OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: What did I do to my Fonera 2.0n?

The content of this topic has been archived on 12 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I build a firmware for my Fonera 2.0n from trunk r32233 with these settings:

Target System ? Ralink RT288x/RT3xxx
Subtarget ? RT305x based boards
Kernel modules ? Wireless Drivers ? kmod-rt2800-pci (default anyway)
LuCI ? Collections ? luci

I then downloaded the firmware (factory version) to the Fonera (running Fonera 20n Firmware v2.3.6.0) and flashed it:

root@Fonera:~# mv openwrt-ramips-rt305x-fonera20n-squashfs-factory.bin fon20nopenwrt.bin
root@Fonera:~# mtd -r write fon20nopenwrt.bin image
Unlocking image ...
Writing from fon20openwrt.bin to image ...  [w]
Rebooting ...
Connection to 192.168.10.1 closed by remote host.
Connection to 192.168.10.1 closed.

I then reconfigured my desktop's ethernet interface to 192.168.1.254. But while the Fonera's LEDs look ok, I can't connect to it.

I guess, flashing the factory firmware instead of the sysupgrade firmware was a bad idea.

What have I done wrong? How do I proceed from here?

Thanks in advance,
Malte

(Last edited by mforkel on 19 Jun 2012, 18:26)

You should "telnet" to 192.168.1.1

Unfortenately, I can't

root@gyro:/home/malte# telnet 192.168.1.1
Trying 192.168.1.1...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: No route to host

even though there is a route

root@gyro:/home/malte# route -n
Kernel-IP-Routentabelle
Ziel            Router          Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
... eth0 ...
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1

Listening with wireshark on eth1, there are no packets coming in from the Fonera while it's booting or any time after that.

Well, I had good success with older models up to the Fonera 2.0g. They are well supported by OpenWrt, use Redboot as a bootloader, and need no solderung for serial access in case something goes wrong. Most older models will even offer access to the bootloader via Ethernet. Its the older models that the wiki page is talking about.

The Fonera 2.0n is a different beast: U-Boot w/o Ethernet access, different wireless hardware w/o open source drivers (correct me if I'm wrong). Other than that, its a nice router...

But again: What did I do wrong (e.g. factory vs. sysupgrade image)? How should I proceed (e.g. restore original firmware in failsafe mode)?

(Last edited by mforkel on 19 Jun 2012, 21:11)

To answer my own questions:
1) I should have flashed the sysupgrade firmware with mtd via SSH.
2) I recovered by flashing the factory firmware via TFTP as decribed here.

My clue was that the FON2302 restore image and the OpenWrt factory image have very similiar headers, while the OpenWrt sysupgrade image has a different header.

The discussion might have continued from here.