OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: connect two LAN through WAN port - doesn't connect

The content of this topic has been archived on 24 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup a new network configuration, but I can't get it to work.

I have installed OpenWrt Backfire 10.03.1 and followed the "routed AP" guide.

I have a router to the internet from my internet provider, including a wireless accesspoint, called WAP_1.
This router from my internet provider has DHCP enabled.
Also PC1 is connected to this modem/router and has IP address 192.168.100.10

The TP-Link WR-1043ND is connected to the modem/router, LAN to WAN port on the TP-Link WR-1043ND.
There is also a GUEST access point which only connects to the internet. That works fine.
PC2 is connect to one of the four LAN ports of the WR-1043ND. The IP of PC2 is 192.168.100.143

It looks like this:

Modem/Router                                            WR-1043ND
                              +------------------+                            +------------------------+         
ISP Internet   --------| 192.168.100.1  |LAN-------------WAN| 192.168.100.100      |LAN---- PC2
                               | DHCP               |                             |                                |
                               |                        |LAN---PC1              |                                |
                               |                        |LAN---NAS             |                                |
                              +-------------------+                          +------------------------+
                              | WLAN - WAP_1   |                           | WLAN - GUEST          |
                              |192.168.100.xxx |                           | 192.168.200.xxx       |
                             +-------------------+                          +-------------------------+

Now, I would like to get PC2 and PC1 connected (disk share) or PC2 connected to the NAS.
PC2 has connection to the internet, but not to the NAS or PC1.
These are in the same IP range, but don't get connected.
What do I need to do to get PC1 and PC2 connected so they "see" eachother and do e.g. file transfer??

Can someone help me, to get this working?
Thanks!

Best regards,
Dre

I would suggest following:

Modem/Router                                            WR-1043ND
                              +------------------+                            +------------------------+         
ISP Internet   --------| 192.168.100.1  |LAN 1----- --- LAN 1| 192.168.100.100      |LAN 2---- PC2
                               | DHCP               |LAN 2                     |                                |LAN 3
                               |                        |LAN 3---PC1            |                                |LAN 4
                               |                        |LAN 4---NAS           |                                |WAN not used or change to LAN Vlan
                              +-------------------+                           +------------------------+
                              | WLAN - WAP_1   |                            | WLAN - GUEST          |
                              |192.168.100.xxx |                             | 192.168.200.xxx       |
                             +-------------------+                            +-------------------------+

On WR-1043ND don't use DHCP for lan only use the DHCP for your GUEST WLAN.

(Last edited by mkhlzhr on 15 Sep 2012, 19:51)

Separating interfaces using VLANS will be the way to go but you will want to first take the WNR-1043ND router out of the DHCP pool. Give it the address 192.168.100.2. You want to only use the gateway router as your DHCP server. On the gateway router, you will want to add a vlan for your guest wifi and trunk it through port 1.

Thanks for the replies.
So, I connected the WR-1043ND with LAN1 to the Modem/router (instead of the WAN).

But now PC1 has a strange IP address. Clients connected to the WLAN GUEST do get a correct IP in range, but no access to the internet.

Probably I have to add a route or define a DNS? But I don't know which and how.

Can you help with with the next step?
Thanks!

Best regards,
Dre

(Last edited by dre111 on 17 Sep 2012, 21:09)

The discussion might have continued from here.