OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TL-WR1043ND as client

The content of this topic has been archived on 5 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

hardware:
TL-WR1043ND running Backfire (r22689) - client
TL-WR1043ND running stock firmware - main router connected to the modem via pppoe.

what I wanna do:
Place the "client" in my room acting as a repeater and having my usb printer hooked up so it can be available wirelessly throughout the house.

what I was able to do:
Connect the "client" to "main" and making the "client" connect to the internet. I updated/installed the packages I want but I was only able to do that while I was wired to "client" and the weirdest thing is that while the "client" was connected to the internet and through ssh I could ping websites and everything, on my computer I had no connection. And if I took the cable out, I couldn't access its web interface.

how I did it:
http://cl.ly/2w1A2w0q28152x1E3w27
http://cl.ly/2D421x021b1n12361U1a

Does anyone have a clue on this? Do I need to give more information? How can I be sure that it's working if I can't see the "client network" since they have the same names? What did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance!

why channel is different?

nebbia88 wrote:

why channel is different?

No reason to be honest. Should they be the same?

update: put them on the same channel, still the same.

(Last edited by monkeyvsmonkey on 29 Mar 2012, 04:53)

Thats working - but without repeater mode(i tried it many times).
To get that working realy simple, just install actual trunk on main and client device. Then install luci.
You can then just simple setup WDS mode. The main device (192.168.1.1) run in WDS master and the client(192.168.1.2) in WDS client. I used that with exactly two of that devices.

To get repeater working, you have to make on the WDS client device an second virtual interface with same settings as master deivce - that never worked for me.

What you can of course do is connect a third device on the WDS client via cable and let it running with 192.168.1.3 and exactly same configuration as the first device.

Dont forget to disable DHCP on WDS client and when used then also on the third device.

Here i asked same thing: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=35687

(Last edited by Lubomir on 29 Mar 2012, 21:41)

Lubomir wrote:

Thats working - but without repeater mode(i tried it many times).
To get that working realy simple, just install actual trunk on main and client device. Then install luci.
You can then just simple setup WDS mode. The main device (192.168.1.1) run in WDS master and the client(192.168.1.2) in WDS client. I used that with exactly two of that devices.

To get repeater working, you have to make on the WDS client device an second virtual interface with same settings as master deivce - that never worked for me.

What you can of course do is connect a third device on the WDS client via cable and let it running with 192.168.1.3 and exactly same configuration as the first device.

Dont forget to disable DHCP on WDS client and when used then also on the third device.

Here i asked same thing: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=35687

Thanks for your reply but I'm afraid that installing OpenWRT on the main device is not an option right now. I was hoping I could make it work with this exact setup I have. Do you think it's possible?

I've read that only WDS properly handles mac addresses across the wireless bridge so you probably do want to use WDS.

The stock firmware supports WDS and it's likely it'll work having backfire configured as the WDS client and the stock firmware as WDS AP.

Give it a try.

monkeyvsmonkey wrote:

what I was able to do:
Connect the "client" to "main" and making the "client" connect to the internet. I updated/installed the packages I want but I was only able to do that while I was wired to "client" and the weirdest thing is that while the "client" was connected to the internet and through ssh I could ping websites and everything, on my computer I had no connection. And if I took the cable out, I couldn't access its web interface.

A little bit OT: Does this mean that you can connect one TL-WR1043ND ("client", with OpenWrt running) to another one ("main") over WLAN and connect Ethernet devices to the "client" which can then access the rest of the WLAN? I'm asking because I have some devices (TV, BD-Player) which only have Ethernet ports and I don't want to install cables in the complete building. I already asked TP-Link if the TL-WR1043ND supports the Client Mode but they negated that.

Thanks,

Simon

I tested today and WDS between TP-Link stock firmware and OpenWRT works.

The main WR1043ND router was stock firmware and the other WR1043ND was backfire 10.03.1-final and also the latest trunk.

[s]It seems ath9k does not support Client (WDS) yet.[/s] I had to configure OpenWRT as Access Point (WDS) for it to work.

EDIT: Client (WDS) didn't work because the TP-Link stock firmware setup is the client!

With trunk I was able to use WPA2/AES but with backfire 10.03.1-final only WPA/AES worked but it should be fine either way.

I configured the main router as 192.168.1.254 and left OpenWRT as 192.168.1.1.

Stock firmware:

Firmware Version: 3.11.5 Build 100427 Rel.61427n
Hardware Version: WR1043N v1 00000000

LAN
MAC Address: 11-22-33-44-55-66
IP Address: 192.168.1.254
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Wireless
Wireless Radio: Enable
Name (SSID): wdstest
Channel: 13
Mode: 11bgn mixed
Channel Width: 20MHz
Max Tx Rate: 130Mbps
MAC Address: 11-22-33-44-55-66
WDS Status: Run

The WDS Status: Run shows it is WDS connected and working.

Wireless Settings:

SSID: wdstest   
Region: United Kingdom
Channel: 13
Mode: 11bgn mixed
Channel Width: 20MHz
Max Tx Rate: 130Mbps

[x] Enable Wireless Router Radio
[x] Enable SSID Broadcast
[x] Enable WDS

SSID(to be bridged): wdstest
BSSID(to be bridged): 99-88-77-66-55-44

Key type: WPA-PSK/WPA-PSK
Password: password

Change the BSSID(to be bridged) to the OpenWRT wireless BSSID.

Wireless Security:

[o] WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
Version: WPA2-PSK
Encryption: AES
PSK Password: password

OpenWRT running trunk r30919:

/etc/config/network lan settings:

config interface 'lan'
option ifname 'eth0.1'
option type 'bridge'
option proto 'static'
option netmask '255.255.255.0'
option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
option gateway '192.168.1.254'
option dns '192.168.1.254'

Also disable the DHCP server, firewall and dnsmasq.

/etc/config/wireless:

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option macaddr '99:88:77:66:55:44'
        list ht_capab 'SHORT-GI-40'
        list ht_capab 'DSSS_CCK-40'
        option country 'GB'
        option txpower '20'
        option channel '13'

config wifi-iface
        option device 'radio0'
        option network 'lan'
        option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
        option wds '1'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid 'wdstest'
        option key 'password'

(Last edited by j8soot on 2 Apr 2012, 10:57)

SimonSt wrote:
monkeyvsmonkey wrote:

what I was able to do:

A little bit OT: Does this mean that you can connect one TL-WR1043ND ("client", with OpenWrt running) to another one ("main") over WLAN and connect Ethernet devices to the "client" which can then access the rest of the WLAN? I'm asking because I have some devices (TV, BD-Player) which only have Ethernet ports and I don't want to install cables in the complete building. I already asked TP-Link if the TL-WR1043ND supports the Client Mode but they negated that.

Thanks,

Simon

Yes, I do this currently with non-OpenWRT routers but will be switching to routers using OpenWRT soon. It is best to do it using WDS as I have described in previous post otherwise there can be mac address and broadcast problems.

(Last edited by j8soot on 30 Mar 2012, 15:16)

j8soot wrote:

The main WR1043ND router was stock firmware and the other WR1043ND was backfire 10.03.1-final and also the latest trunk.

It seems ath9k does not support Client (WDS) yet. I had to configure OpenWRT as Access Point (WDS) for it to work.

With trunk I was able to use WPA2/AES but with backfire 10.03.1-final only WPA/AES worked but it should be fine either way.

I will give this a try but I'm not sure I will be able to use the OpenWRT as the main router. Since my connection is over PPPOE and I was having trouble setting it up. I had all packages installed and everything. But that's an issue for another topic. Later this afternoon I'm give this a shot.

Thank you so much for the details on your setup.

SimonSt wrote:
monkeyvsmonkey wrote:

what I was able to do:

Thanks,

Simon

Unfortunately no. When I plug the cables on my "client" I can only access OpenWRT's web interface and nothing else. But I will try what j8soot said and switch the routers.

monkeyvsmonkey wrote:
j8soot wrote:

It seems ath9k does not support Client (WDS) yet. I had to configure OpenWRT as Access Point (WDS) for it to work.

I will give this a try but I'm not sure I will be able to use the OpenWRT as the main router. Since my connection is over PPPOE and I was having trouble setting it up. I had all packages installed and everything. But that's an issue for another topic. Later this afternoon I'm give this a shot.

Wait you misunderstand. You do not have to switch your routers around.

I tested the same as your network setup with the main router running the TP-Link stock firmware and the client router running OpenWRT.

j8soot wrote:
monkeyvsmonkey wrote:
j8soot wrote:

Wait you misunderstand. You do not have to switch your routers around.

I tested the same as your network setup with the main router running the TP-Link stock firmware and the client router running OpenWRT.

Oh really? That's awesome then. Will try this over lunch.

Thanks!

I see where it is unclear. The Access Point (WDS) and Client (WDS) don't mean main router and client router it only describes what the router provides. So Client (WDS) = WDS bridge but only for wired devices and Access Point (WDS) = WDS bridge for wired devices and wireless devices.

j8soot wrote:

I see where it is unclear. The Access Point (WDS) and Client (WDS) don't mean main router and client router it only describes what the router provides. So Client (WDS) = WDS bridge but only for wired devices and Access Point (WDS) = WDS bridge for wired devices and wireless devices.

I tried enabling WDS on stock and doing the same thing you did but if I'm not mistaken, doing that will tell stock to connect to openwrt and look for a connection doesn't it? Cause when I did that, I had no connection at all. But then again, I didn't do the rest of the config you did, so that might be it. Anyway, I will try and comeback to let you guys know.

Thanks again

main router + main LAN devices + main wireless devices <-> WDS bridge <-> client router + client LAN devices  + client wireless devices

The main router is the WR1043ND running TP-Link stock firmware and it handles everything (DHCP, NAT, firewall, PPPOE to WAN, etc). The client router is the WR1043ND running OpenWRT and it is effectively working as a wireless switch meaning it simply allows it's connected devices (LAN and wireless) to communicate with the main router and it's connected devices (WAN, LAN and wireless).

j8soot wrote:

main router + main LAN devices + main wireless devices <-> WDS bridge <-> client router + client LAN devices  + client wireless devices

The main router is the WR1043ND running TP-Link stock firmware and it handles everything (DHCP, NAT, firewall, PPPOE to WAN, etc). The client router is the WR1043ND running OpenWRT and it is effectively working as a wireless switch meaning it simply allows it's connected devices (LAN and wireless) to communicate with the main router and it's connected devices (WAN, LAN and wireless).

MAN! IT WORKED! IT FUCKING WORKED!!!

Thank you so much! I will never forget that! Thank you!!!!

The discussion might have continued from here.