OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Run Xinu on Atheros ar9331(WR703N)

The content of this topic has been archived on 4 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all:

Maybe this topic should not post here,but this project also need many info(help) get from openwrt,so i want to post it here.

I try to port Xinu to ar9331 SoC(WR703N).

About Xinu,read this:

http://www.xinu.cs.purdue.edu/

I'm reading the great book:
Operating System Design - The Xinu Approach, Linksys Version

Why start this project:
The Operating System Design - The Xinu Approach, Linksys Version is a very great book,it's use the Linksys E2100L router as a backend,it's relatively inexpensive for some people,but it's still very expensive for some people in the world,especially to the guys in developing country.
The atheros ar9331 based router is really more inexpensive than Linksys E2100L and i hope it's will be appear in every corner of the wrold in the next few years.So i hope more guys can read this great book and do experiment when he/she want to study OS.So I try to implement all as the book,make the change as little as possible.

The project home page:
http://code.google.com/p/run-xinu-on-atheros-ar9331/

Hope i can finish the first "can run" version in this year,but don't promise.

Hope this is helpful.

Why? Don't get me wrong, xinu looks like a great teaching tool.
But why rely on a single university department to develop an OS when things like openWRT have huge support?
What is the advantage of xinu over openWRT?

@robthebrew:
Not Xinu over OpenWrt.
When I try to get Xinu work,I need refer many "doc" from OpenWrt,just like how to get the TTL work.
I also check the OpenWrt kernel code to make the Xinu work,so OpenWrt have big help when I try to get the Xinu work on AR9331.

step 1:
You must make the TTL work on your WR703N.

step 2:
download the source code.

svn checkout http://run-xinu-on-atheros-ar9331.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ run-xinu-on-atheros-ar9331-read-only

step 3:
compile it.
cd run-xinu-on-atheros-ar9331-read-only
type "make"
you will get the "tuboot.bin" and "xinu.boot" in "run-xinu-on-atheros-ar9331-read-only/bin" directory.

step 4:
upgrade your WR703N bootloader to "tuboot.bin"

step 5:
power on wr703n,press "x" can stop run in bootloader,"run xinu" command will try the xinu.
(you need set the tftp server,put the "xinu.boot" in tftp server root directory,see "run xinu" command check what it do ...)

step 6:
if you want to flash the xinu flash,try the command "run fxinu".

mips wrote:

step 1:
You must make the TTL work on your WR703N.

step 2:
download the source code.

svn checkout http://run-xinu-on-atheros-ar9331.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ run-xinu-on-atheros-ar9331-read-only

step 3:
compile it.
cd run-xinu-on-atheros-ar9331-read-only
type "make"
you will get the "tuboot.bin" and "xinu.boot" in "run-xinu-on-atheros-ar9331-read-only/bin" directory.

step 4:
upgrade your WR703N bootloader to "tuboot.bin"

step 5:
power on wr703n,press "x" can stop run in bootloader,"run xinu" command will try the xinu.
(you need set the tftp server,put the "xinu.boot" in tftp server root directory,see "run xinu" command check what it do ...)

step 6:
if you want to flash the xinu flash,try the command "run fxinu".

Current is the debug stage,but hope some guys can try it.
Some risk will brick your device when upgrade the bootloader,you need very careful,if you don't know what your are doing,please not try this project.I will add more careful doc later ...

any progress ?

i am developing bareboard applications for AR9331, something easy you can tftpboot without changing the firmware, so may be i will adapt you XINU port this way smile

p.s.
no risk at all here, i have desoldered the Soic flash and wired to a DIP8, so i can use my USB-DIP8 flash programmer to reprogram the flash if something goes wrong smile

Hi carlojpisani:

Sorry,I'm very busy so not go on this project in the past days.
You can try it if can use the flash programmer,so you don't afraid brick the device. smile

The discussion might have continued from here.