OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WR703N upgrade flash to 128 Mbit

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,
usually there is a FL032PIF in a WR703N. I would like to replace the flash chip by a FL128PIF (128 Mbit / 16 MB). There are offers from China around $5 each.

What do you think about this?

muebau

why not use usb storage?

fr4nk wrote:

why not use usb storage?

Hi,
hmmm thought it could be funny to replace the flash. It might be faster either? Do you think it would be equally?

muebau

First replace ram that's what is important smile
usb-storage isn't slower than flash.

It is really easy to replace the flash, but you need a programmer to get the new image on it. slboat is selling rom/ram/programmer kit.
Take a look here:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=38664
He is a great guy, very helpful.

robthebrew wrote:

It is really easy to replace the flash, but you need a programmer to get the new image on it. slboat is selling rom/ram/programmer kit.
Take a look here:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=38664
He is a great guy, very helpful.

Hi,
a programmer... right. Never thought about this. Hmmm I think USB is a great replacement. :-)

What is about the RAM. In the first place I would like to play a bit with the device. To replace the RAM is a big task because of the many, many pins on the RAM chip.

Where do you get the RAM chips from. Is there a seller in Europe/Germany?

muebau

There is info on the WiKi about what RAM to use. I got mine off slboat (took a week or so from China). Once I have successfully desoldered and resoldered a couple of old boards, I will post pics of how I did or did not manage to replace the ram wink
It is theoretically possible without a hot-air station. But I will need to practice on something unimportant first!!
The Wiki link:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n

I researched about this few weeks ago...
Search on ebay, there are a lot of RAM modules where you can get the ram chips:
Put this on ebay search:
"512MB ddr 333 sodimm -ddr2 -ddr3"
and also try
"512MB ddr 400 sodimm -ddr2 -ddr3"
There you can get two type of ram modules, 32x16 or 64x8. You need the 32mx16.

Look into the pictures for m470l6524bt0 - cb3
Those modules are 32Mx16, available both in 333 and 400MHz versions, but it doesn't matter as they all have 400MHz chips.
They're around $10 free shipping, each module has 8 x 64MB chips, that means you can upgrade 8 routers.
If you don't break any chip while desoldering, its a nice deal.
Tip: For unsoldering everything easy and safely for the chips, if you want to trip all from the board, a good way is to put a 50W halogen bulb under the module, at about 5 cm. It will start to heat and in about a minute it will have reached the 300ÂșC needed to melt the solder, then you only need to remove them with some tool, or you can give it a shake over a smooth surface, and the willl drop on it.

@muebau

Look at your PM inbox I'm from germany and got five 512 mbit chips left from so dimm, they work in tp-link routers.

(Last edited by fr4nk on 13 Sep 2012, 16:12)

dabyd64: did you try the halogen on this board? Seems like the traces just want to jump off!
I have successfully removed the RAM using low melt solder (chipquik). Cleaning the pads was a breeze, but cleaning up the removed chip was a pain.
I hope I can drag solder the new one first go otherwise it will be pain. Pics to follow..

I actually replaced my RAM chip from a SODIMM a few days ago with just an iron (cheap Weller 25watts, not adjustable), copper braids, liquid flux and LOTS of patience.
I bridge soldered both sides of the chip (no ChipQuick yet in my lab!) and just heated repeatedly and pried it off. That was actually the hardest part. The 64MB chip was in good shape after the removal, but the original 32MB chip is kind of banana-shaped right now. Luckily I didn't lift any pads!

It took a few iterations of touching up the soldering and testing it before having a successful boot. I did a run with memtester afterwards and everything wan dandy!

I should really post a few of my crappy pictures somewhere (gotta get a lightbox!)

ZotDitzMyo wrote:

I actually replaced my RAM chip from a SODIMM a few days ago with just an iron (cheap Weller 25watts, not adjustable), copper braids, liquid flux and LOTS of patience.
I bridge soldered both sides of the chip (no ChipQuick yet in my lab!) and just heated repeatedly and pried it off. That was actually the hardest part. The 64MB chip was in good shape after the removal, but the original 32MB chip is kind of banana-shaped right now. Luckily I didn't lift any pads!

It took a few iterations of touching up the soldering and testing it before having a successful boot. I did a run with memtester afterwards and everything wan dandy!

I should really post a few of my crappy pictures somewhere (gotta get a lightbox!)

I spoke to soon! I fixed the new RAM by bridging the first 2 pins on either side. Then I drag soldered along both sides, only to discover that one pin was bent back. I messed around way too much and lifted both its own pad and one next to it.

I will remove the chip and see if I can access the 2 traces, but I am not hopeful.

IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE lots of soldering before, I CANNOT recommend doing this without lots of practice on old boards first. The traces and pads on this board are very delicate.

Of couse I didn't try the halogen method on the router board! Its almost guaranteed that you will remove something else and break it.
I said to use that methond only on boards in which you want to remove all the components...for example removing all the chips from the RAM module.

The discussion might have continued from here.