OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: High ping when downloading

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Feb 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

this was my first time installing OpenWRT and everything was smooth from start to finish smile
But I am having one little problem...
When my internet connection is maxed out (when I am downloading something, for example), I get very high pings (1,5s) and the browsing is slugish but the download continues at the max. This happens on wired and wireless interfaces.

My speeds are 2Mb/s down and 600kb/s.
My router is one TL-WR941N. I tried googling and searching the forums but couldn't find anything...
What could be the problem? On the original firmware it worked as it should, this problem only happen with OpenWRT.
Is there something that I can do to help diagnose the problem?

Thanks!

EDIT:
I seem to have posted on the wrong forum... Could someone move it to the correct one, please? Thanks!

(Last edited by lagonauta on 8 Apr 2012, 01:26)

You need Turbo TCP (I just love bullshitbingo)

An easier way to achieve this, is to install the qos-scripts.

(Last edited by Orca on 11 Apr 2012, 14:43)

Thanks, it seems to have worked smile
I had no more space left on my unit, so I compiled my own build and... now I can download and browse at the same time smile (and now have 200KB left with all that I need, yay!)

But It seems that I need to have the exact speed written in the config file (or on LuCI), is there any way to make this automatic? Thanks again! smile

The discussion might have continued from here.