OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: wr1043nd DD-WRT to Factory To OpenWrt = brick

The content of this topic has been archived on 22 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I have  an DDwrt installed on my router. Flash it back to original,and after Latest OpenWrt flash.

When the process is ended, the router rebooted, and after no communication. The web interface, the telnet..doesnt work.

When i set my pc ip adress to 192.168.1.2 and boot in failsafe mode. Than it is  possible to login to telnet.

But what next? How to get web interface, or working ssh ?

I don't understand the whole thing.

Please help me!

Thank You!

Thank You.

But i still dont know, what i could do.

Reset button for 5 seconds while switching it on. Then telnet. If not - poweroff and reset button 10 seconds while powering on.
Or maybe you do not know the basics of networking and didn't use static IP for PC?

if u can telnet in safe mode try this command
        mtd -r erase rootfs_data
credits (http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.failsafe)

if after reboot it doesnt work u have 2 make ftp server on your pc and transfer the firmware image on the router

wget (url firmware.bin) /tmp
       mtd -r write /tmp/firmware.bin firmware

credits(was in 1043 help... now its is no more)

if those dont work prepare urself 2 open the box and make a serial connection
edit:https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=29507

(Last edited by makarel on 18 Feb 2012, 18:54)

Im new too here. I was very facinated to the dd-wrt firmware, but first flash did not went well. Thanks for the help to get into failsafe mode.

My router is wr1043nd v 1.8 - tried via webgui to flash openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr1043nd-v1-squashfs-factory - but it did not work. Can't get into the firmware via browser.

-------
if after reboot it doesnt work u have 2 make ftp server on your pc and transfer the firmware image on the router

wget (url firmware.bin) /tmp
       mtd -r write /tmp/firmware.bin firmware

How to I do this? rename firmware and make ftp and.....?

if those dont work prepare urself 2 open the box and make a serial connection

Can I use this cable?

http://us.aliexpress.com/snapshot/10515 … rect=false

Hi, I'm new here too wink

I think -generic- means no web interface, you need to follow instructions about telent login and then install luci, some commands like:
>opkg update
>opkg install luci

@trelleboy
.. yea it might that ur firmware doesnt have luci(the web gui) installed
so youll have 2 telnet 2 it; u can use putty(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html)

Thanks so fast I will try to make the GUI with Putty - what a name :-)
Did this but putty could not make the job. Used hyper terminal win xp. Maybe its not good.
alot happend and got installed!

But I still can't come into the firmware.

Anything I can do now? Thansk for helping anyway. Im willing to open the router and use jtag  - my wife will kill me :-)

Anyway the wireless net on the router is not working - only lan and wan! Is this bad?

Cheers

(Last edited by trelleboy on 18 Feb 2012, 23:30)

makarel wrote:

@trelleboy
.. yea it might that ur firmware doesnt have luci(the web gui) installed
so youll have 2 telnet 2 it; u can use putty(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html)

I really need some help here. I don't know how i get on form here. Telnet hyperteminal works - putty is nutty...
I can get into failsafe.

Cant make a ftp. My old router will not make me do that. 

can i use this url wget  ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSl … -wr1043nd/   /tmp?

I really dont know whats wrong. I got the putty to work! I tried to make password. But it told me to short or other thing I can't remember now.
BUT NOW I CANT DO ANYTHING!
I CAN'T login to failsafe. Have turned it off 30/30/30 and shut down and prayed to god! NOTHING helps. This dd-wrt is not fun at the moment.

Can anyone help from here?

(Last edited by trelleboy on 19 Feb 2012, 15:58)

Power up your router. When the 'SYS' light starts to blink, press and hold the QSS button in the front-right until the blinking gets faster.

Now I can login again...to putty! Im so happy - but.... what can i do

root@(none):/# passwd
Changing password for root
New password:
Bad password: too weak
Retype password:
passwd: /etc/passwd: Read-only file system
passwd: can't update password file /etc/passwd
root@(none):/#
root@(none):/#

What is a read only file system?

(Last edited by trelleboy on 19 Feb 2012, 17:16)

A read only file system is a file system that is read only wink
Run "mount_root" to make it writeable.

i will be back soon :-)

I want webgui to work

opkg update - works

(Last edited by trelleboy on 19 Feb 2012, 20:05)

If all that stuff is over your head why don't you simply install a release and be done with it?
If you fiddle with trunk snapshots you're expected to know your way around. If its too much effort for you then stay with the vendor firmware.

It is annoying to answer the same questions over and over again just to see the same old bitching in the end.

jow wrote:

If all that stuff is over your head why don't you simply install a release and be done with it?
If you fiddle with trunk snapshots you're expected to know your way around. If its too much effort for you then stay with the vendor firmware.

It is annoying to answer the same questions over and over again just to see the same old bitching in the end.

Now its working - and i have been a bitch - im sorry for that. But the wireless is not working yet :-)
If you wanna help me with how to get wireless are you welcome.

Thanks all to for all the help I got here...The one mistake is was luci I wrote luci-ssl....

jow wrote:

There is a simple solution for this. You could edit wiki and remove from install how-to this advice: "Quickest way is to download a precompiled latest trunk image".

That would imply that people actually read the texts wink

I was very facinated to the dd-wrt firmware, but first flash did not went well. Thanks for the help to get into failsafe manner.
paintball guns for sale

You covered some good points here, I think a meaningful response is very important for comments.

The discussion might have continued from here.