OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWRT adapted to fully support RB493G (including SD)

The content of this topic has been archived on 14 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello All,

I would like to share with the whole OpenWRT community that I got a fully working openWRT for my RB493G router board including the microSD slot which as far as I could see was not working properly on the original openwrt trunk.

I have been using that modified OpenWRT on my router for a couple of months since now and it looks stable enough.

My work is based on the Linux kernel 2.6.35 patch provided by Mikrotik guys which is in turn the core of RouterOS versions up to 5.x (I believe). So far I only tested it on a RB493G since this is the router I own. However I believe this will be easily expandable to other boards since that Linux patch is supporing also other RB400 series boards.

I uploaded the code into following repository at GitHub in case any of you are interested on knowing what was done or are looking for full working OpenWRT on RB493G (of course at your own risk!). Current master branch is based on OpenWRT trunk revision 34879.

https://github.com/PrieJos/openwrt-ar71xx-mikrotik.git

Regards,
PrieJos

(Last edited by priejos on 6 Jan 2013, 13:24)

OpenWrt AA 12.09 BETA/RC1 and trunk are just missing a one-line patch to register the SD-card-reader. Messing around with old kernel versions is not necessary. I hope the patch will make it into AA 12.09. See ticket #12349 for further information.

Hi

renne wrote:

OpenWrt AA 12.09 BETA/RC1 and trunk are just missing a one-line patch to register the SD-card-reader

Yes I noted that already when trying to get the microSD working on openWRT. Anyway, that's great you already reported that to developers. wink

renne wrote:

Messing around with old kernel versions is not necessary

Just for your information, the kernel I'm using in my trunk is just the latest one for Atheros 71xx, i.e. 3.6.11. I only took SPI, NAND and LEDS drivers out of Mikrotik Linux kernel 2.6.35. For the rest, the code base is the one delivered in OpenWRT trunk.

Regards,
PrieJos

How OpenWRT adapted to fully support on RB493G?

alcohol breath tester

(Last edited by Starc12344 on 10 Apr 2013, 15:41)

Starc12344 wrote:

How OpenWRT adapted to fully support on RB493G?

Jogo added patches for Toshiba NAND and registering the SD-card-reader to trunk and AA branch. So the trunk/AA repositiories  support all the hardware of the RB493G and the next release candidate of 12.09AA will support it, too. smile

renne wrote:
Starc12344 wrote:

How adapted on RB493G?

Jogo added patches for Toshiba NAND and registering the SD-card-reader to trunk and AA branch. So the trunk/AA repositiories  support all the hardware of the RB493G and the next release candidate of 12.09AA will support it, too. smile

Hi,

That's really good to know.  However just for Starc12344 information the work I did is fully based on Mikrotik's patch for Linux kernel 2.6.35 (which is the kernel RouterOS 5.x is based on). I took the SPI and NAND drivers from that patch and included them into openWrt trunk.

BTW - Renne can you tell me which patch within trunk is that guy Jogo using for supporting RB493g hardware? Thanks...

Regards,
PrieJos

Hi Peoples!

Maybe anyone had the same problem as I. I'd like to know how I can get measurement from temperature sensor and voltage monitor on OpenWRT in RB493G . Also I'd like to know how I can manage the connectors for coolers from OpenWRT, if is it possible after all.

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. In mikrotik's kernel patch i look:

+#define SPI_CMD_MON_VOLTAGE 0x11 /* send cmd */
+#define SPI_CMD_MON_TEMP 0x12 /* send cmd */
+#define SPI_CMD_READ_VOLTS 0x1a /* send cmd, 3 x read data (LSB 1st) */

but i don't know how use it ...

The discussion might have continued from here.