OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: BCM 6338 Serial Pinout

The content of this topic has been archived on 26 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,
I`ve an Aztech DSL1000er
Model: DSL1000ERT
Board ID: 96338W
Firmware Version: 140.6.3-009a
Software Version: 3.10L.02.A2pB023n8.d21k
Bootloader (CFE) Version: 1.0.37-10.1

I amtrying to debrick it through Serial.. I`ve opened up the modem and i can see the 4 ports responsible for Serial Comm but i`m unable to map out which one is GND,VCC,TX,RX

I`ve attached the images of the board

Bottom

(Last edited by gpkumaran on 12 Jan 2013, 12:21)

You should be able to determine GND by measuring for a 0 Ohms resistance to one of the plenty available GND sources (like SW4 at the white triangle). Most likely Rx and Tx pins are right next to GND. If you find a spot on the pcb that says something like 3V3, you can measure the resistance of your serial pins against that point (same here, test for 0 Ohms).
You can then go with trial and error for Tx and Rx, there are just 2 possible options.

hoping that you bricked it without damaging bootloader..

Another way to find the supply and ground is to identify the ram chip part number and look up the data sheet.
Use an ohm meter to check continuity from rs232 header to these supply and
ground pins.
Then you have only two pins to work with. With your level shifter try the remaining pins one way, if they dont work reverse as noted above and try again.
~john

thank you very much for all the replies..

nebbia88 wrote:

hoping that you bricked it without damaging bootloader..

Here`s how i bricked the router..
It was locked to a carrier and there was no upgrade option available in the WebUI..
I`m a n00b with all the upgrading.. but i read some about other ways to upgrade when i came to know about tftp..
i downloaded a new version from the maufacturer W/S  " 140.6.4-012_fs_kernel " and sent it through tftp..

All went ok.. But i think i switched off the router too early(within 2 minutes after tftp sent the whole fw)..

And now i just couldnt get the webui.. able to ping 192.168.1.1  replies with ttl=100..
from what i`ve read replies with ttl=100 means cfe not dead yet, right?

PS: there was also another FW " 140.6.4-013a_cfe_fs_kernel ".

The discussion might have continued from here.