OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Linksys Cisco E3000 v1 / WRT-610N v2 / Asus RT-N16 hardware on trunk

The content of this topic has been archived between 30 Apr 2013 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

@VeNoM

Hey, I'd like to work with you on the OpenWRT on brcm47xx project.

If I'm correct, you have an ASUS RT-N16, correct?

I have a Cisco/Linksys E3000 -- I've been using your builds, and have also played around with building my own. I just found your config file today; I will probably be building off of your config file.

I've been using the 'git' server for OpenWRT -- I have my own VPS/server, and I have git hosting set up there. I will probably end up pushing my OpenWRT fork over to the server; if you'd like access to the project and git source control, we can work something out.

I think using git is a lot easier than attempting to maintain a series of patches -- instead of having people checkout the OpenWRT source and apply patches, they can simply 'git clone' the source from my server, and do 'git checkout brcm47xx'

Using git will also allow easier patching from revision to revision, by using 'git checkout master; git pull upstream master; git checkout brcm47xx; git merge master'

If you're interested in working together, please contact me. If you're not really familiar with git, I'd love to teach you, as well.

@unforgiven512 please also contact George Kashperko <george@znau.edu.ua> - he's the author of the patches for rt-n16/e3000

maurer is right, you should contact George Kashperko <george@znau.edu.ua>. He is the author of the patches.
The "problem" as I see it is that development for brcm47xx is advancing fast and George's patches usualy work only one/two days after he's updated his patches.
For the last build I had to use revision 30420 from the same day that he released the patches so you won't be able to always have the latest revision until George updates his patches. But it will be easier for other people to checkout the patched sources with a custom .config and just build it.

http://www.znau.edu.ua/temp/asus-rt-n16/

@VeNoM: Could you tell the smart way to flash new version of your image on place of the old one, please.

1. open LuCI, go to System > Backup and click on Generate archive
2. install Asus rt-n16 utilities http://usa.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN16/#download
3. connect your computer to one of the LAN ports of the router. Manually set your computer IP address to 192.168.1.2
4. plug in the router while holding the reset button on the back of the router. Keep the reset button pressed until Power LED starts blinking slowly. This puts the router in recovery mode, which is necessary to flash using the Asus Firmware Restoration utility. If you try using the restoration utility and the router is not in recovery mode or is not connected it will say, "No wireless device in recovery mode is found"
5. run Firmware Restoration Utility which you installed in step 2. In Firmware Restoration browse for the firmware image and click Upload
6. telnet to the router with putty and set root password with "passwd"
7. open LuCI, go to System > Backup and restore the backup you created at step 1

This works very well with jffs, but should also work with squashfs.

(Last edited by VeNoM on 28 Feb 2012, 15:51)

I have a WRT610n v2 model with dd-wrt and I'd like to flash it with VeNoM's builds, whats the approach here?

I have some other questions too, sorry if they sound noob:

1. Whats the status on WRT610n v2 development? Will there be any stable / official relese of OpenWRT on this device?
2. Whats the status on GMAC driver development?
2. Is the standard CFE (no e3000 CFE mod) bring any disadvantages to OpenWRT?
3. @VeNoM: Is there a possibility to build any released package to this device? Will the standard trunk packages from openwrt site for this architecture work? (i'm guessing not)

I'd like to help with the develop but as I'm a beginner a have only CPU power and some free space on www to donate.

(Last edited by bochen415 on 2 Mar 2012, 02:01)

4. These will work http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/brcm47xx/packages
opkg.conf is already modified with this source.

src/gz snapshots http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/brcm47xx/packages
dest root /
dest ram /tmp
lists_dir ext /var/opkg-lists
option overlay_root /overlay
arch all 1
arch mipsel 200
arch brcm4716 20
arch brcm47xx 10

(Last edited by VeNoM on 2 Mar 2012, 11:53)

Thanks.

Working just fine on WRT610n v2 although there's some problem with the WiFi led. Only the 2.4GHz radio working. Speeds up to 300mbps reported by luci webgui, still checking that. I did an update from dd-wrt webgui with VeNoM's build. There are some issue's with the package sources (double packages).

bochen415 wrote:

Thanks.

Working just fine on WRT610n v2 although there's some problem with the WiFi led. Only the 2.4GHz radio working. Speeds up to 300mbps reported by luci webgui, still checking that. I did an update from dd-wrt webgui with VeNoM's build. There are some issue's with the package sources (double packages).

Got a question. When you say only 2.4GHz radio working, do you mean only the 2.4GHz LED working or the actual 5GHz frequency radio does not work. If that's the case, then I'll hold off moving to OpenWRT.

Thanks.

LogicoZone wrote:

Got a question. When you say only 2.4GHz radio working, do you mean only the 2.4GHz LED working or the actual 5GHz frequency radio does not work. If that's the case, then I'll hold off moving to OpenWRT.

Thanks.

Only 2.4 radio working. No 5GHz radio support in my case.

The RT-N16 does not have a working 5ghz radio no matter what firmware you use. It doesn't matter if you use stock firmware, dd-wrt or openwork you will never see a working 5ghz radio. Let me explain:

Although the hardware the RT-N16 uses (BCM4718) has a 5 GHz radio, ASUS didn't put the circuitry in to support it. For more information regarding this visit look at the RT-N16 review at smallnetbuilder:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless … r-reviewed

(Last edited by azdps on 5 Mar 2012, 05:42)

azdps wrote:

The RT-N16 does not have a working 5ghz radio no matter what firmware you use. It doesn't matter if you use stock firmware, dd-wrt or openwork you will never see a working 5ghz radio. Let me explain:

Although the hardware the RT-N16 uses (BCM4718) has a 5 GHz radio, ASUS didn't put the circuitry in to support it. For more information regarding this visit look at the RT-N16 review at smallnetbuilder:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless … r-reviewed

We're talking about Linksys WRT610n v2 which has the hardware possibility to work in two bands simultaneously but VeNoM's builds don't support 5GHz radio.

(Last edited by bochen415 on 5 Mar 2012, 09:46)

I sent George Kashperko an email and asked him if the 5ghz radio works on the WRT610N V2 with the work he's done so far and he said no it does not work.

George Kashperko should know since he's the one who has made it possible for OpenWrt to support WRT610N V2 and RT-N16 etc.

just a small fyi
i tested lasted build from VeNoM and i managed to get 10 MB/s download through 11n wifi but only limited at 130mbps - i believe there is no 40MHz channel option available.
high no of re-transmissions/retries made me go back to tomato...

So today I decided to finally flash OpenWRT onto my RT-N16. I tried George Kashperko's latest patches (and also his prebuild image), but they both give an error during boot (ssb: ERROR: PMU cpu clock unknown for device 4716). The device does come online, but not much works (not even client DHCP).

VeNoM's build works perfectly, except that it's missing some kernel modules I need, and I can't find any source or patches anywhere. Does anbody know where I can find those?

That works, I probably should have tried that first.
Of course, after spending time configuring everything I find I'm getting 10-30% packet loss over wifi.. I'm pretty sure I tested this beforehand on VeNoM's build as well and it worked... Not feeling like reflashing again, so I i'll just ignore it for now *sigh*

I went back to the stock firmware to compare, and I'm still getting 10% packet loss (over like 3 meter..), so maybe something else broke.

is anyone else having problem with ethernet driver on recent builds? It looks to me like the driver happily does TX but drops everything when RX... ? This is what I observer on trunk 31118 with recent GK patches.

Razvi, are u using recent George patches or do you have some additional customisations, so you do not observe this issue on your build?

I did not have time to install the latest builds. I will install r31134 today to test it.