Topic: Problem "upgrading" TP-LINK MR-3220 to OpenWRT using www

Hi,
I just got an MR3220, (it is not paid yet, so I can't disassemble it to solder serial...),
I want to flash OpenWRT to it.
I have read that I have to use trunk, so downloaded an image (bin).
Now if I want to flash it from TP-LINK www, IF filename is openwrt*, www refuses to start upgrade.
IF I change NAME to some existing TP-LINK image, I can "start" upgrade ("Do you really...?"), but then I get:
"Error code: 18005
Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name."

[I have even downgraded firmware to version from TP-LINK site dated 2011, but this does not help]

Sticker on the back says "Ver 1.2"
Hardware revision: MR3220 v1

Anyone help?

Re: Problem "upgrading" TP-LINK MR-3220 to OpenWRT using www

I have a same router and my flashing was all ok.
Ok can u post whole name of binary file that u used ?
If u make any changes to router then u need to reset it to factory default settings ?

3 (edited by laurentp 2012-08-30 00:49:35)

It's a bit crazy:
now I have firmware (TP-LINK), 3.12.19 (110617), and despite of "factory defaults"
router refuses to upgrade to ANY firmware, (including TP-LINK's),
with a "Please choose a file to upgrade" message box.... WTF?

I have tried to use: http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … actory.bin
this file.

[edit]
The message box is a bug in some JavaScript used, I guess, as it appears EVEN with router powered down...
[/edit]

[edit2 - SOLVED]
What worked:
copying OpenWRT to /tmp - short path,
renaming ot after TP-LINK firmware, with last part (xxxxx) being date of the file (don't know if it is really needed, but I did this way, and now I have OpenWRT on this device...
[/edit2]

ok very strange, have you tried to reset it with H/W button (reset) button on back and restore to default in web UI ? have you tried it on both ways ?

My only guess it's because you're downgraded firmware, did u tried newer/older TP Link updates then 3.12.19 ?

Look at my edit second [edit], now it works.

Now time to build my own firmware sad....
I don't need *netfilter* stuff, I want LuCI and need to test if anyRemote will fit on this...
And my scripts need bash, ~850kB sad

After flashing default firmware (trunk) I have 1200kB free.

laurentp wrote:

Now time to build my own firmware sad....
I don't need *netfilter* stuff, I want LuCI and need to test if anyRemote will fit on this...
And my scripts need bash, ~850kB sad

After flashing default firmware (trunk) I have 1200kB free.

This is great news, and I'm also thinking about compressing a open wrt but now I have other problems

If you come up to maybe 2048kb free it would be nice to post that binary somewhere.

vido wrote:

This is great news, and I'm also thinking about compressing a open wrt but now I have other problems

If you come up to maybe 2048kb free it would be nice to post that binary somewhere.

OK, but this will NOT be a router, just AP / WDS, no LuCI as I can say for now,
- madplay & deps (+usb-snd),
- anyRemote and deps, POSSIBLY bluez-utils for configuration, but those are HEAVY (&deps)...
- bash (it it fits.. for my scripts).

Putting all those on squashfs should me more effective than on jffs2 (compression).

Is it possible to attach binary here?

9 (edited by written_direcon 2012-08-30 06:54:14)

I bought my TL-WR3020 a week ago and flashing via the stock web interface went fine.

You can download the image I used and build by myself from here. It includes 3G (incl. usb-modeswitch) stuff and LuCI Web UI and extroot. E. g. I use a 3G dongle with an SD card + extroot and it works well! It's trunk r33288.

Is it possible to attach binary here?

I think, here you can not attach the file larger than 2 Mb, but there are so many sites where you can, for example you can use dropbox

greeting

written_direcon wrote:

I bought my TL-WR3020 a week ago and flashing via the stock web interface went fine.

You can download the image I used and build by myself from here. It includes 3G (incl. usb-modeswitch) stuff and LuCI Web UI and extroot. E. g. I use a 3G dongle with an SD card + extroot and it works well! It's trunk r33288.

link is not working