OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TL-WR703N - Power over serial cable(cp2102)

The content of this topic has been archived on 12 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I often need my serial console to fix stuff on my TP Link WR703N. I like my router to be in a closed case. There are howto's on that already, see 2.5 cinch mod. However I have a CP2102 based serial cable. The PCB with the chip is nice and small. I think smaller then the PL2303 PCB. This comes in handy as it gives enough space for an internal USB Hub. So I opened up the CP2102 case and made pictures of it.
PunBB bbcode test

PunBB bbcode test

The idea is as follows. I want to put the cp2102 inside the router enclosure and cut a hole for the usb port. This would allow me to have access to the serial console with a closed case and just a ordinary usb cable. As the serial chip has a 5V pin this could be connected to the micro USB socket. So I could deliver power to the device and have a serial console just with one cable. mveplus at https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=35682 had a similar idea but with the microUSB cable.

The question is now, would I have the same issues as described in the thread above or would it work ?

Another problem to solve :

The USB connector on the PCB is a male one. This needs to be replaced with a female connector.

(Last edited by ianmcmill on 9 Feb 2013, 14:26)

As I also mentioned in the thread before, the enumeration of the usb-serial adapter will take a few seconds, so you will miss the first seconds of serial console output (and if you need to enter the bootloader, this may become very tricky). So, it may be a good idea to add a power switch.

Ah okay I understand now. Did take a bit longer. Adding a power switch would be to much of grinding into the case. So I think I'll just stick with the idea of including the adapter with a male USB type a socket and let the micro USB as is.

Or would it be possible to add some circuit that delays the power from getting to the microUSB? I don't know much about electronics. Maybe a relay ? Oh wait. I have some 555 laying around smile

The discussion might have continued from here.