Topic: TP-Link TL-WR703N, cannot install luci, no internet connection.

The router is not mine, i borrowed it from a friend for some days, and i have messed things up.

I flashed the original firmware with this (http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … pgrade.bin). after that i accessed it from telnet 192.168.1.1 and created a password.

Now i can it only from PuTTy. WinSCP doesnt work. I have only one ethernet port and that is i am using to connect to the router. i cannot install install luci.

Is there a way i can install luci without internet?

I am a complete noob in these matters. please explain in easy way.

Re: TP-Link TL-WR703N, cannot install luci, no internet connection.

*If* you have an existing router which serves DHCP then do the following:

SSH into the 703n, turn the ethernet port into a DHCP client:

uci set network.lan.proto=dhcp
uci commit network

In case things go wrong let's configure a fallback IP as well:

uci set network.fallback=interface
uci set network.fallback.ifname=eth0
uci set network.fallback.proto=static
uci set network.fallback.ipaddr=192.168.3.1
uci set network.fallback.netmask=255.255.255.0
uci commit network

Connect the 703n LAN port to one of the LAN ports of your existing router, powercycle it and wait two minutes.
Go to the adminstrative page of your main router and see which IP got assigned to the 703n, use that IP to SSH to it again. Once you're in it you can use "opkg update", "opkg install luci".

If you think you lost your wr703n, set your PC statically to 192.168.3.2, netmask 255.255.255.0, connect the ethernet cable straight to the WR703n and access by the 192.168.3.1 IP address.

I have a ADSL modem, but don`t know if it can serve as DHCP? how to check?

And also (if it can help) i am using Windows not Linux.

Ok, i checked my ADSL modem, it has something called DHCP table. i did turn the ethernet port to dhcp client. now the IP assigned to the router is 192.168.1.2.

Question is how to use this IP to SSH to wr703n again.

usama_92 wrote:

I have a ADSL modem, but don`t know if it can serve as DHCP? how to check?

And also (if it can help) i am using Windows not Linux.

Check your adsl modem admin interface. It is probably located at http://192.168.1.1

For second no need to use Linux. You can use putty to access with SSH to your router.

usama_92 wrote:

Ok, i checked my ADSL modem, it has something called DHCP table. i did turn the ethernet port to dhcp client. now the IP assigned to the router is 192.168.1.2.

Question is how to use this IP to SSH to wr703n again.

ADSL modems doesn't have dhcp client feature AFAIK.

Use putty to access 192.168.1.2 now.

Well, i got it working, got into SSH with new ip (maybe my modem isn't ADSL). doing update now.

One more thing, when i get luci running, can i flash back to original firmware (i have the .bin file)

No, you cannot flash the original firmware via LuCI. That must be done via U-Boot and a serial connection.

What's a serial connection tongue

jow wrote:

No, you cannot flash the original firmware via LuCI. That must be done via U-Boot and a serial connection.

So what is Flashing option in luci interface available for?

For upgrading OpenWrt.

And can you tell me what is perfect setting for Wifi routing and also what is the best mode to password on Wifi (like WPA-Open/Shared/WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK/WPA+WPA2-PSK Mixed Mode)

usama_92 wrote:

And can you tell me what is perfect setting for Wifi routing and also what is the best mode to password on Wifi (like WPA-Open/Shared/WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK/WPA+WPA2-PSK Mixed Mode)

WPA2 all the way

jow wrote:

WHAT?? i always thought that stock firmware could be flashed from ssh with mtd -r write etc etc...

Thanks fobo and jow, you have been of great help.

nebbia88 wrote:

WHAT?? i always thought that stock firmware could be flashed from ssh with mtd -r write etc etc...

That might be possible but it seems nobody tried so far. From comparing the factory and sysupgrade images with vbindiff it seems that they're quite similar, yet there are some differences in the first block - maybe some checksum or partition table, so I am not confident whether a factory oem image written with mtd will get accepted by the bootloader (checksum test..)

18 (edited by nebbia88 2012-07-18 05:41:37)

ok i got it, you're talking about this specific router, not for example all the other tp-links...

anyway i have this model and i'm available to test!

is there some commands/oem firmware i can try to flash "safely" with mtd? in case something goes wrong can i always recover by serial?