OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Linksys Cisco E3000 v1 / WRT-610N v2 / Asus RT-N16 hardware on trunk

The content of this topic has been archived between 30 Apr 2013 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

We recently switched to the "firmware" partition name in bcm47xx. This matches other targets (like Atheros) and is transparent for ppl using "sysupgrade".

Is someone (like you) prefer to use "mtd", then indeed, you have to use "firmware" partition name and not "linux".

alyubomirov wrote:

There is a new hibryd proprietary driver from Broadcom .
It is using cfg80211 for configuration.
http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
Can somebody try and make it work?

Do you think there is any difference between MIPS, ARM, x86 and x86_64?

Zajec wrote:
alyubomirov wrote:

There is a new hibryd proprietary driver from Broadcom .
It is using cfg80211 for configuration.
http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php
Can somebody try and make it work?

Do you think there is any difference between MIPS, ARM, x86 and x86_64?

Sorry my bad :{

Is the new Broadcom driver just adding support for more cards, or is there something major we should know about in relation to OpenWrt & Broadcom hardware?

Hi i dont get all the talk on this bard about drivers and all that lol if i install openwrt BB on my e3000 will it work? Will i be able to log in at 192.168.1.1 and set up my network?

Hi i installed a snapshot from the 18th on my e3000 and it is ok but i cant get the wifi to work in N mode and the 5ghz radio dus not show up. any way to fix?

I can confirm that the above build works.

I'm using trunk build r39792 which works so far for me - haven't tried any of venoms builds yet.

VeNoM, thanks for your hard work on this build.  Would this build work with the Belkin N300 HD (F7D7301) or the Belkin N600 HD (F7D8301)? I believe that the N300 has the same chip set as the Asus RT-N16.

Hi VeNoM,

I've RT-N16. Thanks for your builds, want to test. Don't be upset, there're many novices here, so I want to ask a few questions:

- can you explain briefly what's the difference btw your builds and official trunk snapshots?

- what's the difference btw your jffs2 and squashfs builds, .trx and .bin builds? Which one is preferred for what task(s)?

- there're many files listed under your link https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=227355#p227355 . Which file should I download for my router?

- what Linux kernel versions your builds and trunks' are based on?

- do your builds support USB EXT4 formatted thumbs and can work with them via Samba?

- in your "Packages" dir I can't find aria2, FreeSwitch and some others? Where I can install them from, compatible with yours and trunk FW builds for my router?

- give some links explaining how to compile and add my preferred packages to your build after install, or update already installed extras to latest versions?

I realize, some coders don't care to answer any questions, it becomes like a closed community for a few devs having fun with no meaningful purpose. But OpenWRT won't exist without new members. Before trying things, members want to understand how they're different, what are the benefits, at least post a changelog. I did read Wiki for my router, but its scarce, and small knowledge peaces dispersed around. Please answer my novice questions, or may be someone else would be willing to. Thanks. smile

(Last edited by sambul29 on 19 Mar 2014, 23:33)

Thanks VeNoM,

Does your build fully support the latest brcm-wl WiFi driver with correct config, so a user wouldn't have any headaches with using WiFi at full speed supported by RT-N16 WiFi chipset? No WiFi re-config required?

How can I add the EXT4 module you linked to a OpenWRT build? Can you integrate it with your build? Will it automount and allow use EXT4 with Samba?

(Last edited by sambul29 on 24 Mar 2014, 22:27)

Is openssh part of the build, or is it pulled in by the package manager?   What I'm getting at, is I'm wondering if it is safe to use VeNoM's last build, or if we need a new one to fix HeartBleed?

Does anyone know if special instructions are needed to do our own builds.   e.g. If I just grab the git trunk and follow normal openwrt build instructions will I get something likely to work?   Or do I need to apply patches and set configuration settings I might not think of to get something that works?

I'm currently using TomatoUSB on both my routers.  For the most part it works well.  I did however put openwrt on an NSLU2 to play around, and I found it suits my needs much better.   For the most part I configure everything from the command line, so with TomatoUSB the UI just gets in my way.  Really though, the only thing I want on my router that I can't get with TomatoUSB is EXT4 support.   I'm in no huge rush, but it sounds like broadcom modules are now stable enough that it is a good time to get involved, so eventually when barrier breaker is released there is out stable of the box support for Asus RT-N16.   By that time, I will have likely replaced both my routers with something else, but I tend to use hardware until it stops working.   As an old router still makes a decent wireless access point/relay, and the Asus RT-N16 is powerful enough to make a better server than my old NSLU2.   So I'll probably be using these routers for something for a very very long time.

Hi I was running  Asus RT-N16 as a home NAS and Server with dd-wrt.
The setup was
RT-N16 as client to home wifi and also provider to one legacy device that for some reason cannot connect to it.
1 usb drive for optware and route for the things I do on the router
Additional USB drive 500GB as NAS drive and for backups.

Now the issue I have with http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/asus/rt-n16 is that for some reason openwrt is not able to spin up both drives. And even if it will make it once SAMBA kicks in the drive dies producing FS errors.
Now due to all of this I am making a backup of all my data on another drive and am open to experimentation.

Any help is appreciated perhaps somebody has a build I could try?

Installed latest trunk on my RT-N16 yesterday - Wifi doesn't work.
The wifi interface is up & running, but connecting fails and dmesg output is:
"brcmsmac bcma0:0: wl0: brcms_c_d11hdrs_mac80211: AC_VO txop exceeded phylen 137/256 dur 1602/1504"
On the client side I'm getting an authentification error.
Any clue how to get wifi up & running again?

Compiled and installed trunk r40862 - now wifi(brcmsmac) is working again - maybe the mistake was on my side.
Transfer rates are not great, but for things like streaming I  resort to dLan.

Could I find r40862  somewhere ?

Quickest way is compile it yourself.

Any one no what the e3000 is like on latest trunk now? Any 5ghz?

Symptom: ifconfig only shows lo (loopback device).

Cause :
The gmac driver on my E3000 is not loading when I compiled from git (pulled on June 30th). It is Adjustment r41408.
However when I load the default .bin from http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/e3000 then it works fine.  I choose BCM947xx/953xx for the target system in the configuration. Target profile is BCM43xx. I also chose tigon3 in modules/network devices. However the gmac is not getting loaded. 

Analysis: I did a check to make sure patches from http://www.znau.edu.ua/temp/asus-rt-n16/openwrt-bcm4716-README.txt are in attitude-adjustment.

What am I missing. Is it config or patches ...

There is no bgmac in Adjustme(nt). You need to compile from trunk (Barrier Breaker rc1+ right now).

I actually got the source from git so am top of trunk already so I must be right now. I said attitude adjustment because  the make menuconfig said so.   BTW : where is bgmac code so I can backport directly.

For ex: git log says
==============================================
commit 1abb1b91c3c506575901118a0c365fae605846a8
Author: nbd <nbd@3c298f89-4303-0410-b956-a3cf2f4a3e73>
Date:   Mon Jun 30 06:50:54 2014 +0000

scripts: unset GREP_OPTIONS in env and feeds (fixes #16924)

Signed-off-by: Felix Fietkau <nbd@openwrt.org>

Backport of r41407

git-svn-id: svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/branches/attitude_adjustment@41408 3c298f89-4303-0410-b956-a3cf2f4a3e73

commit e179646fe63b8556b732d4edb3c8df5fd0e08402
Author: nbd <nbd@3c298f89-4303-0410-b956-a3cf2f4a3e73>
Date:   Sun Jun 22 16:48:08 2014 +0000

AA: tools: fix b43-tools build dependencies

Signed-off-by: Tim Niemeyer <tim.niemeyer@mastersword.de>

git-svn-id: svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/branches/attitude_adjustment@41303 3c298f89-4303-0410-b956-a3cf2f4a3e73
=======================================================