OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Another tl-mr3420 bricked!

The content of this topic has been archived on 1 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi, i've bought a tl-mr3420 few months ago, last week i decided to install openwrt on the advice of a friend, but something went wrong!
I've followed the procedure described there (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-mr3420), i've made a OEM easy installation. After the router reboot, i saw an interface (Luci), i logged in and i've changed the default password with another one. Then i've tryed to change the wan settings (such as gateway, ip address, dns...) but after pressing "Save and apply" the router did not answer anyway, or rather the page did not reload. Now, when i turn on my router the SYS led starts blinking for 30 seconds, then stops and stays on: the router does not seems to be reacheable from the PC (telnet, ping, ssh). Can anyone help me?
Sorry for my bad english big_smile

(Last edited by apeiron on 29 Jan 2012, 12:33)

I have the MR-3220 and this happens to me all the time I try to activate WiFi. My way to talk to the Router again:
1. Try to start him in failsafe-mode. You'll find a description in the wiki, but for short: power off and when you give him power back you press the reset key like a machine-gun until booting has finished. Then the system link blinks rapidly and you can reach the router under 192.168.1.1 via ethernet and telnet.
2. When I managed to log in via telnet I run the command "firstboot". This resets all the configuration files and I can start (after "reboot -f") from the beginning.
Hth,
-mud-

Mudhenn wrote:

[...]power off and when you give him power back you press the reset key like a machine-gun until booting has finished. Then the system link blinks rapidly and you can reach the router under 192.168.1.1 via ethernet and telnet.[...]

Nothing to do, the router seems not to respond.

Generic failsafe works fine, keep toggling reset or any other button (if present) at a 1Hz rate while the unit is booting up, eventually the device becomes pingable at 192.168.1.1 and you can telnet in.
For this to work you must give your PC a static ip 192.168.1.2 with netmask 255.255.255.0

I plugged the ethernet cable into the wan port and i can ping the router, but no telnet or ssh works!

Then it did not enter failsafe, keep trying. It is important that you press/release the button at a 1 per second rate, do not keep it pressed, do not try stupid 30/30/30 patterns.
Also attach to the lan port, in failsafe the current configuration is completely ignored.

On the wan port i can ping successfully, but the other lan ports don't work. I've made the failsafe in the way you explained me, second per second but it doesn't work. How can i recognize when the booting up phase starts?

After I reconnct the power-plug to the device I think I have triggered the Reset-Button for not more than 20-30 seconds with app. 5hz and after that it alwas was connectable @ 192.168.1.1 via the first "normal" Ethernet-port, not the wan-port.

There is no failsafe for TL-MR3420 before r29661.
Also most TP-LINK routers lack failsafe due to eth0 not accessible from any LAN ports #8970, there used to be a patch to bring up eth1 instead [s]#6922[/s] accessible from WAN port.

The CA-42 3.3 V serial to USB adapter is the only failsafe on any hardware: Recent reports for TL-MR3220 v1.2 notes a "friendly" serial header, that is Plug'n'play, no pull-up resistor anymore.

Sorry, I forgot that he uses the 3240. I own the 3220 v1.2. with R29844, there the above described failsafe works.

The discussion might have continued from here.