Topic: Routing two subnets between 2 routers (cable or wifi) didn't work.

Hi,

I try to setup two routers using the configuration as described in http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/routedclient#using.routing

It won't work. I can ping clients in subnet (192.168.1.0)  from router2 (192.168.2.0), but connecions to a printer port 9100 won't work.

While pinging a client in subnet2 from subnet1 I got a     Reply from 192.168.1.1: Destination port unreachable message?

I tried the configuration via wan port and via wifi wan port, but did'nt work.
Internet access is ok. 
Must be a trick? As I remeber that this was pretty easy using DD-WRT or M0n0Wall to connect two routers via a cable using two subnets.

THX

f41sixxs

Re: Routing two subnets between 2 routers (cable or wifi) didn't work.

Hello,
My problem: I followed instructions in wiki http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/routedclient#using.routing

The only difference, that I do not connect 2 routers with cable, but wifi.
I configured my TP-Link 1043 ND as client (Openwrt).
Current config:

provider --(cable)-- modem --(UTP cable)-- Asus WL 520 gC (original firmware) --(UTP cable)-- clients  (THIS IS SUBNET "A" 192.168.1.0/24)
                                                                  (wifi)  . . . some clients
                                                                Tp-Link 1043 ND (OpenWrt) as wifi client
                                                                     |
                                                               (UTP cable)
                                                                     |
                          printer - (USB cable) - D-Link 524 UP (original firmware) --(UTP cable) -- client (THIS IS SUBNET "B" 192.168.2.0/24)
                                                                   (wifi)
                                                                   other clients

Everything is OK.
Two subnet seeing each other, everybody can print via D-Link 524 UP in subnet B.

BUT
subnet B cannot go out to internet.
The reason is that  Asus WL 520 gC does not masquerade subnet B.
If I configure subnet "A" to 192.168.1.0/23 - so netmask is 255.255.254.0 (this includes subnet B as well - which is WRONG config I know),
subnet B can go out to internet, but subnet A cannot reach subnet B due to misconfiguration.

How can I tell Asus WL 520 gC to masquerade subnet B?
I can flash Asus WL 520 gC to DD-Wrt if it needed due to the fact this router has only 2MB flash.
Thanks,
Mark

3 (edited by vmark 2012-09-14 07:31:00)

It is very likely you forgot (or forgot to apply changes) to add fixed routing or client subnet's AP is not 192.168.1.30 smile .

From wiki:
After fixing the WAN address, a static route must be added to the Access Point with the following information:
    IP address: 192.168.2.1 (IP address of our LAN interface)
    Destination LAN NET (required in DD-WRT): 192.168.2.0 (our LAN interface subnet)
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0 (Netmask of our LAN interface)
    Gateway: 192.168.1.30 (IP address of our WAN interface)

I was able to manage my problem...
Added to wiki http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/rou … s.internet