OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Has anyone built a BT mobile-to-landline gateway?

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello everybody...

I tried searching around but couldn't find this mentioned before and I dont see why it hasn't been tried yet... maybe I'm missing something.

<if you haven't heard of bluetooth to landline gateways read below otherwise skip to the end ;-)>

I'm trying to receive (and ideally also make) mobile calls on my landline by pairing my bluetooth phone to an OpenWRT setup (that appears as a carkit to the phone) that connects to the landline too and redirects all incoming mobile calls to my landline.

The reasoning behind this are mobile reception black spots in my house and if I could pair my phone with OpenWRT in a spot where reception is good I can then "use" it with a cordless phone everywhere around the house.

(my openwrt experience is average - I have built an internet radio attaching a USB sound adapter to a Asus WL-520GU and running mpd)

Any suggestions/hints/directions of research?

(Last edited by gulliverrr on 7 Nov 2012, 00:01)

ok... lets try breaking it into pieces... is there a module that actually interacts with the landline in ADSL modems? Lets start from here and we'll see later how we can link the BT functionality.

From the 40 views so far there may be some interest to build something new!

There are some VoIP ADSL Router, which come with an input for the landline. Such device would transparently let incoming landline calls, as well as SIP calls get through to the connected phone. So, your router with the bluetooth dongle would need to act as the VoIP server.
You should also have a look at the asterisk project, especially for supported hardware - I think to recall that there are some usb boxes supported, which also let you use VoIP and landline on the same phone line.

Hmmm...

first of all thanks MBS for the initial kick. Thats what I had in mind but I didnt know asterisk18 is the module I'll need. Looks huge smile
Studying some introductory pages about it in order to understand what it can do and how much Ill need to hack to add bluetooth. I like sharing info so if I find anything, it will be in this thread too smile

asterisk here I come...

Okay... promising research so far.
I watched this to become familiar with asterisk
http://www.asterisk.org/node/56?sid=24908
(Wow! How can an open source free app be so powerful with an incredible amount of features)

Some relatively related pages but for trixbox and asterisk
http://www.geek-pages.com/articles-for- … on-trixbox

Proof that this is already possible. I won't need to hack anything...
http://modmyi.com/forums/member-written … rking.html

will keep you updated...

Unfortunately I gave up on this one... It seems feasible but it requires analog telephone cards (ATA, FXO, FXS) to actually connect a standard telephone to it to work and it would take my little <for fun>project beyond budget. If you get openwrt, asterisk and bluetooth in a modem/router you can have all the above but only through a seperate SIP/VoIP phone which is not what I want.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help sad

Check out asterisk and chan_mobile and chan_dongle

The discussion might have continued from here.