OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Advice on buying an ADSL Modem/Router

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I'm going to buy an ADSL Modem/Router, but I don't have much options, most of the available devices are brcm63xx based (TP-Link W89xx, and others), which doesn't have an ADSL driver.

However, I found this Ralink based Aztech DSL5005EN (Scroll to the HARDWARE section for more info). This device runs Linux already, as one can see in the system log screenshot from the manual:
http://www.lastown.com/tmp/DSL5005EN_SYSLOG.png

The question is: should I buy a brcm63xx based device and wait till ADSL driver is available so I can use OpenWrt on it, or do I go with the Aztech device and experiment with it? Please Advice.

I'm currently using openwrt on the Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H which supports ADSL2+ and supposedly both a and b annexes. I'm very happy it and you find a growing number of owners here for tech support as well.

Unfortunately Buffalo products are not available here. I have to choose between a brcm63xx based device and the not-so-known linux-based "Aztech DSL5005EN" one.

The way I chose my openwrt router was from this forum. Just look for any threads about the routers you are interested in and see how far people have got with putting openwrt on it.

Also which country are you in? Can't you order from a neighboring country or possibly off ebay?

I searched for information about having openwrt on the available devices (As I have limited options), it is possible to get it on some of them, but I will lose the ADSL2+ port. (They are brcm63xx based, and that target doesn't have adsl driver yet).

I live in Syria, there are sanctions and a lot of boundaries when it comes to import/export, especially nowadays. Ordering from another country isn't a guaranteed option.

Below is a list of available models, I spent few hours searching and found out they are either broadcom based, based on another unsupported platform, or have no information available.
* TP-LINK TD-W8951ND
* TP-LINK TD-W8961ND
* TP-LINK TD-W8950N
* TP-LINK TD-W8901
* TP-LINK TD-W8960N

* Linksys WAG120N
* Linksys x2000

* ASUS RT-N10E
* ASUS N12U

* Netgear DGNB2100
* Netgear DGN1000

* D-Link 2730U
* D-Link 2750U

* TENDA W150D
* Billion 5200G
* Micronet SP3367NL
* AirLive (Various Models)
* SMC 7904

..And of course the Aztech DSL5005EN that runs Linux already.

Thanks for helping.

aularon wrote:

I searched for information about having openwrt on the available devices (As I have limited options), it is possible to get it on some of them, but I will lose the ADSL2+ port. (They are brcm63xx based, and that target doesn't have adsl driver yet).

dude to narrow down your results furthure its better to talk about the platforms instead

currently

brcm63xx -- platform new generation but no adsl router so far
TI AR7 -- texas instruments have dsl support with openwrt with snagam driver but no wifi support for the built in wifi in the router
lantiq dsl -- also have drivers in openwrt linux this also has ddwrt support  eg:WBMR-HP-G300H

so in a nutshell only router that have dsl support in openwrt is

the ti ar7 ---- many dlinks .older linksys etc
and lantiq dsl ----the buffalo...

i love to to know more on other dsl platforms supported in openwrt ...

lol even i'm planning to buy a dsl modem too and have been searching all this time...

the buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H seems to be the best so far but i also can't find it ......

(Last edited by drekthar on 12 Jul 2012, 04:41)

I bought the Aztech DSL5005EN(U) model, the best available in my case, here is a brief telnet session with some info, if anyone else searched/got here:

aularon@aularon-laptop:~$ telnet 192.168.1.1
Trying 192.168.1.1...
Connected to 192.168.1.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
DSL5005EN(U) login: admin
Password: 
# df
Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mtdblock3            4096      4096         0 100% /
# free
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:        29160        13860        15300            0          372
 Swap:            0            0            0
Total:        29160        13860        15300
# uname -a
Linux DSL5005EN(U) 2.6.22.15 #626 Tue Jul 26 17:17:17 SGT 2011 mips unknown

I'll try to get more informations about it, and how far it's compatible with openwrt.
If anyone can give me links on where to start, that will help : )

Netgear DGN1000 is Infineon Danube Based, as far as I know Lantiq/Infineon based routers are the only one with adsl driver supported by OpenWRT

aularon wrote:

I live in Syria, there are sanctions and a lot of boundaries when it comes to import/export, especially nowadays. Ordering from another country isn't a guaranteed option.

Below is a list of available models, I spent few hours searching and found out they are either broadcom based, based on another unsupported platform, or have no information available.
* TP-LINK TD-W8951ND
* TP-LINK TD-W8961ND
* TP-LINK TD-W8950N
* TP-LINK TD-W8901
* TP-LINK TD-W8960N

* Linksys WAG120N
* Linksys x2000

* ASUS RT-N10E
* ASUS N12U

* Netgear DGNB2100
* Netgear DGN1000

* D-Link 2730U
* D-Link 2750U

* TENDA W150D
* Billion 5200G
* Micronet SP3367NL
* AirLive (Various Models)
* SMC 7904

..And of course the Aztech DSL5005EN that runs Linux already.

Thanks for helping.

Hi,

Have you completed the purchase and setup?? What is your review?

And brother... are you in a safe area of your country?

Also looking for a DSL modem (my current dlink hangs for 2~10min everytime there's a spike of encrypted traffic going trhu)

i'm posting this here just because this thread is the 1st google result for several queries on this topic.

remember that there is a hardware list and that it lists DSL support: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start (ctrf+f and search for dsl)

None of the devices listed with ADSL2+ are available on my country. I'll have to order from Ebay. wink

I have a TPLink WDR4300 running OpenWRT+Gargoyle and I would like a modem running latest OpenWRT to further reduce bufferbloat. smile

Any suggestion on a reliable/fast for ADSL2+? Anything that I can get from Ebay to Brazil would be fine.

(Last edited by flynn on 29 May 2013, 12:30)

The discussion might have continued from here.