OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link router not accepting factory-bin filename

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,
i'm trying to install openwrt on my TP-Link TL-WR740N.
It has an AR9331 and is Version4. I downloaded the vactory-bin file and tried to upgrade with web interface.
Unfortunately it says: "Error code: 18005 Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name."

I downloaded the openwrt firmware from this page: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr741nd
The tl-wr741nd should be the same route only with not fixed antennas (or am i wrong?).

How can i find out what the correct Filename is? On the site someone wrote that there is a basic check for the filename
but what is the correct one?

I tried to find it out by downloading the newest firmware from TP-Link. But this didn't work.

Can someone help me?
Is there anybody out there who also has this router?

Olaf

It's not a problem to get the openwrt bin. The Problem is the current Firmware which checks
for the correct filename. Is there anybody out there who has this router with openwrt?
Olaf

Excerpt from 741 wiki:

Note: Newer TP-Link retail firmwares (confirmed on v2.4 devices, but definitely not on v2.0) include a crude mechanism to prevent you uploading unsuitable firmware. It does this by checking the filename, so you may need to rename the *-factory.bin file to the name of a TP-Link retail firmware file. e.g. wr741nv1_en_3_12_4_up(100910).bin

I renamed the factory.bin file to "wr741nv1_en_3_12_4_up(100910).bin" and tried to submit it but the Router doesn't accept it says:
"Error code: 18005 Upgrade unsuccessfully because the version of the upgraded file was incorrect. Please check the file name."
Thanks for your reply Nilfred. Do you have this router?
Olaf

Gotcha!
Thanks "fyi"! You made my day!
I don't know why, but it worked:-)

I wish you all a happy and peaceful 2012!

Olaf

The discussion might have continued from here.