OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-WRT841N (v5) USB

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

According to this wiki page, USB (at least for 1.1) is doable on my board, but I can't make sense of the two pictures and the accompanied instructions attached in that page.

Is there a place I could find more detailed/clear instructions on how to do this? Also, from those who have attempted this or have it installed and functioning, does it affect the stability/performance of the device? Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of before attempting this?

you solder your D+ wire to R185 and your D- wire to R183 (in both cases to the side facing to the middle of the board. then solder a wire to gnd (there are plenty of points) and connect a 7805 (or better some step-down converter) to the power jack and basically you've got everything you need for usb (like described in the wiki).

Thanks MSB, a few more queries: what is a "7805" and where do I get this? When you say "power jack", do you mean on the USB itself or somewhere else?

As you've probably gathered by now, I am a n00b, not an electronics engineer, though I've done a bit of soldering in my time on various electronic devices, but nothing complex.

Last query - I take it I could only use USB 1.1, but not 2.0 and if that is so, are there any side effects - is the board working as expected once I put the USB in place (provided I do it correctly, of course)? Many thanks!

The discussion might have continued from here.