OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Help choosing a small router board

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi guys,
I'd like to buy some new access point / router boards for testing network configurations by putting OpenWRT on them. Basically I need a board which is:
* Cheap.
* 1 or 2 ethernet ports.
* One wifi interface.
* OpenWRT supported (CPU supported, enough memory as flash and RAM).
* (optional) Equipped with extra GPIOs to connect MMC, USB keys etc.

Have you got any idea? I've been searching the net for days but actually I didn't found anything interesting, apart fully equipped AP (with case and antenna included, when I need only the "raw" board).

Thank you a lot.

Francesco.

An inexpensive PogoPlug Pro comes with only 1 1000/100/10Mbps RJ-45 port with WiFI, several USB2 ports, and plenty of RAM / NAND storage. Coupled with a USB/RJ45 dongle, this device can be converted into a WiFi router.

Other option is an inexpensive Raspberry Pi.

I am very much looking forward to the Raspberry Pi, but I wish its name wasn't that. Fon or a Meraki Mini are also good, but maybe hard to find at this point. I and very happy with my Merakis since they have 8 GPIOs that are unused and on regularly spaced pins.

Tp-link Tl-wr740n
Tp-link Tl-wr741nd

I have some PC Engines WRAP.2E boards for sale. They come with an aluminum case but it can be removed. It has 1 serial, 1 ethernet, 1 a/b/g wifi card installed (a slot for another is present) and a 128mb CF card for flash storage. I have many of them if you are interested. OpenWRT Kamikaze is already installed with all drivers and it is working as an access point when shipped. CPU is 233mhz amd geode, with 64MB of ram. all drivers needed are avaliable and installed on the system. The LEDs are fully configurable as well.

(Last edited by stampede_dude on 9 Feb 2012, 17:38)

Hi,

You can have a look at MiniEMBWiFi (1x WiFi, 1x USB2, 8MB flash, 32MB RAM, 1x serial, OpenWrt preinstalled with LuCI, ....).

It's a small 67mm x 50mm PCB, CE/FCC certified with long term availability, IO expander available for versatile connectivity to other devices and sensors. Ideal for embedded controller applications.

Rade

Ok thank you all guys! I watched every product you posted, in particular tp-links which are cost-effective. Other solutions are still valid, Raspberry is much interesting project but I haven't found where to but it.
Do someone knows? Thank all of you again for your interest.

Have you considered Mikrotik? They are capable of all this and more, and at a low price point, plus they are POE ready out of the box.

The popular RB711 is now available also in 2.4GHz! It has the same features and specifications as the RB711-5Hn, but it is 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n instead. RB711 is a small CPE type RouterBOARD wireless router with an integrated wireless card capable of up to 27dBm transmit power output. It has uilt in 16kV ESD protection on RF port. The perfect device for CPE builders! RB711 includes RouterOS - the operating system, which can be a router, firewall, bandwidth manager, a CPE and more - all at the same time.

Built-in 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n wireless card
Atheros AR7240 400MHz network processor
32MB DDR SDRAM
1 LAN
RouterOS Level 3 (No wireless AP support)
Power Options: PoE: 10-28V DC, No power jack
Dimensions: 4.13 x 4.13in (10.5 x 10.5cm)
RB711-2Hn

http://www.wlanparts.com/product/RB711- … -MMCX.html

(Last edited by fixnichols2 on 17 Feb 2012, 05:30)

GPIOs? I know the routerstation Pro has many easy GPIOs, but many devices do not. And having to scrape around the board for them is not easy and makes for a messy implementation. Raspberry Pi has a lot of good GPIOs too.

ipersite wrote:

Other solutions are still valid, Raspberry is much interesting project but I haven't found where to but it.
Do someone knows?

Raspberry Pi is not available yet. It's being developed by a charity based in the UK (sponsored by Broadcom or a few of their employees) with some good aims but there will be a few pitfalls.

It's a development board only and is not CE/FCC certified - so probably only good for tinkering at home or prototyping. Raspberry Pi will not have integrated WiFi unlike the other boards mentioned in this topic.

The first 10000 units are apparently being manufactured and should be released in the next n days/n months. Due to its low price the supply will likely be oversubscribed and it is a question how deliveries will be handled or any future production.

R.

Search for TP-LInk Pocket Routers. smile

The discussion might have continued from here.