OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Which image file for WBMR-HP-G300H.

The content of this topic has been archived on 4 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I was looking to install open-wrt onto a newly purchased Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H.

I've read the few threads on this forum which mention this router but I have been unable to establish which image file I should use.

The different version seem to boil down to..

openwrt-lantiq-danube-<1>-<2>.image

or

openwrt-lantiq-danube-<2>.rootfs

or

openwrt-lantiq-danube-<1>.uImage

where <1> is one of ...

ARV3527
ARV4510PW
ARV4518PW
ARV4520PW
ARV4525PW
ARV452CPW
ARV7518PW
ARV752DPW
ARV752DPW22
EASY4010
EASY50712
EASY50812
GIGASX76X
NONE
(blank)

and <2> is one of

jffs2-128k
jffs2-256k
jffs2-64k
squashfs

I suspect that <1> represents a hardware version but I'm not sure which one is used by this router. If I look at the hardware page it says it's a Atheros AR922X which isn't listed. Am I to assume then that I should use the "NONE" version or should I use the .rootfs version.

Can anyone shed any light on what these different image files represent and/or more importantly for me, which one I should be using.

Thx
M.

(Last edited by scaryAardvark on 26 Mar 2012, 15:48)

There is no build yet.

You have to compile it yourself from trunk.

Hi

I've downloaded and installed the buildroot stuff (http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/buildroot.exigence) and I'm running menuconfig.

Could you let me know what "Target System" I need to choses. Looking ath the hardware (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wbmr-hp-g300h) section for my router I see that it's a MIPS cpu with an Atheros AR922X SoC and a Atheros AR9280 wireless chipset.

I'm assuming it's a
Target System :  "Lantiq GPON/XWAY" target system.
SubTarget: "AR9"

I've ran make and got the following error

install -m0755 /home/mark/openwrt/trunk/build_dir/linux-lantiq_ar9/bridge-utils-1.5/brctl/brctl /home/mark/openwrt/trunk/build_dir/linux-lantiq_ar9/bridge-utils-1.5/ipkg-lantiq/bridge/usr/sbin
install: cannot stat `/home/mark/openwrt/trunk/build_dir/linux-lantiq_ar9/bridge-utils-1.5/brctl/brctl': No such file or directory

Any ideas?

Hello, have you made all of these steps?

svn co svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/trunk/
cd trunk

./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a
make package/symlinks
make defconfig
make prereq
make menuconfig

(Last edited by darkwin on 31 Mar 2012, 19:36)

Yep, diid all those things.

install -m0644 ./files/55_determine_extroot_sysupgrade /home/mark/openwrt/trunk/staging_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33/root-lantiq/tmp-block-mount/lib/preinit/
install -m0644 ./files/60_pivot_usb_root /home/mark/openwrt/trunk/staging_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33/root-lantiq/tmp-block-mount/lib/preinit/
echo "extroot_settle_time=\"20\"" >/home/mark/openwrt/trunk/staging_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33/root-lantiq/tmp-block-mount/lib/preinit/00_extroot.conf
install -d -m0755 /home/mark/openwrt/trunk/staging_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33/root-lantiq/tmp-block-mount/overlay
SHELL= /home/mark/openwrt/trunk/staging_dir/host/bin/flock /home/mark/openwrt/trunk/tmp/.root-copy.flock -c 'cp -fpR /home/mark/openwrt/trunk/staging_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33/root-lantiq/tmp-block-mount/. /home/mark/openwrt/trunk/staging_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33/root-lantiq/'
rm -rf /home/mark/openwrt/trunk/staging_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33/root-lantiq/tmp-block-mount
touch /home/mark/openwrt/trunk/staging_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33/root-lantiq/stamp/.block-mount_installed
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/mark/openwrt/trunk/package/block-mount'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/mark/openwrt/trunk/package/bridge-utils'
mkdir -p /home/mark/openwrt/trunk/bin/lantiq/packages /home/mark/openwrt/trunk/build_dir/linux-lantiq_ar9/bridge-utils-1.5/ipkg-lantiq/bridge/CONTROL
install -d -m0755 /home/mark/openwrt/trunk/build_dir/linux-lantiq_ar9/bridge-utils-1.5/ipkg-lantiq/bridge/usr/sbin
install -m0755 /home/mark/openwrt/trunk/build_dir/linux-lantiq_ar9/bridge-utils-1.5/brctl/brctl /home/mark/openwrt/trunk/build_dir/linux-lantiq_ar9/bridge-utils-1.5/ipkg-lantiq/bridge/usr/sbin
install: cannot stat `/home/mark/openwrt/trunk/build_dir/linux-lantiq_ar9/bridge-utils-1.5/brctl/brctl': No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [/home/mark/openwrt/trunk/bin/lantiq/packages/bridge_1.5-1_lantiq.ipk] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/mark/openwrt/trunk/package/bridge-utils'
make[2]: *** [package/bridge-utils/compile] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mark/openwrt/trunk'
make[1]: *** [/home/mark/openwrt/trunk/staging_dir/target-mips_r2_uClibc-0.9.33/stamp/.package_compile] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mark/openwrt/trunk'
make: *** [world] Error 2

M.

1. Check out the code:   svn co svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/trunk trunk
2. cd trunk
3. Update the feeds: ./scripts/feeds update
4. Install the feeds: ./scripts/feeds install
4b. make package/symlinks
5. Configure:  make menuconfig
  - Target System:  Lantiq GPON/XWAY
  - Subtarget:  AR9
  - Target Profile:  WBMR - Buffalo WMBR-HP-G300H
  - Target Images: I use squashfs, I haven't tested jffs2
  - You might want to enable luci (Luci/Collections/Luci)
  - Enable wireless:  Kernel Modules/Wireless Drivers/kmod-ath9k
  - Enable hostapd: Network/hostapd and Network/hostapd-utils
6. Save the config
7. make

I successfully compiled the firmware with these steps(archlinux on virtualbox).

I have uploaded a squashfs (dated 20/03/2012) --> http://netkups.com/?d=cc806428f8c7a

*USE AT YOUR OWN RISK* I didn't test it.

(Last edited by peps1iko on 1 Apr 2012, 19:10)

Hi guys,
really appreciate the help.

I did follow the steps from the wiki although but will start again just to make sure I didn't accidentally turn on or off something that I needed in menuconfig.

smile

smile smile smile smile

Ok. I managed to get it all built after starting again.

I now have

[mark@vaio lantiq]$ pwd
/home/mark/openwrt/trunk/bin/lantiq
[mark@vaio lantiq]$ ls -lrtI
total 4012
-rw-r--r-- 1 mark users  949498 Apr  1 21:15 openwrt-lantiq-ar9-WBMR-uImage
-rw-r--r-- 1 mark users 3145732 Apr  1 21:15 openwrt-lantiq-ar9-WBMR-squashfs.image
-rw-r--r-- 1 mark users     138 Apr  1 21:15 md5sums
drwxr-xr-x 2 mark users    4096 Apr  1 21:15 packages

I now need to know how to get these onto my router. Do I simply use the firmware update option on my router?

I couldn't seem to find in the docs how I do this.

Thx

copy the squashfs in /tmp and use this command

(you need dd-wrt)

mtd -r write openwrt-lantiq-ar9-WBMR-squashfs.image linux

wait 15 min(15 min for real) and you can reboot the router.

I hope you have the serial console in case of a brick.

(Last edited by peps1iko on 2 Apr 2012, 08:03)

he doesn´t need reboot the router. the -r option make automatic reboot after flash.

Thanks again guys. I really appreciate the quick responses.

Yes, I have dd-wrt on my WBMR and am very dissapointed with it's wireless capabilities hence moving to openwrt.

I'm away on business untill the weekend but will be trying this ASAP.

I don't have a serial cable (yet) but will deal with that if it gets bricked. What are the chances, anyway...  >50% ?

M.

(Last edited by scaryAardvark on 2 Apr 2012, 10:32)

Any news?

Hi peks1iko, yes, I managed to get my router working with rhlee's help. However, I was a muppet and managed to brick it by installing the wrong image file so now it's sitting in bits awaiting me hooking up a serial cable in the vain hope that I haven't knackered the bootloader and I'll be able to recover it.

failing that I'll probably be buting another one .... but just looking at the prices it's shot up by £10 since I bought mine sad

M.

Nice!

Right now I'm in Tokyo and I can't try it myself. Also, I am waiting for a new unit because my old one had a problem with the official firmware and it went in RMA. smile

Hope one day you can help me! big_smile

Dear all!
Help me to flash my WBMR-HP-G300H with DD-WRT firmware please. I've tried all the versions from dd-wrt site named buffalo_to_dd-wrt*. Every time during the flashing I got a warning message "Wrong Image" and the router rebooted into standard firmware. I've tried several times with stock firmware and after upgrading the firmware to version 1.78. Any ideas why it is happening and how to flash this device?

Up

He Guys! Good News.

I debricked my router without JTAG or Serial or something.

My Symtoms: After power on the router, Power led was orange for about 5 seconds. Then nothing. No Pings no wlan, nothing.
After a wireshark session and a little trial&error i found following solution:

In the boot loader is a tftp client which requests a firmware.ram.

Following steps:

1. Build openwrt with ram image option. I just followed the guide.
2. Set your local interface on ip 192.168.11.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 router 192.168.11.1
3. setup a tftp-server. I used TftpServer Version 3.4.1 under osx mountain lion.
4. rename the openwork-lantig-ar9-WBMR-uImage to firmware.ram
5. start the tftp-server
6. connect your pc to one lan port on the router.
7. Power on the router + PUSH THE AOSS Button. If you dont push the button, there will be no tftp request.
8. Now the Powerled should light up red + the AOSS led should light up.
9. After a little while, change your local lan interface to automatic and you should get a ip-address from the dhcp server.
10. Do a normal sysupgrade with a good image.
11. Wait and prey.

If you have running wireshark in the background, you will see if the tftp-transfer of the ram-image is successful.

Please confirm if it is working. And maybe we should then write in the wiki about the uboot-tftp-client.

have a nice debricking.

Hi, Rossini! Really good news! Will this method help to flash Openwirt over factory firmware?

Hi Mishunja!
I  really don't know. I cant test it as there is no known way to me to go back to original firmware.
Better ask in ddwrt Forum why you cannot flash ddwrt on your device.
But you can try if you are able to boot the RAM Image.

The discussion might have continued from here.