OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: linksys e3200 got bricked

The content of this topic has been archived on 13 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello, I've bricked my e3200 by installing OpenWRT firmware which I compiled from trunk. As it was mentioned the truck already has support for this device.
At this point device blinks when I power it on and I can get 3 ping response from 192.168.1.1 but no more. No TFTP or DHCP requests.
I have some experience with Linux, but not much with hardware hacking and soldering.
I've managed to connect USB to RS232 TTL Converter Module (looks like the one on the picture: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/hardware/port.serial) to the pads marked on the picture as a Serial.

The problem is the device is not detected on the PC. No sign that something becomes connected.
I tried to reorder connections with the Serial and the Remote download adapter. Nothing I've tried, have provided me with /dev/ttyUSB0.

Although I never connected power pin, could I burn something on the PCB?
May be someone can give an advice how to proceed? Search for telephone cable for Nokia? Use multimeter? What to look for? It's also unclear to me should I use "TTL Broadcom USB Remote Download Adapter" is this some equivalent to the Serial?

I also tried the trick with boot_wait and tftp. Tftp client sends data, the router stays pingable, power led blinks slowly and a flash process seems to be unsuccessful.

The discussion might have continued from here.