OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: What's inside and will it work.

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi OpenWRTers, i've just moved to China from the UK and i've picked myself up a Dlink DIR-612 (only available in china http://www.dlink.com.cn/products/?pid=DIR-612 )

Other than the management interface being in Chinese, it's working just fine to provide my PPPoE and NAT.

I'v telneted to it and had a poke around, it seems to be a pretty standard BusyBox based system with a squashfs file system.

Id love to put OpenWRT on it so I can make it selectively proxy or route traffic through my VPN (through the great firewall of china) so I don't have to use cumbersome VPN clients or proxy configurations separately on each of my home PCs

I'd really like to minimise the risk of bricking the box before trying anything so I was hoping you guys might be able to help me identify the internals and work out the chances of OpenWRT being compatible.

I'm happy to share my findings (it seems to me that it might be rather nice to have a simple "bypass the great firewall" solution for others to use.)

Here's what I know now. If there's anything I can do to help work out if this box is compatible please let me know.

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type             : RTL8196C
processor               : 0
cpu model               : 52481
BogoMIPS                : 389.12
tlb_entries             : 32
mips16 implemented      : yes

# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:          11500 kB
MemFree:             896 kB
Buffers:             408 kB
Cached:             2296 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:             2584 kB
Inactive:           1904 kB
Active(anon):        844 kB
Inactive(anon):     1056 kB
Active(file):       1740 kB
Inactive(file):      848 kB
SwapTotal:             0 kB
SwapFree:              0 kB
Dirty:                 0 kB
Writeback:             0 kB
AnonPages:          1916 kB
Mapped:             1120 kB
Slab:               5356 kB
SReclaimable:        296 kB
SUnreclaim:         5060 kB
PageTables:          228 kB
NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
Bounce:                0 kB
WritebackTmp:          0 kB
CommitLimit:        5748 kB
Committed_AS:       4052 kB
VmallocTotal:    1048404 kB
VmallocUsed:         160 kB
VmallocChunk:    1022724 kB

Thanks in advance.

-sam

The discussion might have continued from here.