OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-WR841N v8.0

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Jul 2014 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

....as AA is possible on v8 hw what about USB mod ( on AR9341 ) or today it's mission impossible  ?

I have 2x of 841N 8.2, it was no problem to flash them with openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v8-squashfs-factory.bin
But I had problems with WDS so I wanted back to the original firmware. I have flashed it directly from update menu (TL-WR841N_V8_120802 from tp-link site)....and its bricked.  Please tell how I can flash back the second one (step by step) and dont brick them. Thanks

(Last edited by koniu12 on 26 Dec 2012, 20:07)

Just read wiki more carefully..

Hi. I have bricked an 8.1. Its behaviour was the same of Quorce router.

@Quorce: can you post the detalied procedure that you used to unbrick your router?
i have an arduino, but i can't tell what are the TX RX and GND port from your pic.

(Last edited by Baldarn on 27 Dec 2012, 22:11)

ofc.. on the arduino tongue

but on the router version 8.1? and what program i have to install on the arduino for see the output?

robchiz wrote:

....as AA is possible on v8 hw what about USB mod ( on AR9341 ) or today it's mission impossible  ?

Good news....seems USB mod is wery possible because TL-MR3420 V2 has same chipset + usb2 port big_smile Maybe someone have better quality photos then:  http://wiki.openwrt.org/ru/toh/tp-link/tl-mr3420 i need that because i want trace usb port on AR9341. Thanks for any help.

I succeded in connecting trough the serial to the router, but i overwrite the boot loader because i erased the wrong part of the memory...
next unbricking method: jtag connector.

I will update the wiki too when time will come.

cheers

Debricking this router is a piece of cake TP-Link TL-WR841N v8.0 and TP-Link TL-MR3420 v2 use the same chipset  (AR9341).

see my post here https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=41326

(Last edited by xopal on 2 Jan 2013, 16:05)

Does anyone know where the router mac's are stored, and possibly how to change them? I debricked one of my routers by just copying
the entire flash as suggested by nebbia88, and of course I now have two identical routers. I dumped the config partition, and could not find anything resembling a mac there, (most of the partition was empty). Is the mac stored within uboot? Is it possible to set and save it from uboot?

I guess I could write the router off on the "educational account", but since openwrt knows how to get it, it must be possible to correct this.

Rgds

Have a look at offset 0x1FC00 of uboot.. On wr703n it's there..

Thanks Nebbia88,

You have been most helpful, and I can confirm that indeed the first mac address is stored in that
location. Some dialects of U-boot can possibly write the mac, I don't know it that is true
for this version, but otherwise it should be possible to patch the dump of mtd0, and write
it back. I am a little hesitant though, since I still am not convinced I did any error when I bricked it initially,
but, I will try to fix this eventually.

Rgds

robchiz wrote:
robchiz wrote:

Good news....seems USB mod is wery possible because TL-MR3420 V2 has same chipset + usb2 port big_smile Maybe someone have better quality photos then:  http://wiki.openwrt.org/ru/toh/tp-link/tl-mr3420 i need that because i want trace usb port on AR9341. Thanks for any help.

http://i49.tinypic.com/mmq6o.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/6yiqm1.jpg

xopal : thank you for good quality photos. Unfortunately seem's one of USB data pin is under chip and mod is to complicated.

hello!

I have the CA-42 cable with 10k resistor and do not work out the characters on screen.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj252/nyasko/FDCA2A6A-101C-4066-9780-9D2442D97CF8-8742-000007A6EC850A69.jpg

I have this usb ttl of mele A2000 and wondered if it will unbrick the router?

thank you very much!

Hello v8 followers, I'd like to buy this router again (it will be v8.2 I think) and try to compile new firmware from trunk , because snapshots does not have support for 12 and 13 channels in EU. I'm using trunk firmwares for wr741nd without big problems (except the wifi dies at random, without any errors in logs, everything seems to be working, but wifi is not seen by pther devices, it happens about once per week, "wifi" command takes it back to life).

Everybody is discussing old AA in here. Someone already tried newer trunk build? Could you please share wifi stability and throughput?

Just flashed Attitude Adjustment 12.09-beta2 /LuCI 0.11 Branch (0.11+svn9402) on my new v8.0. For wat I need it for it seems to be working great. Simple ppoe config on the WAN, bridged WiFi and LAN. I did have an issue with the bridging initially. VLAN tagging is enabled by default, and even though all ports were set untagged, with dot1q enabled, the wireless and LAN would not bridge. I could not ping the LAN GW from the WiFi.  As soon as I disabled tagging, things worked properly.

Wish this router had USB printing and fileshare capability, but for now I am happy.
Thanks for all the hard work!

-J

y.yumu wrote:

Yew wnt, this is the file http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … actory.bin . Just upload it from the web interface and it wi'll work like a charm. I'm also from romania and i had a 8.0 and worked perfectly.

Just did the same with a brand new TP-Link TL-WR841N v8.0 and is working fine, thanks!

miatawnt2b and warchild what is your speedtest on wirelles ?

Hi ovidiub. I'm connecting to the internet through a mobile hostpot so speedtest results are low (around 5Mbps). I've transferred a (1.56GB) file from my NAS (connected through 10/100Mbps ethernet) to my laptop (wifi) and it took around 8min 45s, so:
1.56 * 1024 * 8 / (8 * 60 + 45) = 24.34 Mbps

(Last edited by warchild on 13 Jan 2013, 06:04)

BTW, transferring the same file using ethernet cables only took 2:43s, so 78.40Mbps, so wireless is running slower than expected. Not sure if it's an issue with config, openwrt or router nor how to investigate it...

(Last edited by warchild on 13 Jan 2013, 06:05)

ovidiub wrote:

miatawnt2b and warchild what is your speedtest on wirelles ?

My WAN connection is only 12/5, so there are no problems there.  Wifi to Wifi or Wifi to LAN I don't know yet.  I am using junk broadcom chipsets in my laptops under linux with a crappy driver.  As soon as I can get the wl driver working I'll run some iperf and report back.
-J

I just ordered two of these babies (TP-Link WR841N), the seller tells me they are v8.2.
Should I download the pre-built binaries pointed to in previous messages of this thread, or can/should I download newer ones?
How do I go about flashing them? Can I do it from the router's original firmware web UI?

Sorry for my ignorance if these are lame questions, but I am very afraid of bricking the routers because I don't know how to use serial/jtag or anything - not an electronics guy by any means.
Thanks for any help.

(Last edited by bassman on 18 Jan 2013, 01:08)