OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Small Router with USB (no Ethernet required)

The content of this topic has been archived on 8 Jun 2015. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

hey!

my plan is to configure a mesh grid with batman that connects openwrt systems with usb sound.

the single purpose of the mesh is to allow old school voice communication between the nodes.

at a later time i want to integrate the router (that is running the whole thing) into a dial plate phone. therefore it has to be small.

which router with less than 10x10cm size is best supported by openwrt?

the only really small device i have found is the TL-WR703N.. but status is TRUNK - what exactly does that mean?

i'm keen to read your opinions,
mgl

btw: forum search has problems:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 262144 bytes) in /var/www/openwrt/forum/search.php on line 243

>the only really small device i have found is the TL-WR703N.. but status is TRUNK - what exactly does that mean?

The WR703N is working fine with current downloads from trunk (most up-to-date, but stability not guaranteed--nothing to worry about in most cases).  Also working fine with builds which you compile yourself--also from the most current openwrt-accepted sources unless you specify otherwise.

Don't know anything about mesh.

thanks for the information, i'm 90% sure that TL-WR703N is what i want.

if no one else pops up and tells me there is a device that works better and is also small.

mgl86 wrote:

at a later time i want to integrate the router (that is running the whole thing) into a dial plate phone. therefore it has to be small.

which router with less than 10x10cm size is best supported by openwrt?

Better place good signal strength in the first place.

Take a look at Ubiquiti/Nanostation series.

Thats a good point, I guess those TL-WR703N will perform badly when it comes to signal strength.

But ubiquity boxes don't provide usb, which i would need to have sound...

@fyi: thank you again for the hint. i think i'm gonna start with a wr703n and add an antenna. the price is too good, i mean i want to build a couple of phones.

the TP-MR3020 is pretty small aswell, and its more or less the same as TP-WR703n.

Just wondering if you ever got this working it sounds like an interesting idea

(Last edited by Glen.A on 17 Jul 2012, 00:34)

The discussion might have continued from here.