OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-LINK 150Mpps TL-WR703N V 1.6 Chinesepload

The content of this topic has been archived on 15 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi, I've trawled the internet for an easy guide to change to English. I am not a programmer. I can connect to TP_LINK using browser 192.168.1.1 ok and find userRpm/SoftwareUpgradeRpm.htm by hovering over links in Chinese. Is there a simple step by step guide to upload English version and is there a user guide. Thanks a mil in advance.

You can find everything you need on this page: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr703n

There is a problem with the current firmware build for this router. You need to wait for a build that not made on May 29th or you will brick your router.

Thanks. I'm not familar with openwrt. I can see the download file directories and open them to view content but how do I download and save to laptop (used to downloading zip file and extracting content). I must be missing something simple.

Flashed wr703n, seemed to load and reboot ok. However couldn't access over web. Followed fist login and set passwrd, however couldn't access via web. Tried Failsafe and reset passwd. Still can't access via ssh. Please suggest what steps I can take. I can login failsafe using putty but what is username ??? e.g. ssh root@192.168.1.1. Any help welcome.

The first steps are to go in via telnet and set a password for root.
Once a password for root is set it will disable telnet and enable ssh

Followed instructions http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe and reset passwd see below from putty screen. It seems to successfully change passwd and actiavte ssh. However as shown below when I try to ssh using putty the username root and new passwd are denied access. 

=== IMPORTANT ============================
  Use 'passwd' to set your login password
  this will disable telnet and enable SSH
------------------------------------------

BusyBox v1.19.4 (2012-06-05 10:54:24 PDT) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

_______                     ________        __
|       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
|   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
|_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
-----------------------------------------------------
ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT (Bleeding Edge, r32062)
  * 1/4 oz Vodka      Pour all ingredients into mixing
  * 1/4 oz Gin        tin with ice, strain into glass.
  * 1/4 oz Amaretto
  * 1/4 oz Triple sec
  * 1/4 oz Peach schnapps
  * 1/4 oz Sour mix
  * 1 splash Cranberry juice
root@(none):/# mount_root
switching to jffs2
root@(none):/# passwd
Changing password for root
New password:
Bad password: too weak
Retype password:
Password for root changed by root
root@(none):/# firstboot
firstboot has already been run
jffs2 partition is mounted, only resetting files
root@(none):/# redoot -f
/bin/ash: redoot: not found
root@(none):/# reboot -f

I then open a new putty session and try login ssh
login as: root
root@192.168.1.1's password:
Access denied
root@192.168.1.1's password:

(Last edited by PeterN on 9 Jun 2012, 12:14)

You can see that from above I get root@none: rather the root@openwrt: when I telnet in failsafe mode - what does this mean??? Can I rectify?? I'm now totally confused as to what stage in loading openwrt I'm at. Please help

(Last edited by PeterN on 9 Jun 2012, 12:13)

PeterN wrote:

You will see that from above I get root@none: rather the root@openwrt: when I telnet in failsafe mode - what does this mean??? Can I rectify??

[root@none]
means that you have not define hostname, yet.  And you even have not define password.
It IS NOT failsafe mode.
You have not setup anything, yet.

openwrt is linux based system.
If you don't have linux knowledge, read and study openwrt wiki, and learn some linux.
Otherwise you just go step by step, then you will come out tons of another questions.

hi,just want know how to get my tl-703n to recognize my usb modem. i ain't a programmer though but no problem i can learn pretty fast

khemist25 wrote:

hi,just want know how to get my tl-703n to recognize my usb modem. i ain't a programmer though but no problem i can learn pretty fast

You can learn pretty fast,
great.
Read this http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/start
You will learn everything about openwrt.

Found thread: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=161522
Answer thread:
"root@none#", it means that you are in failsafe mode, the original rootfs is of course locked, you can just:

firstboot

reboot -f

and then let you computer obtain ip by DHCP, it's probably like 192.168.1.*
thistime ,you can telnet 192.168.1.1,

I followed instructions above and I now see root@OpenWrt:/#

I then used Failsafe again to set passwd and then connected wr703n to my home router (disconnected from web). I could see wr703n on lan and can now ssh successfully to wr703n.

Can someone please tell me what next step is, I had hoped it was just a matter of using upgrade squashfs-sysupgrade.bin firmware for WR703N and then settings in web interface??

(Last edited by PeterN on 9 Jun 2012, 15:38)

Cool, you were in failsafe mode.
But why you enter to failsafe mode ?
Change password also don't need failsafe.
And, openwrt does not come with webui, of coz you can't connect via web.

After fresh flashed, you haven't set password, so you cannot connect via ssh.
Should use telnet !
After set your password, telnet will disable, then connect via ssh......

Next step, read here.....
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/start
Not just asking and asking in the forum.
Obviously you haven't read any documentation.

I followed procedure to upgrade via web interface. It loaded ok and I set ssh passwd. However when I tried to use passwd I got denied access. To cut a long story short I followed openwrt wr703n guide and tried failsafe to reset ssh passwd and got in a complete muddle as it seemed to reset passwd but I still couldn't access ssh. I eventually found above thread above which resolved passwd issue

"root@none#", it means that you are in failsafe mode, the original rootfs is of course locked, you can just:

firstboot

reboot -f

then let you computer obtain ip by DHCP, it's probably like 192.168.1.*
thistime ,you can telnet 192.168.1.1,

I was then unsure where I was in procedure and what was loaded on wr703n.
Thankfully I have now got web interface working using excellent guide found here http://barbara320.gotdns.com/openwrt/WR … etwork.txt

(Last edited by PeterN on 10 Jun 2012, 18:00)

Moving on, I've finally got openwrt and required packages loaded as per http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/3gdongle except package kmod-usb-acm ( couldn't find package) thanks to openwrt forum users. I'm learning little bits as I go but this stuff is vast. I have attached a logread after reboot and printout  for dmseg in the hope someone can point to why its not yet working or if I'm missing something basic (please excuse my ignorance of networking).  Also attached printout of LUCI interface which shows ISP3 interface (my 3G dongle) picking up IP address from Vodafone network but no traffic. My target network is a nanoderf output ethernet to WR703N with 3G USB Dongle (huwei K3765) to my web server is perfered option.

extract dmseg
[    9.980000] nf_conntrack version 0.5.0 (456 buckets, 1824 max)
[   10.220000] ohci_hcd: USB 1.1 'Open' Host Controller (OHCI) Driver
[   10.260000] uhci_hcd: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver
[   10.280000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ehci-platform
[   10.430000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
[   10.440000] USB Serial support registered for generic
[   10.480000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
[   10.480000] usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
[   10.580000] USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
[   10.580000] option 1-1:1.0: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
[   10.590000] usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[   10.600000] option 1-1:1.3: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
[   10.600000] usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB1
[   10.610000] option 1-1:1.4: GSM modem (1-port) converter detected
[   10.620000] usb 1-1: GSM modem (1-port) converter now attached to ttyUSB2
[   10.620000] usbcore: registered new interface driver option
[   10.630000] option: v0.7.2:USB Driver for GSM modems
[   14.510000] eth0: link up (100Mbps/Full duplex)

logread
_Technology Product=HUAWEI_Mobile Serial=?
Jun 19 22:54:09 OpenWrt user.notice usb-modeswitch: 1-1:1.5: Manufacturer=HUAWEI                                                                                        _Technology Product=HUAWEI_Mobile Serial=?
Jun 19 22:54:09 OpenWrt user.notice usb-modeswitch: 1-1:1.6: Manufacturer=HUAWEI                                                                                        _Technology Product=HUAWEI_Mobile Serial=?
Jun 19 22:54:10 OpenWrt user.info sysinit: Loading defaults
Jun 19 22:54:10 OpenWrt user.info sysinit: Loading synflood protection
Jun 19 22:54:10 OpenWrt user.info sysinit: Adding custom chains
Jun 19 22:54:11 OpenWrt user.info sysinit: Loading zones
Jun 19 22:54:12 OpenWrt user.info sysinit: Loading forwardings
Jun 19 22:54:12 OpenWrt user.info sysinit: Loading rules
Jun 19 22:54:13 OpenWrt user.info sysinit: Loading redirects
Jun 19 22:54:13 OpenWrt user.info sysinit: Loading includes
Jun 19 22:54:13 OpenWrt user.info sysinit: Optimizing conntrack
Jun 19 22:54:13 OpenWrt user.info sysinit: Loading interfaces
Jun 19 22:54:13 OpenWrt user.info firewall: adding lan (eth0) to zone lan
Jun 19 22:54:15 OpenWrt authpriv.info dropbear[1178]: Running in background
Jun 19 22:54:16 OpenWrt user.notice dnsmasq: DNS rebinding protection is active, will discard upstream RFC1918 responses!
Jun 19 22:54:16 OpenWrt user.notice dnsmasq: Allowing 127.0.0.0/8 responses
Jun 19 22:54:16 OpenWrt daemon.info dnsmasq[1234]: started, version 2.59 cachesize 150
Jun 19 22:54:16 OpenWrt daemon.info dnsmasq[1234]: compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-DBus no-i18n DHCP TFTP no-conntrack no-IDN
Jun 19 22:54:16 OpenWrt daemon.info dnsmasq[1234]: using local addresses only for domain lan
Jun 19 22:54:16 OpenWrt daemon.info dnsmasq[1234]: reading /tmp/resolv.conf.auto
Jun 19 22:54:16 OpenWrt daemon.info dnsmasq[1234]: using nameserver 192.168.1.25

LUCI Interface

RX: 0.00 B (0 Pkts.)
TX: 0.00 B (0 Pkts.)
IPv4: 10.64.64.64/32

(Last edited by PeterN on 20 Jun 2012, 01:18)

Can't load certain packages since 22/06/2012 these were working and loading fine all week e.g. kmod-usb-serial, kmod-usb-serial-option. I had a second new wr703n, exact same thing happened during install process, this flashed ok using chinese web interface upgrade to lastest wr703n firmware, added luci ok and then tried to add above packages using both luci web and Putty neither worked - failed see result below. What's changed??

Please help I was nearly there with 3G Huawei K3765 connecting ok, like I said I also tried this with new out of the box wr703n and same happens - can't load certain packages (note others like comgt loaded ok).

Putty example of package failing
root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install kmod-usb-serial
Installing kmod-usb-serial (3.3.8-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … ar71xx.ipk.
Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-serial:
*      kernel (= 3.3.8-1-6f47e234de99f74ae68d25836a4682c6) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-serial.

(Last edited by PeterN on 23 Jun 2012, 11:41)

PeterN wrote:

Can't load certain packages since 22/06/2012 these were working and loading fine all week e.g. kmod-usb-serial, kmod-usb-serial-option. I had a second new wr703n, exact same thing happened during install process, this flashed ok using chinese web interface upgrade to lastest wr703n firmware, added luci ok and then tried to add above packages using both luci web and Putty neither worked - failed see result below. What's changed??

Please help I was nearly there with 3G Huawei K3765 connecting ok, like I said I also tried this with new out of the box wr703n and same happens - can't load certain packages (note others like comgt loaded ok).

Putty example of package failing
root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install kmod-usb-serial
Installing kmod-usb-serial (3.3.8-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … ar71xx.ipk.
Collected errors:
* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-serial:
*      kernel (= 3.3.8-1-6f47e234de99f74ae68d25836a4682c6) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-serial.

It is common sense that you have to update your firmware in order to install those kernel modules.

appreciate speedy reply. I reflashed router and started fresh in order to document process and this time it worked. Two possible reasons for success this time round, first I downloaded lastest wr703n upgrade firmware (I may have used version downloaded 8/6/2012 when process failed - not sure), second I did not activate luci packages untill after all packages were installed.
I have a second wr703 and I will complete process with luci activated earlier in process.

(Last edited by PeterN on 23 Jun 2012, 13:51)

The discussion might have continued from here.