technology built-in.

(Last edited by jeejoo on 26 Jan 2006, 20:59)

jeejoo wrote:

Oh the irony...

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating … device.asp

Ok, I found 5 minutes to do some research. It's actually Ubicom's StreamEngine Net Accelerator, which I recall reading was responsible for delivering QoS for Quake 3 online play. In fact, according to Ubicom, with QoS enabled, "Quake 3 doubled the playability during heavy background traffic." Ubicom developed algorithms and techniques to assess in real-time the available bandwidth, then applied advanced packet-by-packet analysis and inspection techniques. It combined these technniques into the StreamEngine software package for intelligent stream handling and advanced peer-to-peer networking, and bundled it with a hardware platform based on its IP3023 processor with memory, voice pump, ipOS multithreaded operating system and support for Atheros Communications' 802.11 radios. The Linksys WRT54GS is one router with this QoS technology built-in.

How you find in five minute i like to knowing about that
have you time for us

The discussion might have continued from here.