OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: ddwrt to openwrt conversion question

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have ddwrt installed on a dir-825 and would like to switch this to an openwrt build. There is no sysupgrade on the ddwrt install and the mtd devices on the ddwrt install are not the same as openwrt so I'm not sure how to write the flash with the openwrt build.

The ddwrt build mtd devices are :
mtd0: 00050000 "RedBoot"
mtd1: 007b0000 "linux"
mtd2: 0051c000 "rootfs"
mtd3: 00170000 "ddwrt"
mtd4: 00010000 "nvram"
mtd5: 00010000 "FIS directory"
mtd6: 00010000 "board_config"
mtd7: 00800000 "fullflash"

I've made a backup copy of the mtd device files in case I mess this up.

Can anyone give some ideas on how I can do this conversion?

one can not sysupgrade dd-wrt to openwrt
restore with stock firmware, then use the dir-825's factory.img to install.

mtd -r write openwrt-ar71xx-dir-825-b1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin linux

or use the "firmware recovery mode".

New to OpenWRT coming from dd-wrt as well on a DIR-825 B1 that I have been having some issues with.

Anyway, as technically oriented as I am (thought I was) I can't quite figure out:

1. Which firmware download to choose from this page for my DIR-825 B1
http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8.09.2/ar71xx/

After I know that, I believe I can use the Firmware recovery mode option to install OpenWRT on my router EVEN THOUGH I have dd-wrt already installed? If not, do I need to revert to the stock D-Link firmware first like it was mentioned above and then flash Open-WRT? I would prefer to use a browser to do this. I am running Windows 7 64-bit and I do have IE 9 (Also have access to Windows Vista and other browsers if that would be better).

Any other major concerns I should be aware of that might be dramatically different from installing DD-WRT?

Thanks.

(Last edited by b00ky on 28 Feb 2012, 14:30)

be50 -- Is there a reason not to use Backfire?

http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/10.03.1/ar71xx/

If you're planning to restore to the factory firmware first (as recommended by housesmaster) use the -factory.img.  I believe the SquashFS builds are currently preferred.

@arduus and anyone else interested...

I know my questions was a little less involved that be50's but I am curious what Backfire is. Is it a beta version of an upcoming release? What advantages would it have on a DIR-825 B1 over the kamikaze trunk?

I want to install OpenWRT in the cleanest, most preferred method. What is the difference between the SquashFS buids and the alternative (which is???) ???

Why don't you read History of OpenWrt

Yes, the page could use some grooming.
Yes, we could link to it from a more central place.

Yes, you could have used the search.

@Orca

Yes, you could have just suggested the link and realized I did search the forums to some extent to find this post. Because it is so obvious to look into "The History" of OpenWRT to find that answer.
Yes, I forgive you.
Thank you for the link.

(Last edited by b00ky on 28 Feb 2012, 15:58)

The discussion might have continued from here.