OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: wrong machine type

The content of this topic has been archived on 31 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have an ALFA Hornet UB (http://www.alfa.com.tw/in/front/bin/ptd … ory=107225), and I'm trying to get OpenWRT on there. I selected the AR7XXX/AR9XXX target system, then picked the "ALFA Network Hornet-UB board". I transferred a uImage to the board using the u-boot that it shipped with to do tftp, and I booted to the transferred image, and I get "MIPS: machine is Generic AR71XX/AR724X/AR913X based board" in the boot messages I think I'm supposed to see "ALFA NETWORKS Hornet-UB" (from the MIPS_MACHINE macro in mach-hornet-ub.c).

I'm more familiar with ARM; I know that with those, there is a machine type that is passed from the boot loader to linux in a tag list. A wrong machine type would cause this on an ARM system. Is there something similar for MIPS? If not, what might be causing the above problem?

I found that I can fix this by passing a kernel command line argument: board=HORNET-UB

In case anyone else has one of these boards, you also have to add "console=ttyATH0 115200" to the kernel command line.

Hello everyone,
sorry for the thread gravedigging but i thought it would have been better to post in an existing thread instead of opening a new one.

I was thinking about getting this board (or router with this board) as it looks like pretty cheap  (in price) but feature rich.

Still i'm really a newbie when it comes to router flashing, and openWRT in general, i browsed the documentation page, the sources repository and the specific device page, but couldn't find anything that would help me out in understanding how to flash this device.

Do i need a serial cable to flash this board? or i can access the U-Boot in another way?

can anyone kindly point me to an exaustive documentation on how to deal with this board + openWRT?

also if anyone know (hope this is not against the forum rules, eventually feel free to contact me via PM), i'm looking for a place to order this board (or preassembled router) from EU, i've found it on an USA shop, but buying from here, the shpping costs + taxes would cause the price to double.

thanks in advice.

The discussion might have continued from here.