OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: VLAN WNDR3700 help

The content of this topic has been archived on 4 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I need some help with VLAN's on the WNDR3700. (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700)

My situation:
* 1 WAN port
-->
* 3 LAN ports (1,2,3) which is internal network (also with wifi). Internal network gets 1 external IP through WAN port. (IP: ~8x.xxx.xxx.xxx)
* 1 LAN port (0) which has to bypass the dhcp and get straight through the WAN port another IP (with another range, netmask, DNS,...) (IP: ~10.xxx.xx.xx)

How is it the best way to solve this problem?
I've already tried some VLAN's and bridges, nothing worked for me. Does someone have a solution for this? I've been testing for over a day now. Really sick of it.
Funny thing that on DD-WRT (other router) it's a simple VLAN config. (1,2,3+LAN) (0+WAN).

The correct setup is:
Modem -> Switch -> TV Decoder | Router -> other stuff
I'd like:
Modem -> Router -> TV Decoder | other stuff

If more info is needed, i'm always ready to provide the info.

Hi Dima_2005,

Assuming you're also a Belgian Telenet user (your username looks familiar from the TIK forum) - we can communicate in Dutch if you'd like.

I'm going to try a simpler solution as soon as I get the opportunity: I've compiled my own firmware for my WNDR3700v2 with support for USB ethernet dongles. I've plugged an Apple USB network dongle in my router and bridged it to the WAN port. Now I just need to plug my Digicorder in there and see if everything still works as expected. No need to mess with VLANs.

Groeten,

Bob

config interface 'loopback'
    option ifname 'lo'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
    option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config interface 'lan'
    option type 'bridge'
    option ifname 'eth0.1'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
    option netmask '255.255.255.0'

config interface 'wan'
    option type 'bridge'
    option ifname 'eth1 eth0.2'
    option proto 'dhcp'

config switch
    option name 'rtl8366s'
    option reset '1'
    option enable_vlan '1'
    option blinkrate '2'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'rtl8366s'
    option vlan '1'
    option ports '1 2 3 5t'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'rtl8366s'
    option vlan '2'
    option ports '0 5t'

config switch_port
    option device 'rtl8366s'
    option port '1'
    option led '6'

config switch_port
    option device 'rtl8366s'
    option port '2'
    option led '9'

config switch_port
    option device 'rtl8366s'
    option port '5'
    option led '2'

THanks guys,
I'll try the VLAN config of jow when I get home.
ALthough I'm pretty sure that I tried this config. And then I didn't have a WAN IP (but I'll try copy/paste of this, maybe it'll work better)

There are two things to consider when bridging wan to one of the lan ports:
- the effective wan facing mac address might change, so maybe you need to reset your cable modem (plug power for 30 seconds) after implementing this config
- a client on the patched-through lan port might request dhcp before the router is able to, e.g. during boot, so make sure the remote actually offers multiple leases

Hi jow,

The client on the patched-through port actually gets a specific (private) IP address from directly from the cable provider, AFAIK in the 10.x.x.x range, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Ok, guys.
I got it! I was using the arokh build, so actually had to configure via Luci and not through the config files (because firewall and some other configs aren't updated).

I just checked the config file and configured it though the GUI.
For further reference:

1) Go to Switch VLAN, set the port which is used to Off in VLAN 1
2) Add another VLAN (2), set the port used to untagged and CPU to tagged
3) Go to WAN, go to physical settings, enable bridge and select eth1 and the VLAN interface you just created (eth0.2)
4) Reboot by removing power and putting it back on.
5) Enjoy smile

The discussion might have continued from here.