OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: package precedence

The content of this topic has been archived on 3 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

we are patching an application (let's say "foo" already on the openwrt package feed) with custom stuff (in fact, we reuse the existing one). We are maintaining this application on our own feed. We update and install both feeds (openwrt and our custom feed). Now we have the same package "foo" from two different feeds (scripts/feeds search foo shows two results).

Situation: the package being compiled/installed is the one from the openwrt feed (even if I put our own custom feed before the openwrt feed in feeds.conf).

The question is: is there a way to force our package to be selected instead of the one from the openwrt feed? How is the openwrt best practice in these cases?

Thanks!

(Last edited by setack on 27 Feb 2012, 15:45)

No way to specify a preference - the best practise is uninstalling the other feed's package.

thanks jow, any interest in such feature? We could take a look at how to implement that, have you heard of other devs requesting something similar?

I tried looking at the code to understand how it does things but I'm not much of a perl guy :S

So, after doing:
scripts/feeds update -a
scripts/feeds install -a (so both packages get installed).

I don't see an option to uninstall a package from a specific feed. So, according to your suggestion I should:

scripts/feeds uninstall foo (without knowing which one is being installed)
scripts/feeds install -p custom_feed foo (just in case the previous uninstall was from my custom feed and make sure is the one to be compiled).

is that right?

The discussion might have continued from here.