OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Configuring Guest WLAN on WNDR3700

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

Its been a long time since I've used OpenWRT but ever since I got my fresh new router and needed samba 3 support, I decided to switch. Unfortunately, the HowTo on the Guest WLAN just didnt work for me. I found the following configuration the best for my network.

Letting you know know now that I have 1 Private Network on radio0 (the bgn) and 1 Public Network on radio0. I also have the same set up on radio1 (the an 5Ghz).

So this is my following configuration:

I added this to my /etc/config/network:

config interface guest
        option proto static
        option ipaddr 10.0.0.1
        option netmask 255.255.255.0
        option type bridge

I added this to my /etc/config/wireless:

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'device' 'radio0'
        option 'network' 'guest'
        option 'mode' 'ap'
        option 'ssid' 'Public Network'
        option 'encryption' 'none'

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'device' 'radio1'
        option 'mode' 'ap'
        option 'network' 'guest'
        option 'ssid' 'Public Network 5G'
        option 'encryption' 'none'

I added this to my /etc/config/dhcp:

config dhcp guest
        option interface guest
        option start 100
        option limit 150
        option leasetime 1h

I added this to my /etc/config/firewall:

config zone
        option name 'guest'
        option input REJECT
        option forward REJECT
        option output ACCEPT

config forwarding
        option src guest
        option dest wan

config rule
        option src guest
        option dest_port 53
        option proto tcpudp
        option target ACCEPT

config rule
        option src guest
        option src_port 67-68
        option dest_port 67-68
        option proto udp
        option target ACCEPT

and thats it! This configuration gave me a 4 wireless networks and also took care of the problem I was having before with the Guest Networks not getting an ip address. Now, guest networks get an ip address. Also, I noticed that guest networks cannot access 192.168.1.1 or the router homepage. I hope this helps somebody, as I wasnt able to do it with the guide that was posted on the openwrt website.

Enjoy guys! Thanks for everything!

(Last edited by checkm8 on 10 Dec 2011, 18:23)

Thats exactly the same procedure which is documented in the wiki, with two differences:
- you made the guest interface a bridge, which is correct if you attach two aps to it
- you bridged the guest networks to wan, which makes no sense at all and only works by accident

jow thank you for your reply. Ive been afraid to ask, but what would be the correct configuration then for the Guest WLAN on the WNDR3700?

What do you mean this only works by accident?

Thanks ahead of time for your reply and im sorry if i confused anybody with my configuration.

I confused it with another model. Anyway, the "option ifname eth0.2" part is unecessary snake-oil, there is no vlan2 defined by default.
The only difference that remains between your config and the one in the wiki is the "option type bridge".

jow thank you so much. I removed 'option ifname eth0.2' and it still works perfectly.

Thanks! I will edit the original so it doesnt confuse anyone.

You're welcome. Actually I wouldn't mind adding the bridge directive to the wiki howto as it does not really hurt, even when only a signle guest network is used.

jow wrote:

You're welcome. Actually I wouldn't mind adding the bridge directive to the wiki howto as it does not really hurt, even when only a signle guest network is used.

Please add this to the wiki howto. I had to search the forums for this answer to find out why the howto did not work for me.

joszz wrote:

Please add this to the wiki howto. I had to search the forums for this answer to find out why the howto did not work for me.

It took me a long time to find this out too. I've edited the wiki as you've suggested.

The discussion might have continued from here.