OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Custom x86 Image (NO LONGER MAINTAINED)

The content of this topic has been archived between 6 Sep 2015 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Correct, although I had all my normal QoS rules copied over from my old configuration.  You could always just add a few dummy rules.

If qos-start seems to work you can then run qos-stat which should read back the currently active configuration.  If its not working, there will no rules.

Alex Atkin UK wrote:

Correct, although I had all my normal QoS rules copied over from my old configuration.  You could always just add a few dummy rules.

If qos-start seems to work you can then run qos-stat which should read back the currently active configuration.  If its not working, there will no rules.

Thanks for the info.  I'll be digging into some of the QoS stuff soon.

I assume IMQ works fine as I have run downloads off Usenet with no speed restriction set on my PC and mum never complained of buffering on Netflix, plus I haven't seen any myself either.  It just carries on doing SuperHD without a care in the world.  That's the thing with QoS, its so darn hard to test if its doing what you think its doing.

It would be handy if /usr/lib/iptables/libxt_IMQ.so could be supplied by default, assuming it doesn't cause problems.  I'm just concerned my old build of that file could be missing bugfixes, although I believe OpenWRT does stick with the same versions for a long long time.

I'd like to be able to duplicate the build environment as I need to make a number of custom modifications. I have followed instructions by cloning the git openwrt repository and the nnopenwrt repository

cd /opt/openwrt/x86
git clone git://git.openwrt.org/openwrt.git
git clone git://git.openwrt.org/packages.git
git clone https://bitbucket.org/nuskunetworks/nnopenwrt.git

Then I try to execute the pre-process and patch scripts

cd /opt/openwrt/x86/nnopenwrt
bin/pre_process.sh /opt/openwrt/x86/openwrt
bin/patch.sh/opt/openwrt/x86/openwrt

The patch fails with the following

cp: cannot create regular file `/opt/openwrt/x86/openwrt/package/iptables/patches/': No such file or directory
can't find file to patch at input line 5
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|diff --git a/package/kernel/modules/netsupport.mk b/package/kernel/modules/netsupport.mk
|index b4e2a42..6e809dc 100644
|--- package/kernel/modules/netsupport.mk
|+++ package/kernel/modules/netsupport.mk

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong - the location of iptables in the folder shown in the error message seems a bit odd. Would it be possible to post definitive instructions on how to duplicate your build environment and make a build?

dl1234 wrote:

I'd like to be able to duplicate the build environment as I need to make a number of custom modifications. I have followed instructions by cloning the git openwrt repository and the nnopenwrt repository

cd /opt/openwrt/x86
git clone git://git.openwrt.org/openwrt.git
git clone git://git.openwrt.org/packages.git
git clone https://bitbucket.org/nuskunetworks/nnopenwrt.git

Then I try to execute the pre-process and patch scripts

cd /opt/openwrt/x86/nnopenwrt
bin/pre_process.sh /opt/openwrt/x86/openwrt
bin/patch.sh/opt/openwrt/x86/openwrt

The patch fails with the following

cp: cannot create regular file `/opt/openwrt/x86/openwrt/package/iptables/patches/': No such file or directory
can't find file to patch at input line 5
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
|diff --git a/package/kernel/modules/netsupport.mk b/package/kernel/modules/netsupport.mk
|index b4e2a42..6e809dc 100644
|--- package/kernel/modules/netsupport.mk
|+++ package/kernel/modules/netsupport.mk

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong - the location of iptables in the folder shown in the error message seems a bit odd. Would it be possible to post definitive instructions on how to duplicate your build environment and make a build?

You need to be on the openwrt-attitude_adjustment branch for the patches to work correctly.  You may also need to create the iptables/patches directory by hand if it doesn't exist based on the error you've posted.

Any change you'd be willing to share your customizations?  I'm willing to incorporate them into the upstream sources if they are generally beneficial to all.

Apparently the IMQ patch for iptables is not running on the latest build

root@OpenWrtx86:~# iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -i eth2 -j IMQ --todev 0
iptables v1.4.10: unknown option `--todev'
Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.

Gotcha! wrote:

It doesn't work by default on ANY build as its configured for the OpenWRT default of IFB.

If you want to use IMQ you have to overwrite the default QoS scripts with the ones from the old build of OpenWRT before they switched, and also add the IMQ iptables library.  The files I use are here.  Its a good idea to backup the existing files in case you need to revert back to IFB.

I'm also not 100% certain IMQ is working properly in the latest builds as I haven't tried without it in a long time to compare.  I never have issues streaming Netflix with torrents and Usenet downloads running though, so I assume its doing its job.

First off, thank you for creating and more importantly *maintaining* this terrific variant of OpenWRT!  It's greatly appreciated.

Secondly, would it be possible to add the ASIX USB network drivers?  Specifically, I'm looking for the AX88179_178a driver for USB 3.0/2.0 Gigabit USB Ethernet.

Thanks again for the great work on this project!

G

USB networking is already included, just install "kmod-usb-net-asix" from the software section.

Alex Atkin UK wrote:
Gotcha! wrote:

It doesn't work by default on ANY build as its configured for the OpenWRT default of IFB.

If you want to use IMQ you have to overwrite the default QoS scripts with the ones from the old build of OpenWRT before they switched, and also add the IMQ iptables library.  The files I use are here.  Its a good idea to backup the existing files in case you need to revert back to IFB.

I'm also not 100% certain IMQ is working properly in the latest builds as I haven't tried without it in a long time to compare.  I never have issues streaming Netflix with torrents and Usenet downloads running though, so I assume its doing its job.

Thanks for your answer, i'll try it.

*EDIT*

It's working!, only needed the IMQ iptables library, but i have a "little" problem, i need that IMQ can see packet in PREROUTING After NAT.
Can you tell me how to make my own build?

Thanks for all!

(Last edited by Gotcha! on 25 May 2014, 02:08)

Alex Atkin UK wrote:

USB networking is already included, just install "kmod-usb-net-asix" from the software section.

Thanks Alex.  I looked for that and somehow missed it.  I must be getting old. :-)

G

Alex Atkin UK wrote:

Well I don't mean to appear daft, because I've been using various flavors of OpenWRT for a LONG time, but this package appears to be empty.

After installing,

opkg files kmod-usb-net-asix

reports that although the package installed, no files were installed by it.

Further inspection shows that the data.tar.gz inside the .ipk appears to be empty.

I looked at the previous release of this module (from 2013-11-20) and the results were the same.  A build problem, perhaps? Or is there some other magic that I'm missing here?

G

Gents I need kmod-crypto-core

Anyone have it for this kernel version?

I need it for pptpd

* satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-crypto-core:
*     kernel (= 3.3.8-1-fa7af62e0ef1d529ecb7f7efccc706c3) *
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-crypto-core.

I get this error messages if I install another one from trunk!

(Last edited by snakerdude on 31 May 2014, 00:15)

May have been answered but I'm trying the Mar 9nth build for ext4
When I boot it asks for login information.

https://nuskunetworks.app.box.com/s/9a4 … 1720008366

openwrt-x86-generic-combined-ext4.img.gz

edit:
username: root
password: openwrt

Might be helpful for anyone else if you could put that in the top of your post(even though it's at the project's page).

(Last edited by jigglywiggly on 1 Jun 2014, 12:44)

I know I've been quiet lately but I've been a bit busy between the day job and a few other things.

Working on getting the build box going and will hopefully have a fresh, updated, 12.09.1 build "soon".  Will be looking to the above items as soon as I have something building 100%.

The next build will include a number of extra ipv6 related items as well.

Any idea if this update will upgrade over opkg as planned? wink

That said, I don't see any mention that 12.09.1 is close to ready, the page I found said its only 60% finished.

[UPDATE]
I picked up a TP-Link Archer C7 for 802.11ac as it was down at the same price as the PCIe card alone on eBay.  Will ONLY be for WiFi though, my Atom works just too well as a router to replace it.  If I ever do it will be simply to upgrade it to the new quad-core Atoms. wink

I'd be tempted to yank out the PCIe card and try it in the Atom though if you do a trunk build.  That said, it looks like you have competition there.

Tonight I post to let everyone know that I have to suspend work on my build of OpenWRT.  My free time has dwindled to 0 over the last year and I'm at the point where I can no longer carve out enough time to properly support the build. 14.07 RC1 was released today and I had no idea it was coming.  I've not been able to keep up with the upstream sources and porting my work to the latest upstream will be a time investment that I cannot commit to at this juncture. The mirrors / sources / etc will remain online for the forseeable future but I cannot provide further development work on the build.  Hopefully others can use my work as a starting point for bigger and better things.

Thank you to everyone who posted, used the build and gave feedback.  This was by far the best project I've ever been involved with.

Wow, very sorry to hear that.

Hopefully OpenWRT will have made progress getting SMP working in the main build as it seems insane to ignore it considering most CPUs today are at LEAST dual-core and even the Atoms are now coming in quad-core varieties.

Alex Atkin UK wrote:

Wow, very sorry to hear that.

Thanks, hopefully things will settle down and I can do something again.

Alex Atkin UK wrote:

Hopefully OpenWRT will have made progress getting SMP working in the main build as it seems insane to ignore it considering most CPUs today are at LEAST dual-core and even the Atoms are now coming in quad-core varieties.

I am not sure.  I only found out about the release via one of my RSS feeds and haven't setup a virtual box VM for testing dual core and >2Gb RAM support. My plan is to migrate to the official release when I have a free day on the weekend.  Hopefully I'll have one before the September US holiday.

Well its not like your existing build is flawed in any way I can find.  Looking at other router OS they ALL seem to be well behind on software versions, preferring stability over the latest functionality.  So this is not exactly "the end" unless some major bug shows up.

SMP is fairly critical for me now though as I have added ip_conntrack reporting to my GUI and that alone can hang one of the cores due to the sheer number of connections, meaning the other core needs to be there to prevent it lagging the routing.

Alex Atkin UK wrote:

SMP is fairly critical for me now though as I have added ip_conntrack reporting to my GUI and that alone can hang one of the cores due to the sheer number of connections, meaning the other core needs to be there to prevent it lagging the routing.

I'll try to post back when I give the updated release a try with yay or ney on SMP support. Hopefully it won't be before too long.

mcrosson wrote:
Alex Atkin UK wrote:

I'll try to post back when I give the updated release a try with yay or ney on SMP support. Hopefully it won't be before too long.

Tried it earlier on mine as I wanted to update the BIOS anyway and it hard locked during boot.

I seem to recall this happened with your build once or twice before you patched something.

I have just made the first steps in creating (a crude) x86 image that can use more then 1 core(and/or hyperthreading) and can use more then the standard max of 800mb ram. i am willing to share this (its the basic BB config but with luci)

i can also share on how i came to build this..

Love to hear if there is an interrest.

(Last edited by yoyellow on 27 Oct 2014, 16:56)

Is there anyway to install openwrt only on one partition? I do not want to install it one a usb disk, just a partition of hard disk, but I only can left one partion for openwrt.

The discussion might have continued from here.